Almost taken out by truck on M6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmcgsmurf

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, (and some Imps)
Remembered I had this on my dash cam from last week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Remembered I had this on my dash cam from last week.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Bloody hell this exact same thing happened to me. Thank god there was no one in the third lane mate

Bloody hell this exact same thing happened to me. Thank god there was no one in the third lane mate

Luckily I was 100% alert and aware there wasn't anyone overtaking me or it would have been hard on the anchors and potentially a front wing collision that may have spun me round. :eek:

Luckily I was 100% alert and aware there wasn't anyone overtaking me or it would have been hard on the anchors and potentially a front wing collision that may have spun me round. :eek:

I'm guessing you were on cruise control speed constant 69-70?

I can only assume that the lorry driver had seen that there was no one in lane 3
so made the decision for you that it was safe.

No excuse though of course.

They do this a lot.

It almost seems like they pull out regardless and don't bother to look assuming whatever is there will move.

The one thing lorry drivers hate most is losing momentum... especially when going uphill. It can take ages to regain lost speed. If the the driver of the lorry seen in the clip was closing-in on the lorry in front of him... then there's no way he would brake. And yes he probably figured you'll get the hint and move over to the third lane.

If they see a gap, they don't care who has to move or slow down.

It's been debated before about truck drivers timescales so every second counts keeping up their speed, still no excuse though

They also know they probably won't even feel the impact

It's a toss up between HGV drivers and Taxi drivers as to who is the most inconsiderate!

In fact it's not so bad these days... lorry driver have it easy. In the olden days lorries had manual gearboxes with a combination of high/low ratios, and a sudden brake on a fully-loaded artic while driving up a slope could mean spending the next 15 minutes shifting up 12 gears using a clutch pedal and gear stick made for Arnie Schwarzenegger.

Also... I can't see the license plate, but was the lorry RHD or LHD? The one in front of it says 'Poland' on the back....

Also... I can't see the license plate, but was the lorry RHD or LHD? The one in front of it says 'Poland' on the back....

I think it may have been LHD drive but I'm not 100% sure.
In many respects he should have taken even more care before moving out if this was the case.

With hindsight I should have slowed down, let him pass then I'd have got his number but I was on the way to pick up an E55. ;)

he saw you and he still went for it, not all of them are bad but most of them are.

Personally, I usually try to let lorries - and taxis, and vans - move out to pass in that sort of situation, so I'd have been half-expecting the manoeuvre, particularly if the lorry was LHD and there might be a visibility problem for the driver. The only time I don't is when trundling along in queueing slow-moving traffic; I'm not happy when I can't see past the vehicle in front, and if I leave a decent gap some idiot will always fill it. I'm conscious of the fact that professional drivers are driving for a living and to deadlines, and I'm not.

If the driver was a married woman with children, would you mutter "mothertrucker" under your breath?

When I overtake lorries on the Motorway, I do it quickly (to minimise exposure time), while keeping an eye on the front of the lorry for any signs of looming trouble, and on the traffic behind me and to my right, with the Adrenalin running.

Been there, done that....

I've noticed on French autoroute that the lorries do wander over towards the line when overtaken.

Stay in what's called 'German car lane' No exposure to lorries ever... :D

Go on a trucking forum and you'll find video's of inconsiderate car drivers, cutting them up at exits, brake checking them ,pushing in at junctions and lots of other things.
I bet most of the car drivers that criticize lorry drivers have never driven one .
Remember when this truck driver that cut you up gets out of his truck he becomes a bad car driver . The standard of driving he terrible in this country no matter what vehicle been driven !

Remember when this truck driver that cut you up gets out of his truck he becomes a bad car driver . The standard of driving he terrible in this country no matter what vehicle been driven !

I bet he drives an Audi too.

Everybody know all Audi drivers are bad drivers. It's true too because Jeremy Clarkson might have said it once, and it says so on the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom