Alloy finishing ruined on my C63 from Main Dealer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bmw2Merc

Car
C63 AMG
Bought my C63 saloon on a 59 plate from Brighton AMG centre back in end of April

It came with the 19inch multispoke alloys. I believe these are meant to have a machined polish finish? Upon doing some research amd after
Slightly nipping the kerb I have realised that my alloys have been SPRAYED OVER in a silver finish. Underneath this coating you can see the machine polish finish coming through.

I thought when you buy an approved used MB From a main dealer that its meant to have OEM Alloy finish on the alloys and not some half bodge job by spraying over the machine polish finish to say they have been 'refurbed' and cut corners and not have them in the original state?

I have made a complaint to MB uk and the dealer has come back to me saying that 'this is what we do here to warrant the car as we give it 12 month warranty'

I am rightt in kicking up a fuss as the i've seen other MB's C63's used from dealers having machine polished wheels refurbed and in original state?

The 19" alloys on C63s are diamond cut across the whole face, with a gun metal grey coating in between the spokes, or they are coated black with just a small lip diamond cut on the rim.

Buying your car from a MB main dealer, I would have expected the wheels to be restored to an "as standard" condition prior to offering the car for sale.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with the explanation you have been offered for the poor restoration of the wheels but you may have entered into a "sold as seen" type contract when you bought the car, if that is the case then it'll be up to you to have the wheels made good.

The 19" alloys on C63s are diamond cut across the whole face, with a gun metal grey coating in between the spokes, or they are coated black with just a small lip diamond cut on the rim.

Buying your car from a MB main dealer, I would have expected the wheels to be restored to an "as standard" condition prior to offering the car for sale.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with the explanation you have been offered for the poor restoration of the wheels but you may have entered into a "sold as seen" type contract when you bought the car, if that is the case then it'll be up to you to have the wheels made good.

If the car was 'sold as seen' then surely they wouldnt give a warranty with the car....

This is exactly what the gen. Manager replied with... I dont think its on:

'
Thank you for sending over the pictures of your alloy wheels. When supplying a Mercedes-Benz Approved Used Car we have the option of completely refurbishing the wheel to one colour on site in our paint shop, or sending the wheels away for 10 days to have the wheels ‘diamond cut’. Our decision here at Mercedes-Benz of Brighton is to do this on site so that we can always keep an eye on the quality of the repair, and give a 12 month warranty on the wheels for paint defects.

With this in mind I’m afraid that there is nothing that we could do with regard to changing this without a cost to yourself. Certainly if you are unhappy with the quality of the paintwork I am happy for my Paint Shop to re-look at them for you, we would just need the car here at Mercedes-Benz Of Brighton for them to do this. '

Nope seen it loads of times they dont refurbish back to OEM, they make them acceptable which usually means a mobile refurber to do the job. If it is an MB approved car its in the small print where it says certain items may not be to original specification, or words to that effect

Bought my C63 saloon on a 59 plate from Brighton AMG centre back in end of April

It came with the 19inch multispoke alloys. I believe these are meant to have a machined polish finish? Upon doing some research amd after
Slightly nipping the kerb I have realised that my alloys have been SPRAYED OVER in a silver finish. Underneath this coating you can see the machine polish finish coming through.

I thought when you buy an approved used MB From a main dealer that its meant to have OEM Alloy finish on the alloys and not some half bodge job by spraying over the machine polish finish to say they have been 'refurbed' and cut corners and not have them in the original state?

I have made a complaint to MB uk and the dealer has come back to me saying that 'this is what we do here to warrant the car as we give it 12 month warranty'

I am rightt in kicking up a fuss as the i've seen other MB's C63's used from dealers having machine polished wheels refurbed and in original state?

No - your bought second had car / not brand new ...

Also worth bearing in mind that a painted finish will be a lot more durable than a diamond cut one as the lacquer will adhere better to paint.

Unless you have some sort of wheel damage insurance, I would be quietly thanking my lucky stars………….get a quote (in money and time they need the wheel) to repair a diamond cut wheel with minor kerb damage and compare that to the same for a painted wheel……………..a painted wheel much easier to repair and touch in or re-paint completely.

Granted, the dealer no doubt chose to maximise profits when having the wheels done in house rather than sending them away prior to selling to you but, as long as they didn't sell the car to you as having wheels with diamond cut finish, no harm no foul.

Last edited:
Unless you have some sort of wheel damage insurance, I would be quietly thanking my lucky stars………….get a quote (in money and time they need the wheel) to repair a diamond cut wheel with minor kerb damage and compare that to the same for a painted wheel……………..a painted wheel much easier to repair and touch in or re-paint completely.

Granted, the dealer no doubt chose to maximise profits when having the wheels done in house rather than sending them away prior to selling to you but, as long as they didn't sell the car to you as having wheels with diamond cut finish, no harm no foul.

Granted, it is more expensive to repair a diamond cut wheel BUT A normal painted wheel looks sh1t in comparison to a diamond cut one with grey inserts!
... In my opinion anyway.

Just got of the phone to MB Uk and they said I should have pointed this out before I bought the car... Bugger :-(

Had the same on a Porsche 911 I had.

Cheaper to refinish when the "missus" scraps them again.

If you want OEM buying new is the safest bet.

They've done you a favour getting rid of the diamond cut finish, they simply never look good for long enough with starting to bubble or lift.

They've done you a favour getting rid of the diamond cut finish, they simply never look good for long enough with starting to bubble or lift.

I do like the diamond cut finish though... With the anthracite inserts. They go with the front grill and other styling on the car

If you had never clipped the kerb you would be none the wiser....But it if is original you want get them done yourself or did you just want them done if someone else was paying?

Tony.

No doubt diamond cut finish looks the best and if the wheels are treated from new with a proper sealant and looked after they can last a long time.

However as mentioned getting them recut if damaged is more expensive and can not be done over and over like a paint or powder coat finish.

I think your expecting a little too much to expect MB to hook you up with restored wheels considering it was 2nd hand and its after the sale.

Im sorry to say its hand in the pocket time or accept the benefits that a standard paint finish can bring.

I do like the diamond cut finish though... With the anthracite inserts. They go with the front grill and other styling on the car

You can't have liked it that much for you to have not noticed it when looking at the car - before, during or after purchase for 2 1/2 months...? :doh:

Seriously though - it's a second hand 4/5 year old car - you can expect it to be perfect in every way, certainly when it comes to cosmetics. As already said the D/C finish albeit attractive is particularly weak and vulnerable. So even if they'd not been kerbed already they would need refurbishing due to corrosion by now.

If you bought it brand new you quite rightly should expect it to be original and as perfect as any other reasonable person would. That's why used cars are cheaper - they're not going to be 'perfect' unfortunately.

I was given the choice of having my wheels recut or powder coated by sheffield MB, when I viewed the car all 4 wheels had patches where the finish was peeling away and dull, no kerb marks where seen. I chose powdered as it will last longer than the oem finish

A Delear can not legally sell 'sold as seen' to consumer.

'sold as seen' can only apply to trade sales, or between private seller and private buyer.

Said that, I don't see why an approved used car can not have painted alloys instead of OE diamond cut. As others said, the car is second hand, and the dealer did not hide the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom