All season tyres rear and summer tyres front

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
I know the winter tyre on one axle debate has begun and the consensus seems to be, no, that's silly.

But is the same reasoning applicable to all season tyres and summer tyres? I can't afford a set of winters and summers, and as my rears are past their best I was thinking of doing all season on the rears for now, then replace the fronts next winter by which time they will be ready to be replaced.

cheers

Noooooo! Don't do it. It will transform your car from a helpless inert wheelspinning lump blocking the highway into an understeering unstoppable uncontrollable death trap.:rolleyes: Or you could just drive it sensibly according to prevailing road conditions of course. :p

As always there is a wide variation in tyre properties and treads even in the Winter/AllSeason Tyre category. You could argue some of the more conservatively treaded winter tyres might qualify as "all year " for example. What seems to be growing in popularity is the the dual tread tyre where half of the tread has a summer type pattern with circumferential grooves and half the offset block pattern as exemplified by the popular NOKIAN WRG2
nokian_wrg2.jpg

I've just put All Season tyres, Kumho Solus Vier KH21, on the rear of my car. It was only tyre I could find with the same as original load index and speed rating in the size I need (225/50R16 92V).

No one does both front (205/55R16) and rear sizes without going to Extra Load (XL) and/or lower speed rating - so I'd have had to have different tyres front/rear anyway.

I've got Michelin Primacy HP summer's on the front with about 6mm of tread.

I did a 500 mile round trip during the week and the car felt secure at speed including on fast motorway interchanges. I was concerned the Kumho's would be noisy but they're no different to the Michelin's they replaced (and they were 2/3 the cost, but I expect they'll wear quicker).

What I'm hoping for in slippy weather is that the car will get moving easier and stopping will be somewhat better. It obviously won't be as good as All Season or Winter tyres all round, but it'll be better than the vast majority of other cars with summer tyres all round.

I have Michelin Energy Savers and they are crap in the wet and greasy conditions so god knows what they will be like in snow and ice...

I had all seasons on the back with summers on the front for a year with no issues. Just be sensible during the winter and remember the steering may not be great.

C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom