AMG Alloy wheel cracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbingham

Car
E350 AMG
Hi all. I'm new to this forum stuff but I have recently had problem of AMG rear wheels cracking at the rim (inside to outside) car has only 32000 miles. Mercedes Stratstone in Bradford service manager says its "wear and tear." There is no other damage to wheel or tyres. They want to charge me £1300 to replace the two wheels. I see on the forum there are a few other people with same problem and a class action law suit in USA on the same issue. Has anybody from UK tried to join the law suit? GBingham

my car is rather older than yours but every one of my 19 inch amgs has cracked and been welded. I also have a second identical set and two of them have hair line cracks which will need to be welded too (new replacements are largely unavailable and around £800 each....and they will crack too! Usually discover either at MOT or if there is a very very slow air loss. Never had any problem like this on any other car Ive just lerned to live with it although I refuse more than two welds in any wheel....hence the second set.It must be a soft or brittle alloy but at those prices its a pretty poor show

my car is rather older than yours but every one of my 19 inch amgs has cracked and been welded. I also have a second identical set and two of them have hair line cracks which will need to be welded too (new replacements are largely unavailable and around £800 each....and they will crack too! Usually discover either at MOT or if there is a very very slow air loss. Never had any problem like this on any other car Ive just lerned to live with it although I refuse more than two welds in any wheel....hence the second set.It must be a soft or brittle alloy but at those prices its a pretty poor show
Thanks for the reply. After doing a bit more digging it seems the law uit is only applicable to US cars as the suit is against Mercedes USA.

It's pretty disgusting the wheels fall off a new AMG and the DH who runs the joint seems to think it's fine to blow the customer off.

You Brits seriously need to think of doing something similar to the Americans.

It might be fine in Turkey to have wheels crack and fall off performance cars; and have cars steer themselves all over the road but here in the first world it isn't on Dr. Z!

No recall for this, you'd find me talking to Lawyer about Attempted Murder.

Perhaps show them this - 9:15 onwards.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have welded over a hundred wheels in my time with a previous employer, as long as it is done properly, they can be welded as many times as needed, I once welded an M5 wheel with twelve cracks on it, but any flat spots must be removed.

I seem to remember being told that more than three weds in one wheel would get anmot failure if they noticed. Anyone else heard / experienced this?

I have welded over a hundred wheels in my time with a previous employer, as long as it is done properly, they can be welded as many times as needed, I once welded an M5 wheel with twelve cracks on it, but any flat spots must be removed.

What wire did you use, do you remember...? 5356

Yes 5356 is best on cast alloys, always drill a 3mm hole at the end of the crack, so it cannot travel any further, then cut through the crack with a non contaminating cutter, not a cutting disc, make sure the cut is spotlessly clean.

Hi all. I'm new to this forum stuff but I have recently had problem of AMG rear wheels cracking at the rim (inside to outside) car has only 32000 miles. Mercedes Stratstone in Bradford service manager says its "wear and tear." There is no other damage to wheel or tyres. They want to charge me £1300 to replace the two wheels. I see on the forum there are a few other people with same problem and a class action law suit in USA on the same issue. Has anybody from UK tried to join the law suit? GBingham

I’ve just cracked all four of mine on expansion joints on the French motorway all the cars that with us Porsches Jaguars were Absolutely fine. Tyres were completely undamaged wheels written off Mercedes say this is not a warranty claim but the wheels are not fit for purpose if they can’t be used even on the motorway. £5800 to replace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom