Aftermarket double din replacement for a 2004 CL203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonny1980

Car
'04 C320 Coupe
Hi,

I have a 2004 C320 Coupe, which I believe its code name is CL203?
It has a Comand unit. I think it's the NTG2.

Has anyone replaced this with an aftermarket solution, like a JVC KW-M730BT or Kenwood DMX-7017DABS ?

I'm interested on being able to use Car Play or Android Auto but just want to make sure it will work fine on a car as old as this... Also don't know if the steering wheel controls would still work with one of the above?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Sonny,

It's been a year since you posted this. I'm investigating the 2018 solutions. Are you still looking for info?

BSG

Hi,

I gave up when I found out that some coding is required to be able to change some settings on the cluster, that now are done through the Comand unit, like the time, since I don’t know anyone that could do that for me.

And time went by and now I guess I’m closer to sell the car anytime soon so, probably I’ll keep the Comand.

Hi,

I gave up when I found out that some coding is required to be able to change some settings on the cluster, that now are done through the Comand unit, like the time, since I don’t know anyone that could do that for me.

And time went by and now I guess I’m closer to sell the car anytime soon so, probably I’ll keep the Comand.

Interesting.

I had a conversation with Xtrons about their 2018 version Android head units. I asked them that exact question about the new unit continuing to do the features that the Comand does now and they said the unit itself comes with a CANBUS extender to use the buttons on the steering wheel and with the addition of the optical decoder the old Comand features would continue to work too.

The unit :
Android 8.0 Octa Core 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM Multimedia DVD Player with 7" Display Custom Fit for Mercedes-Benz | Xtrons

The optical decoder
XTRONS Optical Fiber Decoder Box for Mercedes-Benz E / CLS / SLK / SL / CLK Series | Xtrons

It's tough one. My W203 C230 Coupe V6 has only done 50k in 12 years. I doubt I'd get more than £3.5k for it.

The unit is £320 and the optical decoder is £80. Worth £400 for an upgrade though?

Lovely ride mind. :)

Interesting - I have the same dilemma for my 2004 cl500. I'll ask them if the fiber decoder will work for that too

thanks. I'm also exploring adding a DAB+ receiver with bluetooth that can work through the aux inputs to keep the headunit and the original look

In a nutshell.

The CANBUS network in the car connects the ECUs and other sensors / "non entertainment" devices together including the buttons on the steering wheel so they can all talk to each other.

The MOST network is a loop around the car (can be optical or wire) and is used for in car entertainment devices. Each device has a 12V feed and as the network is a loop, if one of the devices on it fails, then the loop fails as the signal cannot pass around the loop.

In this situation, if you then turned on the Comand, the unit would check the loop and turn off again. Nice video showing troubleshooting of that.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Image of how to two networks interact.

209801d1305503759-glove-box-cd-changer-removal-networking.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom