Alloy wheel protection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Our recently purchased car came with alloys in perfect condition - so perfect that they must have been refurbished.
I've been trying to keep them clean but over the last few weeks have noticed that the brake dust is starting to bond to the alloy inside the rim where it is difficult to get to without removing the wheels.

Can anyone recommend products for cleaning the wheels and then perhaps coating them so the brake dust doesn't stick.

Power Maxed do a regular wheel cleaner and a stronger version if really bad. Both are excellent products.

Once fully cleaned (I'd decontaminate with a tar remover, fallout remover and a hand polish) a wipe down with an IPA mix then some Gtechniq C5.

Once clean a couple of coats of Collinite 915 will have the brake dust easy to remove. I simply wipe down each wash with Greased Lightening showroom shine keeps mine clean.

Power Maxed do a regular wheel cleaner and a stronger version if really bad. Both are excellent products.

Once fully cleaned (I'd decontaminate with a tar remover, fallout remover and a hand polish) a wipe down with an IPA mix then some Gtechniq C5.

IPA mix?

Piff said:

http://car-chem.com/store/ipa-isopropyl-alcohol-5

For a coating you want the paint squeaky clean so any polishing oils need to be fully removed before applying the likes of C5.

It's handy as a glass cleaner etc around the house so maybe not worth buying 5 litres but equally you'd get through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom