All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Took car to dealer. Tech listened to my explanation and immediately advised that tyre was not correct (contisport 5P).

They are contacted MB and will call when correct tyres arrive for a swap

Also advised that I get to keep the old ones.

I didn’t even have to demonstrate the issue. They immediately knew.

How many miles have you covered on your current tyres?

My worry now is will they take good care of my alloys....

They are pristine and the slightest scratch will give me sleepless nights

Went to see a C43 coupe yesterday, loved it.
Spent last night on the configurator for an hour or so and then read the reviews and saw the gory details reference Mr Crabby.
Now I am unlikely to order the car as I know this will bother me constantly, real shame as I thought it was a great car and 9k less than the M4 I had specced up.

I think I will hold on for a couple of months to see if these tyre changes fix the problem.

My worry now is will they take good care of my alloys....

They are pristine and the slightest scratch will give me sleepless nights

Yep but if you can't trust MB who can you trust? Having said that at some point you will have to change your tyres anyway and probably better that MB do it than your local Kwik Fit

Went to see a C43 coupe yesterday, loved it.
Spent last night on the configurator for an hour or so and then read the reviews and saw the gory details reference Mr Crabby.
Now I am unlikely to order the car as I know this will bother me constantly, real shame as I thought it was a great car and 9k less than the M4 I had specced up.

I think I will hold on for a couple of months to see if these tyre changes fix the problem.

Why don't you ask your dealer to find you a C43 with the new tyres fitted and see how you get on. This time of year is exactly when you need to put Mr Crabby to the test as it virtually goes away during warmer months. I don't know for sure but assume that all new C43's will come with Conti SSR's as standard to mask the crabbing issue. Based on those people who have had their tyres changed over they report that the crabbing has gone. If this continues with all other owners then it's a pity that MB didn't fit these to start with as the whole crabbing debacle would never have started. Nice car though but whatever you go for make sure you do a like-for-like full-lock type test to ensure that your new baby doesn't have the same crabbing characteristic as the C43 as -if you read this thread- many other cars, including the mighty Porsche suffer from the same issue. Not what you would expect but it appears to be a fact. Good luck with whatever you choose:thumb:

i thought people here might be interested to know that i have a loaner (some old idiot hit my amg :( ) 2017 320d xdrive and it does this crabbing thing as well. Just noticed it whilst pulling out of my drive on full lock. Was a weird sensation.

On other hand it reinforces why 4WD is SO much better in cold wet weather, inspires a lot more confidence compared to mine, even on winters.

My dealer has responded acknowledging the problem on GLC but not on C class. They are investigating and will get back to me. Will update when I hear back

My dealer has responded acknowledging the problem on GLC but not on C class. They are investigating and will get back to me. Will update when I hear back
If it was me I would be phoning MB Customer Services and asking them what the hell is going on as owners have already had their tyres changed so it's hardly like you are making it up asking them to do the same for your car. MB really need to sort this out as it's pretty simple surely....

I don't own one yet, I am trying to find out the status prior to ordering.

I don't own one yet, I am trying to find out the status prior to ordering.

Doesn't matter as you are a 'potential' owner you can still phone MB and ask them they might be more accommodating if they think their answer may lead to a sale at some point. You have nothing to loose by asking. Good luck.

Doesn't matter as you are a 'potential' owner you can still phone MB and ask them they might be more accommodating if they think their answer may lead to a sale at some point. You have nothing to loose by asking. Good luck.

They'll tell you anything to get a sale, MB UK don't really understand what's going on at the factory either I'm sure.

RR

i thought people here might be interested to know that i have a loaner (some old idiot hit my amg :( ) 2017 320d xdrive and it does this crabbing thing as well. Just noticed it whilst pulling out of my drive on full lock. Was a weird sensation.
Well I never!

And I thought it was unique to RHD MB cars, because Daimler had made a massive design error? :dk: :rolleyes:

Well early this morning I hit a huge pothole destroying the drivers side front tyre , had to call out the AA who subsequently got a low loader out to recover the car.

Once loaded up , the driver said “where too guv” - I suggested the only place where I knew they could get tyres same day and that was Halfrauds .

15 minutes later , the guys there had my car jacked up , and wheel inspected , luckily no damage to the rim but a big gash in the tyre .

“We only have Firestone’s in stock sir” - well I didn’t have much choice but to have 2 fitted (didn’t want to drive on mismatched tyres).

Anyway - £280 later and the crabbing is completely gone - I’ve been reversing in and out , full locking out of parking spaces and not a whiff of a judder or thump - so every cloud has a silver lining!

Well I never!

And I thought it was unique to RHD MB cars, because Daimler had made a massive design error? :dk: :rolleyes:

Maybe is was deliberate as you know what they say ''there's no such thing as bad publicity''

Well early this morning I hit a huge pothole destroying the drivers side front tyre , had to call out the AA who subsequently got a low loader out to recover the car.

Once loaded up , the driver said “where too guv” - I suggested the only place where I knew they could get tyres same day and that was Halfrauds .

15 minutes later , the guys there had my car jacked up , and wheel inspected , luckily no damage to the rim but a big gash in the tyre .

“We only have Firestone’s in stock sir” - well I didn’t have much choice but to have 2 fitted (didn’t want to drive on mismatched tyres).

Anyway - £280 later and the crabbing is completely gone - I’ve been reversing in and out , full locking out of parking spaces and not a whiff of a judder or thump - so every cloud has a silver lining!

Excellent info. Can you post the exact make, sizes etc and I presume this was the 2 front tyres.

We need a running list of tyres known to remove this issue.

My dealer is finding out from the factory what will be fitted to the car when I order. Obviously this may change but they can tell me the current tyres, they are genuinely sympathetic to the situation and seem like they want to find out, there has been no BS from them so far.

Last night I flew into Southampton Airport and Merc is just on the perimeter so I had a look round their car park. Two C class C43's there ,one on 18's with Bridgestone Potenza's fitted (which I understand don't suffer crabbing) and a pre reg car (below) that was for sale on 19's which had the Continental SSR's (which also don't suffer as I understand). These were both new cars.

Used Mercedes-Benz C-Class | Marshall Mercedes-Benz

I know we cant assume anything but it does look like the non crabbing tyres are now being fitted by the factory, which gives me some piece of mind I think to go ahead, as does RL-C43 Coupe above with his Firestones.

Last edited:
Excellent info. Can you post the exact make, sizes etc and I presume this was the 2 front tyres.

We need a running list of tyres known to remove this issue.

My dealer has confirmed ''in writing'' that my cars Conti 5P's will be replaced with Conti SSR's (courtesy of the Bundesbank). I think demand must be high at the moment as he cannot confirm exactly when they will arrive.. no surprise there then. Not sure how many C class models are getting this offer as owners' experiences seem to fluctuate from dealer to dealer. Why didn't the R&D boys spot this in the first place it would have saved MB loads of £/€ and missed sales for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom