'All in 1 wash & wax' shampoos and plastic trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
In my early days I tried Turtle wax's wash and wax shampoo and although it did impart a slight gloss on the paintwork, it also added white marks to the plastic trim in one fell swoop. Bumper trim, window surround and wing mirror housing support, plastic area around the wipers and air intakes. Then had to 'black gloss' it which was more hassle than it was worth.

Was wondering if modern day all in one products do the same thing with plastic trim. e.g. Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax - Clean Your Car
Not that I have that much plastic on my W205, just the wing mirror surrounds and the area around the wipers and bottom of the windscreen

Normally wax and plastic trim don't go well together.

(obviously for times when there is no time to wax).

I use the turtle wash n wax and the QQ is 30% black trim
I have always wiped the black plastic with a trim wax though( not found one I am 100% happy with hey mind you)

On the odd occasion I don't do this I don't notice white marks from the product, but we have hard water here and that is a pain and needs wiping down even on a 70% white car

It might be your water, not the wash n wax.....?

I had a 205, though the image is not my 205, one I found on the internet and the similar sort of level of the marks on the plastic, perhaps not quite pronounced

img_6405.jpg

I might give the Megs a go

I would doubt the shampoo has that much was in it to leave behind a great deal of protection.

You would be better of getting a spray on sealant for times when you don't want to wax the car. I use CQuartz Reload which works ridiculously well on bare paint.

I had to give up with Wash and Wax on my w221 320 cdi it always went streaky it looked better dirty,so I bought some Snow Foam Shampoo and that is just great and then I polish the car,in this weather I take it to the hand car wash near me they do a good job for £6

Hand car wash pop ups

These car wash places appear to do a good job but in reality they're just damaging your paint. Their methods are terrible, usually, and will be causing hundreds of tiny scratches during washing and drying.

Smw said:
These car wash places appear to do a good job but in reality they're just damaging your paint. Their methods are terrible, usually, and will be causing hundreds of tiny scratches during washing and drying.
Damn right , also slowly corrode alloys, brakes, discs with the acid they use pre wash!

I want to keep my E350 looking like new for as long as possible. After research and reading lots of reviews I decided on Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo.
It's a bit pricey but the 1.9 litre bottle goes a very long way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom