Advice on painting a rear arch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Hi all after a bit of advice
Now JSWMBO is installed in her new beetle I need to sell the Punto now this car is mint full history and 62k the only thing that spoils it is a scabby back arch so I'm going to paint it, now I'm no stranger to bodywork but its a while since I've done any and I guess products have moved in that time, so here is my plan

1. Remove rust with angle grinder and wire brush on drill
2. Treat with rust preventative
3. Fill and sand
4. Primer
5. Paint
6. Laquer
7. Buff and polish

Any advice on grade of wet and dry I should use, colour is a light green metallic and any other pointers?

All comments and advice greatly received

TIA

I will watch this with interest as my 190 has four rusty arches and the odd scab elsewhere .

I've touched in and painted panels before , but never metallics .

Won't be using 2k as it's going to be done in my garage so it will be synthetic high build primer followed by synthetic metallic and then crystal lacquer all from rattle cans this has to be a cheap job as it will be a low value sale when done

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hmm ......... you may have problems with blending, the materials & method you are going to use is ok for wing mirror covers and bumper trims etc etc.

Hmm ......... you may have problems with blending, the materials & method you are going to use is ok for wing mirror covers and bumper trims etc etc.

Must admit its the blending that concerns me the most with synthetics, which is why I'm seeking advice. Thinking about doing the blending before the laquer?

Thoughts?

E270 Owner said:
Sell as it is :cool:

Not an option I'd never sell a car with a fault on it or scabs not even a cheap runner for £20 I can sort the arch and get that back on the price Weather looking good here and off work so might give it a shot today

Point is I would never buy a car with a poor repair on it, rather see it as it is and fix it myself,
a buyer will wonder what else has been "patched up" if the arch isnt perfect
and the only way to do that is put in in to a Pro.

The reason I said sell as it is was due to the fact you asked whether to blend before the lacquer,
you can only blend before lacquering :)

Last edited:
E270 Owner said:
you can only blend before lacquering :)

Depends what your definition of blend is you can do either before or after depending which paint system you use.

My definition is to match the new paint into the old paint done by machine polishing and abrasives

It's a £500 car FFS so why would I ever put it near a professional at £150 - £200 a panel

When I've done you won't tell the difference

What year Punto? Have a cousin after a cheap car. PM me or reply here.

E270 Owner said:
You seem to be too argumentative and contradictive to give constructive advice . So good luck with it. :( Blending means only one thing in car painting terms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fvSA27QrWI

Please read my OP I'm no stranger to bodywork but I'm doing the lip of an arch which I need to blend into the panel it's a cosmetic repair not a full panel paint where you blend the paint into the next panel as in your you tube clip . I need the lip to match the rest of the arch so will blend it with a MOP will post pics when it's done

I was after advice in materials not technique after 35 years in the trade it's a but late for that, materials move on rapidly and I was seeking advice in that respect

Not been argumentative at all and if it were any if my other cars it would go to my regular painter but there's no money in it to do that hence I'll effect a £20 cosmetic repair but it will be done correctly with the rust ground out, treated filled and painted to match

Flango, I applaud your thinking, but good luck trying for an exact match with light green metallic; it's a b****r to do with a rattle can. Let us know if you DO get a perfect match; I never have, on more than one car in that colour.

mct_cars said:
What year Punto? Have a cousin after a cheap car. PM me or reply here.

It's a 2001 Punto ELX on a Y reg, 3 door with only 64,000 in light metallic green (verde demetra 375/a) bought the paint yesterday :)

I bought the car just over 3 years ago when my daughter went to Uni with the promise I'd buy her a beetle on graduation which I bought last week so the Punto needs to go

During our ownership I have replaced the exhaust including the cat, done the head gasket, crank oil seal, and new pads and shoes it's just gone through it's test with no advisories and as it's my daughters car it as been maintained impeccably as her safety is paramount.

Apart from the osr arch the rest of the paint is perfect and the interior is mid blue cloth and unmarked

It's a good honest car and not the usual Italian rot box only had 40,000 on when I bought it and was above average. It's been a great car and she will be sad to see it go, there's always something about your first car that stays with you

E55BOF said:
Flango, I applaud your thinking, but good luck trying for an exact match with light green metallic; it's a b****r to do with a rattle can. Let us know if you DO get a perfect match; I never have, on more than one car in that colour.

Thanks I will do, I might make a total ar*e of it but at least I will have tried. I think I can do the lip and then buff into the arch

We'll see, just waiting for a decent day weather been shocking here last few days so hopefully will get it done this weekend but forecast not looking good and I'm off to the States Monday

Last edited:
"there's always something about your first car that stays with you". There certainly was/is. My first car was a Renault Dauphine. It was an absolute SHED, in almost every way. Just to give you a flavour, I quote from the seller: "there's a little crack in the block, but I've fixed it with Isopon". I was nineteen, and knew no better then.

I've never forgotten it, but I've certainly tried to do so...

E55BOF said:
"there's always something about your first car that stays with you". There certainly was/is. My first car was a Renault Dauphine. It was an absolute SHED, in almost every way. Just to give you a flavour, I quote from the seller: "there's a little crack in the block, but I've fixed it with Isopon". I was nineteen, and knew no better then. I've never forgotten it, but I've certainly tried to do so...

Mine was a 1972 Hillman Avenger and I thought I had a Rolls Royce bought it at the auctions for £80 and sold it a year later for £120 Replaced it with a Saab 99 turbo which got me hooked so that disappeared and was replaced with a Dealer Team Vauxhall Chevette HS I fell in love with rallying and the rest as they say is history

Blend with mopping ??

35 years in what trade ??

Sorry but you seem not to have a clue what you are doing, but have fun doing it anyway
its all ways best to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all.

Its a t-shirt I have worn many times..........

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom