AMG - 28 hours 50 minutes to cross the USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ha ha.

he used the CB radio to pose as a trucker.

"If two trucks were next to one another, we'd call to one of them," he explained. "'FedEx, this is King Trucking. I'm right next to you. Can you tap your brakes so I can get by?' When we sped past, they probably saw the huge antenna on my trunk and got really mad.

The averaged 98mph across the full road trip.

Lol.

Should've used a 350Cdi with twin tanks, could have done it without a fuel stop.

Absolutely incredible

If done in a Cdi the cops could have tracked him following the trail of soot.....

It says in the article that the *average* speed was 90 odd mph !

Which is surprisingly slow.

My average to the Danish Border was 60mph, including a ferry crossing and rush hour on a Friday. Hamburg was terrible.

Which is surprisingly slow.

My average to the Danish Border was 60mph, including a ferry crossing and rush hour on a Friday. Hamburg was terrible.
The GPS screen shot shows 100mph moving average, and 98mph overall average, which I didn't think was too shabby?

ku-xlarge.png

in early June myself and another 4 fellow 911 drivers did Calai to Stutgart at an average speed including stops for fuel and lunch of 87mph. with moving average above 100mph. the last section in Germany we averaged over 125mph. but it was a Saturday with no traffic no HGV and perfect weather conditions. ..I assume if we did not have to stop for fuel every 170-180miles the average speed was going to be even better.
the big mulible tanks that the CL had in te discussed run are the ones that made tge big difference. its worth remembering that every 10min you loose in 1h not moving translates into 16% less average speed within the same time frame window. The result is very impressive especially when you consider the speed limits in the US

I didn't realise they had been considering them.

they did consider them but decided to ignore them and mitigate the risk by having spotters and by using technology. ..when we drove in Germany we only consetraded with our driving ..

they did consider them but decided to ignore them and mitigate the risk by having spotters and by using technology. ..

So the low limits weren't a consideration for the timed rung then. ;)

So the low limits weren't a consideration for the timed rung then. ;)

sort off.. As I said they did consider them from what you see in their planning with the aim not to be caught as that was going to blow away the challenge. .

Given the CL is sometimes considered a little more fragile than other MBs due it's high tech kit, blasting across a continent non stop at those speeds fully loaded in an old one with decent miles under its belt already shows how good these cars can be I guess.

It will have been far from a 98mph cruise either - lots of slowing and speeding up rapidly etc for other traffic. Quite an achievement for car and drivers (albeit perhaps without much consideration for the safety of the general public).

Wow, 98 average is absolutely massive. Must have been going flat out for many an hour to keep that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom