Alternator/regulator fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beefy84

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
Hi all. Last week when driving I had a red battery light appear on the dash with the message see owners manual. I initially pulled over and switched car off and on again which cleared the problem. However when I next got in it to drive and started it up again I got the same message but on restart this time it didn't clear. Managed to get the car home and looked in the manual. It said to check the belt and if it was torn not to drive, otherwise get the car to Merc. Belt wasn't torn so I called Merc Assist for info. They were excellent. Told them the story and they said they would get someone out to me. Within an hour help arrived. He plugged in the diagnostic reader and no error codes showed. He then checked the battery and alternator and it showed an alternator fault. Car was recovered there and then to secure storage (Sun evening) and was taken to Merc Watford the next day. The same day a C220 replacement was delivered to my door. On further investigation at the dealership it turned out to be the regulator that was faulty. This was replaced under warranty along with the battery.

Don't know if this is a common problem or not on the C63 with high electrical loads on ancillaries or not? The service received was excellent from Merc Assist and Merc Watford, couldn't be faulted. Just a shame it happened to a 6 month old car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom