Air boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
So put my standard air boxes back on and the car doesn't whine as much now :(. Also feels a little slower as well.

Also, am I missing something here? The y piece at the back of charger is loose and comes off. I reckon it's meant to be a clip and a previous owner has broken it.

V25g6HB.jpg

Last edited:
Also, is this the standard heat exchanger? It's a Behr part.

qQ4zvvm.jpg

Yep that Plastic clips break, I've put a Large Steel Jubilee clip round mine, Also if your suck air in there it will impact performance.

The Oe Pipe is £95 +vat from Mb. And blimey i forgot how tiny the standard H/c is Rotfl

Cheers Gav. I think it's ok as the pipe doesn't move with the boxes in place, but I think I will go back to the other filters as I miss the whine lol.

Yeah it looks small. I'll have to get the larger one ordered soon.

You're probably missing a metal bracket no. 179. Should be a few quid from the dealer.

307524-need-some-help-80-82mm-throttle-body-e55-80mm-snout.jpg

Will I need 176 and 182 as well? Could someone take a close up of the area please?

Does that plastic bit coming from the y piece near the bottom connect to anything?

It looked like it's just a retaining clip holding the y piece down to the top of the s/c body.

Its a bit dark now but I'll check in the am and move that bit of hose out the way and take another clearer pic.

You can't see the bracket from above with the air boxes mounted. Got to take them off to get to it. It bolts to the throttle body.

Does anyone know what the size of the 3 ends are on the Y pipe?

I cant see how that clip works?

The bracket in the MB exploded view is pictured upside down. When you get to it, it will be clear(-ish) how to fit it. Are your PCV hoses intact?

Last edited:
The bracket in the MB exploded view is pictured upside down. When you get to it, it will be clear(-ish) how to fit it. Are your PCV hoses intact?

Yes I believe they are.

They will be the same as the opposite ends on the heads.

I was just wondering if anyone had the measurement to save me measuring the pipe.

I'm considering replacing the Y pipe with a silicone pipe and VTA the breathers.

Lazy get!

:devil::D

12mm for the small barbed ends, 20mm for the big one. I went with the 3/8" & 5/8" hoses when I fitted a catch can.

lol, I meant the big bits that go onto the airboxes and the intake lol

lol, I meant the big bits that go onto the airboxes and the intake lol

As been said, the hose tail ends will be the same size on the heads and airboxes. Unless I misunderstood something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom