All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My car goes in for the same problem on Friday crabbing, and a rattle & I also have wind noise from the front doors
I will report back a the out come!

Driver200 you have the same car as me bought at the same time can you pm me who your dealer is as it might help my case when trying to get my faults rectified if I can quote that you have recently had you faults repaired under warranty at xxxxxx dealership

Thanks
Nigel

So when I became aware of this issue, I looked up all season tyre options. None existed on my 19 inchers. So I assume MB felt forced to look for a solution.

It would be useful to know what other tyre's dont have this issue cos in due course we will all need to replace them.

Would any runflat work? Another poster (apologies, I cant be bothered looking back) posted another tyre make which worked.

Tyre pressures as per the book

If these new Conti SSR's do the job etc.. will probably replace with same.

My car goes in for the same problem on Friday crabbing, and a rattle & I also have wind noise from the front doors
I will report back a the out come!

Driver200 you have the same car as me bought at the same time can you pm me who your dealer is as it might help my case when trying to get my faults rectified if I can quote that you have recently had you faults repaired under warranty at xxxxxx dealership

Thanks
Nigel
Hi, Unable to send you a PM as you are ''too new'' there is no way your dealer can avoid replacing your tyres as it's a MB directive for certain C Class models. As for the wind noise just show them the TSB featured earlier and let them do the rest and as I said before it's probably cheaper overall to replace the windows and not mess around with door seals etc... What did your dealer say when you reported the crabbing issue?

Hi, Unable to send you a PM as you are ''too new'' there is no way your dealer can avoid replacing your tyres as it's a MB directive for certain C Class models. As for the wind noise just show them the TSB featured earlier and let them do the rest and as I said before it's probably cheaper overall to replace the windows and not mess around with door seals etc... What did your dealer say when you reported the crabbing issue?
Dealer said on the phone that they have never heard of crabbing issue!

Folks,
So, after 39 pages of posts .....
Is the general consensus that hard-sidewalled tyres (e.g. runflats) would provide a 'fix' to the skipping problem ?
I am looking to change the PS4s on my E43 to either Pzeros or Eagles (runflats).
Has anyone had any luck with determining that suits the E43 the best ?

I am under the impression that " the cure" i.e. the way to minimise the symptoms involves greater not less tyre flexibility. Its not clear how this is achieved- greater tread depth, flexibility of tyre rubber mix at low temperature, or sidewall flexibility allowing the tyre to move more under sideways forces. These might be achieved by different tyres in different ways. Mercedes seemed to favour the adoption of all-weather tyres for the GLC as the only official fix for the problem which might indicate both greater open tread depth and a tyre rubber mix that remains flexible at lower temperatures is the answer. This might not be a viable option for high performance models which might explain why Mercedes have never come up with an official fix for them. So basically you are left with trial and error and anecdotal evidence for guidance. On that note it might be wise to ignore short term evidence from enthusiastic owners who have just fitted a new set of different tyres which___"transformed the handling" due to the fact that new tyres will all come with greater tread depth and the problem may well return as they wear down. Add in increased ambient temperatures at this time of year and getting reliable evidence may be difficult at this time.

Last edited:
Thanks Graeme - Interesting point you're making - I was of the same viewpoint as you, hence the question.
Given that the C43 issue is being treated by fitting Conti SSR runflats - it might be that the resolution is down to the SSR geometry of rather than the 'runflat' bit.
Unfortunately, I can't find SSRs which will fit the E43 ... unless someone else has different advice.
So my Pzero preference (at the moment) is very much down to a 'similar' geometry (i.e. wider outer pads and lots of room to deform) to the SSR.
The runflat is something which, being personally conservative, I would like - I still can't get my head round the 'missing' wheel in the boot.

Any other views from anyone else ?

My dealer has confirmed ''in writing'' that my cars Conti 5P's will be replaced with Conti SSR's (courtesy of the Bundesbank). I think demand must be high at the moment as he cannot confirm exactly when they will arrive.. no surprise there then. Not sure how many C class models are getting this offer as owners' experiences seem to fluctuate from dealer to dealer. Why didn't the R&D boys spot this in the first place it would have saved MB loads of £/€ and missed sales for sure.
Sorry to some who won't want to see this dragged up again but..
Have other GLC owners had these SSR's fitted ? our GLC has just been in and the 5P's were replaced with the same type as far as I can see, but will check the codes later.

When I collected mine, the dealer raised the topic of crabbing on tight lock/slow speed ... and advised that the ‘solution’ is to ease of the steering a fraction ... I’ve not gone looking to achieve the crabbing effect and had forgotten about it until catching this thread ...

I didn’t see a Mercedes reference number ... (apologies if Ive missed it) ... if this is a recognised fault/fix, then it would be helpful to have this when visiting the dealer if the problems arises in the coming weeks.

Thanks ...

My 2019 C43 has this issue, and it's quite disconcerting as the front wheels seem to skip across the road quite considerably, not what I want when I'm trying to reverse out of a tight space! My local MB dealer was due to collect my car yesterday to investigate, but instead just called to ask what tyres and sizes I had. I currently have Pirelli P-Zero's and mine has wider tyres on the back (probably normal not sure!). They then called back about an hour later saying they would order some Bridgestone or Continental tyres and would arrange to fit them when they arrived. Absolutely no arguments so they must know this is an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom