Advice on replacing timing chain CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drum2004

Car
CLK 320 Mercedes
Hi Everyone,
Hope you can advise concerning when and if I should replace Timing Chain on my 2005 CLK 3.2 coupe. It is approaching 120K miles and there are as yet no problems with the chain currently.
I have read advice from a number of forums some saying leave well alone and others saying better safe than sorry so go ahead and replace. I change engine oil every six months or so and the car runs well and is serviced as needed.
The repercussions I am told can be significant should problems emerge, anyone in Leicestershire area who can recommend local independent technician to me who does this kind of work and likely costs would be appreciated.
Drum2004

You could try speaking to Mercland in Nuneaton, they deal exclusively with secondhand Mercs, they post very regularly on the forum advertising second hand Mercedes and I know they service them having visited them recently to look at a car

There's actually a special MB tool to determine chain wear.

Frankly I doubt the chain is worn unless its been run on very crappy oil.

I see them (MB engines) with very high mileages on them and the chains are in most cases still in good condition. Remember its not a timing belt!!!:cool:
Tuercas Viejas

Waste of money

If it's not rattling it's probably ok :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom