All C43 AMG owners - What shall I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder when PistonHeads hear back from MB that winter tyres need to be fitted whether they would be willing to put this to some kind of test as unless someone with clout does this debate will go on forever!!

As you are about to give your dealer £60k, I would think you are in a pretty strong position to get them to fit winter tyres FOC or at least prove they fix the fault.

Assuming they can actually source winter tyres for a C43 :)

My C43 went in and got the all clear as expected! Got 'the letter' advising winter tyres... I have asked if they have fitted any and they have fitted one set to a GLC but have not heard back from the person who owns it to say if it sorted the problem or not!

Wait and see what happens as this gains more traction....

Minor update from my dealer today following a chat about this issue with their 'master technician'.

I took him out for a post-repair test in my CL, and whilst we were in the car, I was quizzing him as to how Listers were dealing with the 'GLC/AWD Issue'.

He was obviously well aware of the issue, but perhaps gave the regular scripted response, something like:-

"We've come across the issue on a small number of cars, and advise them to fit winter tyres"

When I probed a little more into the winter tyres option and their availability or whether they are fitting them to new deliveries at the moment, he became reluctant to engage any further in the conversation, other than acknowledging that they were often left in a difficult position between unhappy customers, and what can sensibly be achieved in a short space of time by the manufacturer.

Minor update from my dealer today following a chat about this issue with their 'master technician'.

I took him out for a post-repair test in my CL, and whilst we were in the car, I was quizzing him as to how Listers were dealing with the 'GLC/AWD Issue'.

He was obviously well aware of the issue, but perhaps gave the regular scripted response, something like:-

"We've come across the issue on a small number of cars, and advise them to fit winter tyres"

When I probed a little more into the winter tyres option and their availability or whether they are fitting them to new deliveries at the moment, he became reluctant to engage any further in the conversation, other than acknowledging that they were often left in a difficult position between unhappy customers, and what can sensibly be achieved in a short space of time by the manufacturer.

That sounds about right. I've got a screen shot from a dealer through someone else which clearly demonstrates that the dealers are banging their head against a brick wall with Mercedes UK as well. I'm actually impressed with how good they are in towing the line.

I clearly demonstrates the communication on Xentry where they just don't get approval to deal with this issue at all.

I took a another C43 test drive today. This was a saloon with 19" wheels (stupidly forgot to take a note of the tyre brand). Ambient temperature was 9.0 degrees and the car was warmed up. Just took it to an industrial estate to play with full lock manoeuvres and only the slightest hint of crabbing on a forward full lock movement. If my car was similar I would be very content.

Going to ask my dealer to test my car (which has arrived in advance of a 1 March collection) to see if there is any noticeable crabbing.

Interested to read a US GLC owner report that winter tyres sorted his issue - I would be prepared to put winters on if necessary.

Edited to add:

Salesman was clearly aware of the Honest John and similar internet discussions on the topic. He seemed genuine and noted no issues/complaints from any of his C43 customers but have had issues with GLC's. MBUK totally aware of it but salesman said no fix as yet and that MB reluctant to say too much as fix might be too costly given the number of models affected.

Last edited:
Have cancelled my GLC43 Coupe order with full deposit refund as the supplying dealer was unable to guarantee that my car would not suffer from this 'characteristic'. Such a shame as it was due for delivery on 1st March and we were really looking forward to it. Back to the drawing board with the new purchase and what hasn't helped is that it's too late to secure a build slot early enough to avoid the new tax rates so not a very happy bunny to say the least. Has proved to be extremely difficult to find an alternative in terms of size, power and price. I was contemplating the GLE43 Coupe but it's just too big for us as we sold our ML to downsize in the first place so makes no sense at all. Am in discussions with Porsche for a Macan GTS but they offer zero discount and will end up putting in a extra £10k for the same spec as the Merc! I sympathise with all the owners experiencing this issue and genuinely hope that MB pull their finger out and offer a permanent fix outside of winter tyres. If you have one on order then I would say don't bother as you will always have this worry at the back of your mind. The fact MB have happily cancelled my order and refunded my deposit in full in itself speaks volumes - fills me with absolutely no confidence at all. Good luck!

Surely if a car has been built in the winter, they fit whatever tyres are fit for use within that season? Or do they all just fit summer tyres no matter what the period?

John Jones Jr said:
I don't understand why you would. Strange.

Steering issues and MB's 'solution' aside, why would you NOT put winter tyres on. Improved grip, handling and stopping power when the roads can be at their most treacherous in terms of driving condition. Strange

Steering issues and MB's 'solution' aside, why would you NOT put winter tyres on. Improved grip, handling and stopping power when the roads can be at their most treacherous in terms of driving condition. Strange

Strange reply. But thanks for the lesson!

Snooky is willing to put winter tyres on as a band aid to mask the problem, thus my question.

John Jones Jr said:
Strange reply. But thanks for the lesson! Snooky is willing to put winter tyres on as a band aid to mask the problem, thus my question.
Sorry, misunderstood the meaning in your response. I guess it all depends on his situation in terms of finances, dealings with MB to reject car etc.

If MB don't/won't come up with a fix for the issue, dealer refuse to accept a rejected car and refund Snooky then his options would be sell the car (probably no second hand market) or keep it in which case winter tyres may make the situation bearable

Sorry, misunderstood the meaning in your response. I guess it all depends on his situation in terms of finances, dealings with MB to reject car etc.

If MB don't/won't come up with a fix for the issue, dealer refuse to accept a rejected car and refund Snooky then his options would be sell the car (probably no second hand market) or keep it in which case winter tyres may make the situation bearable

I just hope he's leasing it or has it on a PCP because making a new £50k car ''bearable'' with somebody else ultimately owning it is one thing but buying it outright, well that imo is nonsensical.

I don't understand why you would. Strange.

Strange reply. But thanks for the lesson!

Snooky is willing to put winter tyres on as a band aid to mask the problem, thus my question.

I just hope he's leasing it or has it on a PCP because making a new £50k car ''bearable'' with somebody else ultimately owning it is one thing but buying it outright, well that imo is nonsensical.

I am buying the car on PCP so am viewing the 'risk' as me handing it back at end of term with no recovery on deposit (I would normally expect to see some equity but if second hand market impacted but the issue I would hand back.

Lots of people put winter tyres on to improve grip in wintry conditions. I never have but have often considered it. It would share the tyre wear across both sets so, in theory, wouldn't cost me much more.

I'm going to get my dealer to test my car which has arrived with them to see if the crabbing is present and decide ho to proceed then.

I am buying the car on PCP so am viewing the 'risk' as me handing it back at end of term with no recovery on deposit (I would normally expect to see some equity but if second hand market impacted but the issue I would hand back.

Lots of people put winter tyres on to improve grip in wintry conditions. I never have but have often considered it. It would share the tyre wear across both sets so, in theory, wouldn't cost me much more.

I'm going to get my dealer to test my car which has arrived with them to see if the crabbing is present and decide ho to proceed then.

Had two Mercs on PCP never had any equity......high final values, that's why Merc PCP monthly payments are usually low compared to others.

RR

Snooky said:
I am buying the car on PCP so am viewing the 'risk' as me handing it back at end of term with no recovery on deposit (I would normally expect to see some equity but if second hand market impacted but the issue I would hand back. Lots of people put winter tyres on to improve grip in wintry conditions. I never have but have often considered it. It would share the tyre wear across both sets so, in theory, wouldn't cost me much more. I'm going to get my dealer to test my car which has arrived with them to see if the crabbing is present and decide ho to proceed then.

Isn't putting winter tyres on just masking the problem?

It's a bit like capping a pressure relief valve if you ask me!

How long will the wheel bearings last?

Isn't putting winter tyres on just masking the problem?

It's a bit like capping a pressure relief valve if you ask me!

How long will the wheel bearings last?
I'm afraid I'm not very technically minded so can't comment on the life expectancy of the bearings. Hopefully they will last the 2 years or so I'd have the car.

I'm not sure if winter tyres are just masking the issue though - if the softer compound allows more movement of the tyre might that not put less pressure on the mechanical parts?

As I said, I'm not technically minded so could be totally wrong with that!

Considering the dealer isn't willing to lend me winter tyres to prove it doesn't do it, nor have any of their demonstrator got them on. Then why shall I drop about £3K on trying out whether it resolves it or not"

£3k for tyres? You should get change from £1k

Last edited:
What size are the wheels on the C43? I got a set of 4 235/35/19 for just under 650 euro. Continental 850?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom