Aftermarket HU considerations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
I have now all but discounted, the idea of fitting an NTG2.5 COMAND in my A200 C169, as it'll be basically replacing an ancient technology (Audio 20 NTG2), with a medieval one (COMAND NTG2.5) for an awful lot of money, considering it'll be a used unit (a brand new one costs about half the car's worth, if not more).

Therefore, the choices are:

• Brand name (Pioneer, Kenwood, et al) aftermarket 6.5" head unit with a 169 'fascia', and most likely, at least one additional, inner frame;
  • Model-specific (W169) Chinese 7" head unit, looking very similar to the Mercedes OE design, from the likes of Xtrons or Erisin;
  • Model-specific, Chinese 9" head unit from Erisin, with a larger screen, taking advantage of the entire space available for the HU in W169.
Option 1 would provide a better quality, at a significantly higher price, but would look very aftermarket and untidy - I hate those multi-frame setups.

Option 2 is practically indistinguishable from the original Mercedes COMAND unit, and with 8-core processor and 2GB memory should be alright.

Option 3 is not pretending to be a Mercedes unit, and yet offers a large, custom fitted screen, and looks very modern. I also like the fact that, it doesn't have a DVD drive, so no moving parts and better heat management.

I've done a mock-up of the option 3, and, to my surprise quite like it - considering the interior is already modified, it doesn't look out of place:

35313042453_9c71fd434c_o.jpg

current interior

36121224485_3b7871c6dd_o.jpg

old pic, interior wasn't yet finished, but a better view of the head unit

And yes, I know - it's a bit of a gamble quality-wise, however I looked at statistics, and as bad as some of them are, a good proportion of these Chinese units works fine.
No DVD drive and a single-DIN back should improve reliability too, I hope.

Yes, I remember yours, in fact I have a thread bookmarked ... somewhere :thumb:

Though probably no photos any more.

Yeah ... thanks photobucket! I should've pdf-printed it.
I might bother you via PM for some pics, if that's okay?
Wiring and connectors, etc ...

Personally I would go for the Pioneer etc. If the space vacated is a double din then straight fit. If not, most have fascia adapters available.
It all depends on if you want the OEM look or not. Keep the old one and bung it back in when you want to sell it

Yes, I looked at those. I'm surprised there are any positive ones at all - most people only bother with reviews, if things go horribly wrong. Considering the amount of units they sell ... Still a fair chance it'll go belly up, but this is a less complicated version, without DVD player, so fingers crossed.

Personally I would go for the Pioneer etc. If the space vacated is a double din then straight fit. If not, most have fascia adapters available.

It is a double-DIN, and it's not a straight fit - that's the point: I can stand those cascading, frame within frame, setups - no matter how good the fascia is, it's still looks like something was stuck to a wrong place, where it wasn't supposed to be.

It might be a [long forgotten] designer in me, but it bugs me a lot to see this - the actual HU looks smaller, because of the surround and fascia, all this space around it is wasted, and it looks like a business suit from Oxfam.

It all depends on if you want the OEM look or not. Keep the old one and bung it back in when you want to sell it

Well, I thought I only wanted the OEM look, hence the option 2 was at the top of the list, but having played with an image of option 3, I have now decided to go for it. :thumb:

As to the original Audio 20 head unit, and more to the point - the entire MOST setup - I'll keep it for a couple of months, if that, but most likely will get rid of all the redundant components - CDC, UHI, phone console (already bought a brand new replacement sliding box), etc - no point having these, when they can't even be used with an NTG2.5 COMAND, never mind any aftermarket HU.

Well, it's here and it's big!

Yes, I know it's the same overall size as the existing unit, but it looks massive.

I like it:

36163335952_866970d0e8_o.jpg

:thumb:

Testing done, looks good, in my opinion:

36221213711_541e4806d6_o.jpg

It runs very cool, helped by the newest octa-core CPU, no moving parts, and only a single DIN box, so it'll have a much better air circulation, once fitted.

hu

looks good, i agree i would not have a factory hu, i have a aftermarket hu bt,usb.
also removed all fatory speakers, (6x9s in rear) a four channel amp & a 15 sub/amp.

Which amp and speakers you picked?
I'm not terribly proficient in the audio field, just want my music played nice and clear ...

Where did you get the unit from in the end? Also what you using for the steering controls?

Bought it directly from Erisin outlet in the UK, with 30-day return and 2yr warranty via UK-registered company (VAT No, etc). The have an eBay store.

As to steering wheel controls, unless it works via canbus out of the box, I'll have to look into the matter further ...

Trying to find the one you got on the site but can't seem to see it. Also will it work with the sub in your boot?

It's ES6982B 9" octa-core (8-core) unit.

Theoretically, with the dual-channel CanBus everything should work - the subwoofer is not on the fibre optic network, so no re-wiring is required.

Watching with interest as you have the same sub and headunit as my B Class. I've fitted the Parrot kit in it and if the headunit is off then there is no power to the rear sub, hence the lack of bass.

Hopefully, will be able to update by the end of next week.

i have 6x9 jvc rear & kenwood in front a fli 4 channel amp, a FLI A 12" inch (not 15)Active Amplified Subwoofer Box with a pioneer hu bt/usb/aux. well worth swapping out the factory audio, and not to difficult

i have 6x9 jvc rear & kenwood in front a fli 4 channel amp, a FLI A 12" inch (not 15)Active Amplified Subwoofer Box with a pioneer hu bt/usb/aux. well worth swapping out the factory audio, and not to difficult

Well, that's a lot more power :thumb: , than I'm planning at the moment - I will get an external amp at a later date, but for now it'll be just what HU pumps out.

PS I wanted to ask you a couple of questions, but there's no PM facility yet, would you be so kind and email me to david.glk AT mail.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom