All season tyres for a 2003 c-class avantegarde with sports pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bfgjohno

Car
Mercedes Benz c- class avantegarde with sports pack 2003
My first post and first MB!

The car has 225/45 17s at the front and 245/40 17s at the rear. The latter are worn out and we live in Cumbria. Is there an all season tyre that others have used that fits? Can I fit 225/40s all round on the standard rims? Is there a summer tyre with better grip that might do? Roam I faced with buying two sets of tyres for summer and winter?

Sorry about the plethora of questions! Any advice would be most welcome.

All the best

John

The car has 225/45 17s at the front and 245/40 17s at the rear. The latter are worn out and we live in Cumbria. Is there an all season tyre that others have used that fits? Can I fit 225/40s all round on the standard rims? Is there a summer tyre with better grip that might do? Roam I faced with buying two sets of tyres for summer and winter?

All the best

John

John

Firstly welcome!

This tyre size calculator may help you decide on the correct size ranges:Tyre Size Calculator - Legal Requirements - Etyres

You will get many opinions on what is good and what is not, look at the major brands like Michelin, Dunlop, Hankook (yes Hankook, fitted as OE to many premium cars now) Goodyear etc.

I currently have Michelin Primacy on my C320 and find them excellent in all weather conditions.

All tyres now have ratings for wear, noise, wet weather grip so use this along with the internet to find the best deal and you will not go far wrong!

Ideally, I'd buy a set of second wheels, alloy or steel and have one set with summer & the other with winter tyres. I suspect, all season/4 season tyres are not one thing or the other judging by my previous experiences.

There are some well regarded all-season tyres now - off the top of my head; Goodyear Vector 4Seasons, Kleber Quadraxer and Vredestein Quatrac Lite plus others.

The snag I found is the size range they're offered in can be very limited, made worse with the MB staggered set-up and you often can't get the same tyre in both sizes.

I've just ordered a pair of Kumho KH21's for the rear of my car - it was the only All-Season tyre available in the size I needed (225/50R16 92V).

Not an MB, but my wife's car has had full winter Michelin Alpin A4's on it (year round) for the last 2yrs and they've been absolutely fine. They even look "normal".

Thanks all for your very prompt and welcoming replies!

I see there's a typo on my original post re whether I could fit 225/40s all round - of course I meant 225/45s.

The calculator suggested states that the 225/45s are okay re diameter but will they fit okay on the rear rims? Can't see a size on the alloy - probably on the inside.

I was looking at the Goodyear vector 4seasons. Pricey but rave reviews. Will have a look at the michelins as well now.

All the best

I have some W211 E-class 16" alloy rims for sale that would be great for winter use (if they fit?) In Preston so not far away

All the best

John

Hi John and welcome,
You have the staggered wheel set-up on the Sport Pack model the same as me. Wider rims on the back, so no, you can't fit 225/40's all round, on the wheels you have.
Fronts are 7.5J's and rears are 8.5J's.
Two sets of tyres is the ideal, but it depends on how bad the conditions in Cumbria get in the winter and unfortunately rear wheel drive cars will never be as good as front wheel drive in bad conditions.

Last edited:
My car came with just two Cooper snow tyres on the rear which its previous Cumbrian owner used to swop over seasonally at cost of tyre changes plus balancing each time.

I have just sourced a pair of bare matching wheels which I'm refurbing myself then fit snow tyres on them and put on each November. I know they recommend all four but at least I will stand a better chance.

I know ordinary tyres for yours are expensive enough. May I suggest a full set of winter steel wheels with snow tyres and just swop them over each November until April or May. Try ebay or mytyres.com

I've had all season Hankook Optimo 4S fitted to the rear of the W124 for the last year or so. They were excellent in the snow. The only downside is they are a little squeeky in hot weather, especially in car parks (it sounds like you are thrashing it around corners!).

It is possible to fit 225/45 tyres to your wider rear wheels. I used to have 225/45 tyres on the rear of my C-Class with staggered wheels, without any problems. It will leave your wheels more susceptible to kerb damage though so take care when parking.

Also if you buy modern winter tyres from a premium brand, they're fine to use all year round.

More good info, thankyou.

Wheelbasealloys have suggested 235/45R17s on the rear and either the same or original size tyres on the front. Sounds like the halfway house and within tolerances plus not quite so bad for curbing.

thoughts??

John

the only thing to keep a rear wheel merc saloon or estate going in winter snow are chains or studded tyres

I've just fitted Hankook Ventus V12 to my 203 and I have to say I'm very impressed with their wet performance. I've never bothered with all season or winter tyres myself as I can jump into the old pajero if it snows.

All the best

John
We faced the same issue with the SLK which is useless in snow with summer tyres. There is nothing in 245/40/17 in all season tyres and usually only Dunlop or Kumho in the full winter spec. The Dunlops cost mega bucks. We went with the Kumhos and over the last 2 winters they have been excellent. Transformed the car in snow such that it will accelerate up hills that it would not even have attempted on summer tyres.

I've just fitted Hankook Ventus V12 to my 203 and I have to say I'm very impressed with their wet performance. I've never bothered with all season or winter tyres myself as I can jump into the old pajero if it snows.

exactly!!

Last time when we had snow a couple of years ago it was highly amusing to drive my 2WD Audi 80 with winter tyre past all of the 4x4 drivers with summer tyres on.

The ultimate is 4x4 with winter tyres, but a 2wd car will be better than a 4wd with summer tyres in the snow.

Cornering and braking is the same as a 4x4 on a 2wd car. The 4wd is only about getting going.

Stands back and awaits abuse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom