All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dejongj said:
Yes, been chatting to them on the private FB group. That wheel jump is much worse then mine. Just going through the motions and song and dance to allow them to (not) 'fix' mine so I can reject it. Please note Mercedes Dealer have not used the words refund, they call it a buy back ;)

Just playing devils advocate here, you give Mercedes the opportunity to 'fix' the fault before you can reject the vehicle.they fit fit winter tyres as per their 'fix' free of charge to you. Crabbing stops, where do you then stand with regards to rejecting the vehicle?

When does it do it as it seems to vary also what tyres are you running on?

Can't speak for the C43 but when I changed from Dunlop to Vreds on my RS4 it still crabbed but not as bad. It also didn't make a difference with temperature - it was just when the roads were wet. Wet road in the summer = crabbing. As I say I'm not sure the C43 will be the same.

I have the car booked in tomorrow for them to assess... likely to be told fit winter tyres!

I have just asked if I took delivery of a new C43 now would it be fitted with winter tyres from new? Answer is no (as we all know), so I asked why they would sell me a car from new that was not fit for purpose.... queue confused look and lightbulb moment!

Has anyone with this issue actually tried fitting winter tyres to their C43 and if so, what was the result? Sorry if someone has already answered this but can't remember.

I'd be interested in this - nearly hit a car this morning as it skipped across the road on a tight lane!

Are you absolutely sure it was crabbing that caused this as I would think it would be very hard to prove either way? Eg powerful car on wet road = skidding at speed....

I have had my C43 estate since September! It does this and it is annoying mainly because I think it is the transmission winding up!! Would I still buy the car - yes because it is brilliant!

Still stick by this statement?

Are you absolutely sure it was crabbing that caused this as I would think it would be very hard to prove either way? Eg powerful car on wet road = skidding at speed....

It is definitely not skidding, it actually bounces....plus the power was applied very carefully and it was low speed.

Still stick by this statement?

Yes I would, it is annoying and you have to be careful but I am not looking to reject the car! That said it is on PCP and I have no intention of buying it outright as I change my cars every 2 - 3 years anyway....

Yes I would, it is annoying and you have to be careful but I am not looking to reject the car! That said it is on PCP and I have no intention of buying it outright as I change my cars every 2 - 3 years anyway....

Do you think winter tyres would reduce this condition?

I have no idea.... :) I am sure that Mercedes will tell me it will solve it.... :)

I'm sure they will. But its interesting as there have been literally dozens of posts on this topic and I am still unclear whether winters have helped/solved this problem!! But I'm sure someone will tell me soon enough if I am wrong... In fairness some owners are experiencing such serious problems that just changing tyre type would not fully resolve. But after all is said and done until owners have thoroughly experienced both summer and winter tyre variances relating to this issue its difficult to know either way there must be someone out there with an answer as its going to be impossible to Reject a car without going down this road surely as the only defence is to say to MB it happens when the temperature is over 10c and hope for the best.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that the car is great in every other way - I just want it sorted!

We know it does not happen on LHD cars only the RHD cars are affected.... It has to be geometry..... The argument of changing to winters is a poor argument unless it affects both RHD and LHD vehicles! Which it does not.

I have had the car since September and I live in the sunny south, it has done it from day 1 but is definitely present 100% of the time in cold weather. It can not have bothered me that much when I first got the car as I never mentioned it to the dealer!

If anyone is near the Uxbridge, Middlesex area at the weekend I'm happy do demonstrate the issue on mine??

Well well well, so the E43 is affected as well according to this review.

Mercedes-AMG E43 Estate: Driven | PistonHeads

Still want that C43 ;)
In some way this is good news as it will put more pressure on MB to sort it out so I guess my answer is Yes I still want a C43.

This is the quote which also includes a Porsche which doesn't really help Mercedes owners...

''As in the C-Class though there seems to be some clunkiness in the application of the system. In the C43 we noticed some chuntering on full lock and at low speeds, such as pulling out of parking spaces. In the E43 it's arguably even more noticeable, the front wheels 'skipping' as if there's some transmission wind or a locked diff somewhere in the system. Interestingly the Porsche Panamera 4 S we've got in at the moment does the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent and Mercedes is promising to get back to us since raising the issue.''

Last edited:
As I've always said, a little bit of this is too be expected under certain circumstances - the extend to which they do this is just way too much. It is not normal.

I would seriously stay well clear of these vehicles.

As I've always said, a little bit of this is too be expected under certain circumstances - the extend to which they do this is just way too much. It is not normal.

I would seriously stay well clear of these vehicles.

Out of curiosity did you ever try using winter tyres or have you given up all hope of sorting this problem out properly with MB? To try and lighten the mood perhaps you should test drive the Porsche and see how bad that is.....

I have the car booked in tomorrow for them to assess... likely to be told fit winter tyres!

I have just asked if I took delivery of a new C43 now would it be fitted with winter tyres from new? Answer is no (as we all know), so I asked why they would sell me a car from new that was not fit for purpose.... queue confused look and lightbulb moment!

Perhaps you should ask your dealer tomorrow to prove to you that winter tyres will resolve the problem and see what their response is.

Out of curiosity did you ever try using winter tyres or have you given up all hope of sorting this problem out properly with MB? To try and lighten the mood perhaps you should test drive the Porsche and see how bad that is.....

Considering the dealer isn't willing to lend me winter tyres to prove it doesn't do it, nor have any of their demonstrator got them on. Then why shall I drop about £3K on trying out whether it resolves it or not.

I've driven plenty of porsches in my time and again they don't have to do this. Under specific circumstances all cars will do this, it is the extend that these Mercedes cars do it and the persistent nature (i.e. All the time) that is the difference.

But time permitting I'm trying to do a video of the GLC vs Macan with a tennis buddy who is a business manager at a Porsche dealer.

Considering the dealer isn't willing to lend me winter tyres to prove it doesn't do it, nor have any of their demonstrator got them on. Then why shall I drop about £3K on trying out whether it resolves it or not.

I've driven plenty of porsches in my time and again they don't have to do this. Under specific circumstances all cars will do this, it is the extend that these Mercedes cars do it and the persistent nature (i.e. All the time) that is the difference.

But time permitting I'm trying to do a video of the GLC vs Macan with a tennis buddy who is a business manager at a Porsche dealer.

I wonder when PistonHeads hear back from MB that winter tyres need to be fitted whether they would be willing to put this to some kind of test as unless someone with clout does this debate will go on forever!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom