AMG CL55 Kompressor - tipronic standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiggers

Car
Volvo :-(
Hi there,

Newbie here.

Can you knowledgeable people tell me if all AMG CL 55 Kompressors (2003 on) came with the tiptronic gearbox or not? By that I mean the option to change gear manually via the gear selector and/or the steering wheel.

The reason I ask is I have seen one with no buttons on the sterring wheel but thought they all had a 'manual' change option rather than just being full auto so was wondering if some didnt have the buttons on the steering wheel, but just had the manual option on the selector or whether some were indeed full auto only i.e. no 'manual' option.

Thanks in advance.

Have searched the web for the answer to this but can't find it. All I keep seeing is that as standard the automatic box has a 'manual' mode, but yet the car I am looking at doesn't have the buttons on the wheel..... so is it just missing the buttons on the wheel or is everything I have read wrong and it doens't have a 'manual' mode at all?

Anyone?

I researched this as a retrofit for my 600 and the buttons were only available for AMG. AFAIK, they can be retrofitted. Might as well go for paddle shifters instead of buttons. Have a look here and here. Manual mode can be 'activated'. Speedriven do this as a part of ECU/TCU remap.

I researched this as a retrofit for my 600 and the buttons were only available for AMG. AFAIK, they can be retrofitted. Might as well go for paddle shifters instead of buttons. Have a look here and here. Manual mode can be 'activated'. Speedriven do this as a part of ECU/TCU remap.

Thanks for that, potentially very useful. Cheers :thumb:

However I am still not clear whether the gearbox has the 'manual mode' at all. The dealer has just replied to say it doesn't have the tiptronic buttons which I can see but seems to misunderstand my question about the 'manual' mode on the gearbox. I just wondered if anyone here with more knowledge than me on these cars knew whether all the CL 55 Kompressors had the 'manual' mode and if you didnt have the buttons it could still be operated from the gearshift.

Apologies if I am not making myself clear here.

Yes all 55 Kompressor's have Tiptronic and buttons on the steering wheel unless like
me you have changed the steering wheel.
I never liked the steering wheel on the 55 so I changed it to a wood & leather one.

Yes all 55 Kompressor's have Tiptronic and buttons on the steering wheel unless like
me you have changed the steering wheel.
I never liked the steering wheel on the 55 so I changed it to a wood & leather one.

Bingo, thanks so much for that..... this car has a wood and leather wheel so there is my answer.

Does that mean the wiring and switches are still there as would like to do the paddles conversion as posted by Alx.

Since as Peter said all CL55k came with the buttons, your car will have the manual mode. Just add the paddles or original steering wheel and you should be good to go.

I only mentioned the 600 as they didn't have the button option and manual mode was 'hidden'. When I sent my ECU and TCU for a remap, the manual mode was activated on the gearbox. Alas it can only be operated via stick, not the paddles unless I retrofit them.

I think all AMGs with the V8K engine (in E, CLS, S and CL) had buttons/paddles on the s/wheel for manual gear changing.

Yes the wires should be still there, mine are.

Since as Peter said all CL55k came with the buttons, your car will have the manual mode. Just add the paddles or original steering wheel and you should be good to go.

I only mentioned the 600 as they didn't have the button option and manual mode was 'hidden'. When I sent my ECU and TCU for a remap, the manual mode was activated on the gearbox. Alas it can only be operated via stick, not the paddles unless I retrofit them.

Cheers, yes I get what you mean. I suppose I am just hoping that all the wiring is tucked into the new wheel so all I have to do is get a set of paddles, *******ise the switches as per the links in your post earlier and then mount the paddles with the requisite wheel modifications. I am used to modifyng Subarus, but this is a whole new ball game. Still if nothing else I am confident it can be done and if all that works out I will be a happy man :thumb: Thanks for your help, appreciated

I think all AMGs with the V8K engine (in E, CLS, S and CL) had buttons/paddles on the s/wheel for manual gear changing.

Yes you're right and that is what I kept reading, but confusingly the wheel on this car does not have them.... all was solved when C43AMG mentioned changing his wheel for a wood and leather one. :thumb:

so all I have to do is get a set of paddles, *******ise the switches as per the links in your post earlier and then mount the paddles with the requisite wheel modifications.

My plan was to swap the switches for paddles. It is not a straight swap (the wiring however is plug and play) but the s/wheel has to be cut/enlarged to fit the paddle module. As a result, I decide to stick with the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom