airmatic ride height cls55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-durham

Car
2005 CLS55 AMG
Hello All,

im in the process of going through the cls55 thoroughly to try and get it to drive straight.

Even though its had all the arms replaced, track rods and a 4 wheel alignment, it still pulls to the left, badly.

I noticed the other day, there seems to be a disparity in the ride height between sides.

I have access to WIS etc where i was looking for the actual correct height values, but they seem to be given in degrees, rather than height from hub to arch lip. I also need to find somewhere perfectly level to take some proper measurements.

Now ive read that the system may need to be calibrated on STAR to get the ride heights correct.

I dont suppose anyone has got technical data on the ride height of a CLS55?

I've also got some play in both front wheel bearings which wont help matters, but i intend to replace these. But i think its vital to get the ride height correct before any further work is done on the alignment issues....

Now ive read that the system may need to be calibrated on STAR to get the ride heights correct.

I dont suppose anyone has got technical data on the ride height of a CLS55?

I am not sure on the CLS, but on the W211 STAR will allow adjustment on the front corners (individually) and rear (not individually).

When I first bought my car I always wondered why the ride heights were all over the place. The right side was higher than the left side. Using STAR, I have now managed to get the front ride height to match as close as possible, and because of the front adjustment this has also made the rears close up the difference in ride height.

So if you can get your hands on a STAR machine then you are good to go.

cheers, that makes sense, does star tell you what height is correct?> sorry ive never used it before

You work on voltages, increase/decrease the voltage to increase/decrease the ride height. However, you need make sure the voltages are still within spec. otherwise they will not save.

I was measuring my ride height manually.

Done this a few weeks ago as I wanted to set the stock ride height to match. I went for 26.25" front and 26.00" rears, measuring from floor to top of arch. Now that the stock ride height is set, I let the lowering control module take over for the lowered look.

I turn off the module for MOT's and where I need that extra height to clear any crap on the road.

Last edited:
ok cheers, have you stock wheels? im on 20's but i could likely calculate any difference that may make, dunno if the CLS is different height to the E. Was there much if any variance from side to side at the front after?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom