All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect I’ll put them up for sale as they are virtually unused.

It will be interesting to see what others get offered in terms of tyres. Dealer didn’t seem to know what they would send them.

As an aside I think MB are keeping quiet about this new change of tyre policy as I did contact another dealer who said they knew nothing about it..... Might help to stick with your original dealer as they might be more accommodating...

To be honest I’m not sure how this has got to 33 pages as such a big issue

What spec are you looking at?

I'm looking at ex demo/lightly used to save a few quid so it depends on what the car comes with. I'd be happy with the 19 inch or 20 inch alloys, I actually prefer the look of the 19 inch alloys to the 20 inch '5' alloy that most of the E43s seem to have.

Cheers

I'm looking at ex demo/lightly used to save a few quid so it depends on what the car comes with. I'd be happy with the 19 inch or 20 inch alloys, I actually prefer the look of the 19 inch alloys to the 20 inch '5' alloy that most of the E43s seem to have.

Cheers

Good luck.

Indeed most seem to have those wheels although mine has the multi spokes.

Hi. I'm new to the MBClubUK but thought it would be a good place to be as I'm considering a new C63 Coupe. As the thought putting all that power through two wheels had me slightly bit nervous the sales guy suggested I try a C43 Coupe. The first thing he did when we got in the car was "explain" that the C43 4Matic had a "characteristic" which made the steering noisy on full lock on cold tyres. He duly demonstrated in the car park and the front end duly "clonked" as though the wheel was catching something. He said this was a steering box issue on RHD cars but was "nothing to be concerned about". I asked if there was a technical fix coming and was told "nothing planned as the RHD market is so small". At the end of the test I tried to get the car to make the same noise and it had gone. Sales guy said it disappeared when the tyres were warm and only occurred when they were cold , also it didn't do it in reverse on hot or cold tyres.

Having read this thread and others , premature tyre wear does seam to occur on the 4Matics. For no this has put me off a C43, so I'm still considering the C63.

To be fair I’m not qualified to comment having not driven new C63 but have driven plenty of new turbo generation M cars and the new Alfa thingy on road and track and the lack of traction in average conditions was quite tiring when you want to push on

I came from an RS4 and would have loved a c63 to keep the v8 but wanted the four wheel drive security for my daily car hence plumping for the E43 instead at about the same money

I have two powerful mid engine rear wheel drive cars so I can get my kicks from there

Ps I don’t think it was a coincidence when I recently saw the new 500bhp Alfa smashed up on a wet and cold roundabout a couple of weeks back.

Hi. I'm new to the MBClubUK but thought it would be a good place to be as I'm considering a new C63 Coupe. As the thought putting all that power through two wheels had me slightly bit nervous the sales guy suggested I try a C43 Coupe. The first thing he did when we got in the car was "explain" that the C43 4Matic had a "characteristic" which made the steering noisy on full lock on cold tyres. He duly demonstrated in the car park and the front end duly "clonked" as though the wheel was catching something. He said this was a steering box issue on RHD cars but was "nothing to be concerned about". I asked if there was a technical fix coming and was told "nothing planned as the RHD market is so small". At the end of the test I tried to get the car to make the same noise and it had gone. Sales guy said it disappeared when the tyres were warm and only occurred when they were cold , also it didn't do it in reverse on hot or cold tyres.

Having read this thread and others , premature tyre wear does seam to occur on the 4Matics. For no this has put me off a C43, so I'm still considering the C63.

Not sure exactly what's going on here with MB as it would appear that MB HQ have given the green light to retro fit ''all season'' tyres FOC to cars suffering from Mr Crabby. Now two things are stuck in my head over this: Firstly, where are all the dealers who use this site and why didn't they tell owners like us that MB were offering free tyres and secondly, why didn't Your MB dealer tell you this and offer to change the tyres!!! Am I missing something here or are MB playing flipping games again!!!!!!

:thumb::thumb:
Took the car to my local MB dealer for the tyre swap yesterday. All 4 tyres changed FOC; they even have wrapped and given me the 'old' tyres that have only got 2k miles on them! The crabbing seems to have disappeared! The turn into my drive is a very tight 270 deg and with the old tyres the crabbing was significant; not even a squeal today.

What are these miraculous tyres? From the original comments from the dealer I was told that they would be an all season/all weather compound. They turn out to be Continental SportContact 5 SSR. These are MOE (i.e runlet) which wasn't what I was expecting.

Are your new tyres still keeping Mr Crabby away?:thumb:

Not sure exactly what's going on here with MB as it would appear that MB HQ have given the green light to retro fit ''all season'' tyres FOC to cars suffering from Mr Crabby. Now two things are stuck in my head over this: Firstly, where are all the dealers who use this site and why didn't they tell owners like us that MB were offering free tyres and secondly, why didn't Your MB dealer tell you this and offer to change the tyres!!! Am I missing something here or are MB playing flipping games again!!!!!!

I think that you might be overestimating MBUK's use of this site.

I think that you might be overestimating MBUK's use of this site.
Even if only ''1'' dealer is watching this Thread and has decided not to comment I think it goes against grain of sites like this when users should be trying to help one-and-other... Only saying......

Yes he’s disappeared completely. Even around our multi-storey he doesn’t make an appearance

Incidentally is the thread depth the same on your new tyres compared to the original Conti's?:thumb:

I suspect that the all weather tyre option may not be fitted on the higher performance models because they may not be available in a suitable size/speed rating. The alternative might be to fit a high performance tyre with a tread pattern/design that permits a greater degree of movement across the width of the tread. Continental make great play of their macro block tread design in these high performance tyres so MB may have found this particular design minimises the crabbing effect- work in progress perhaps?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suspect that the all weather tyre option may not be fitted on the higher performance models because they may not be available in a suitable speed rating. The alternative might be to fit a high performance tyre with a tread pattern/design that permits a greater degree of movement across the width of the tread. Continental make great play of their macro block tread design in these high performance tyres so MB may have found this particular design minimises the crabbing effect- work in progress perhaps?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe but it would appear that MB are also fitting Bridgestone Potenza's so they obviously are hedging their bets.. Only time will tell I guess.

Did you ask the MB dealer why he didn't offer to change the tyres on the C43 to all weathers FOC?

Did you ask the MB dealer why he didn't offer to change the tyres on the C43 to all weathers FOC?

It was a test drive in a C43 demo car to see how the 4Matic compared to the RWD on the C63. I tried to replicate the crabbing when the tyres were warm but it behaved itself. At that point I wasn't aware of the fact that winter tyres could have an effect on the crabbing.

It was a test drive in a C43 demo car to see how the 4Matic compared to the RWD on the C63. I tried to replicate the crabbing when the tyres were warm but it behaved itself. At that point I wasn't aware of the fact that winter tyres could have an effect on the crabbing.

But it seems to have put you off the C43 or is the jury still out on this?

It has put me of the C43 , or any 4Matic which has an inherent design fault. I have owned several Audis and VWs with 4 wheel drive and never had an issue so until MB engineer out the problem I don't think I'll be buying one.

It has put me of the C43 , or any 4Matic which has an inherent design fault. I have owned several Audis and VWs with 4 wheel drive and never had an issue so until MB engineer out the problem I don't think I'll be buying one.
I might be wrong -sure someone will tell me soon enough- but think the C63's also suffer from a degree of crabbing during cold weather....

I might be wrong -sure someone will tell me soon enough- but think the C63's also suffer from a degree of crabbing during cold weather....

I have a 2013 c63 amg and there is some crabbing in the cold weather

I have a 2013 c63 amg and there is some crabbing in the cold weather

So clearly you think the C43 is much worse therefore it's an 'engineering' problem whereas the C63 crabbing is caused by what? Sorry just noticed You are not the person my question is directed at but it still stands for whoever wants to answer it....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom