Alex's E55 AMG on 5th Gear right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Comparing it with a new model (not AMG)

Poor thing. Getting left behind by an E250. :D

They must have realised how close they were, else an E350 would have been a probable win.

What tyres did that E55 have? Flipping hell my CLK55's Tc doesn't kick in at all in the dry.

Abdul said:
What tyres did that E55 have? Flipping hell my CLK55's Tc doesn't kick in at all in the dry.

Nor does my C32........driven to make the results appear closer maybe? For an experienced racing driver you would have thought Tiff could launch a car far better than that!

I think it was more a case of just floor it and basically it proves how much improved the traction control was on the newer models.
More surprising was how well the A5 did against the Quattro

With these motoring icons we tend to forget just how old they are. The AUDI QUATTRO first came out in 1980? That's 34 years ago--- against the A5 which came out in 2007. One is left wondering if we have really come that far after all? My guess is car body safety[ hence weight] and fuel efficiency, neither of which would really show up in performance tests. The Quattro would be a bit of a deathtrap in frontals as the front of the engine is smack up against the grill= zero crumple zone before the engine block landed up beside you in the passenger compartment.

I think it was more a case of just floor it and basically it proves how much improved the traction control was on the newer models.

But my point is my TC rarely even comes on in the dry and that's me launching using tip set in 1st gear, foot hard down. The E55 should have wider tyres so no reason for TC to kick in like that unless the surface was greasy.. :dk:

My TC goes wild when I put my foot hard down! :)

Hi all!

It was mine :)

Yes what you see in the final edit is very different from what actually happened.

At the begining of the day they had an e350 cdi promised by MB press eventually said they lost it and substituted it with an E250.

As a result the results where far far off, so they ended up telling my car to brake at later and the e250cdi to brake later to make the results appear closer.

At the end they just made up the numbers! including the 0-60 time they quoted which is 5.9 they said...

Here are some videos from the day of filming, at Rockingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVEJ-ohwqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucmGV_QX4fE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom