air conditioning Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Hi
Looking to purchase a portable air conditioner unit for my lounge for about £400. Can anyone recommend one and how noisy are they compared to a fan on full.

Many thanks

Buy a proper split unit. If you get one with heat pump as well it will be very useful in winter.

all-in-one units are very noisy indeed.

Hi
A split wall/floor mounted would be best.(quitest)
Try to buy the the most efficient you can afford. CAT A,A+
Apply approx 120 watts capacity per sq/m.
Try to avoid chinese brands,can be very difficult to get spare parts in the future.
Best of luck.

As mentioned above get a proper unit fitted, ours was installed at home (Toshiba) 25 years ago without a single problem.

Thanks for your replies, it sounds a PITA to me, i don't think i will bother, it looks like the fan again if we get a summer.

Thanks for your replies, it sounds a PITA to me, i don't think i will bother, it looks like the fan again if we get a summer.

You might be surprised at some of the offers there are off season. Just locally to me a company were offering a single room install of a proper system for £800.
The portable one's a faff as you have to get the tube outside etc and they are never quiet.

Paid a grand for my Mitsubishi 9000btu split unit for a morning sun facing smallish bedroom and have never slept so well. That included a three year warranty and a complex pipe run into the loft, over and back out to the rear of the house as I didn't want the unit at the front. Had a portable unit which was a waste of time and too noisy to sleep with it on. The Mitsubishi is whisper quiet and cools the room down in about 20 mins. I unmm'd and arrrr'd for months and now my only regret is that if isn't do it sooner. Get a combined unit with a heat pump and you will only pay 5% VAT

Last edited:
Got a 3.5kw (IIRC) one of these installed in a garden room. Provides heat or cooling.
Under £500 and self install.

We have a SIP mobile unit. Yes it's too noisy to use whilst sleeping but we just use it on the 2 days of summer to cool down the bedroom before bed. Once we're asleep only a neutron bomb wakes us up lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom