AMG GT. Not so much an event....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvgreg

Car
CLK63 AMG, CLK55, Audi Q7-4.2, A6-4.2, Ducati Monster 1200S, Aprillia RSV1000R, A210 LWB
as an opportunity to look around the car. I say 'event' as this was a PistonHeads calendar event that around 100 people signed up to. My teenage son who came along for the ride expected a fanfare or show and to be honest I thought MB might have made a bit more of the opportunity to 'launch' such a model.

Don't get me wrong it was good to give the car a run mid week and have the chance to look around, sit and generally poke about the AMG GT for as long as I wanted. No doubt these cars will be in dealers showrooms at some stage soon, but it was worth getting in ahead of the game to decide if I really want to blow my saving and my expendable income for the next five years on Mercedes latest top of the line model.

I like the car, I could not describe it as beautiful but I think it could grow on me. I was however left rather feeling like I had seen this car somewhere before with hints of Aston Martin at the rear and Porsche in the roof line. The model on show, a GTs (yes small 's' on the rear badge?), was not a colour I would choose to own and I can't help but think that some more subtle colours might show off the lines of the car a bit better. The engine bay was long and the V8 engine can hardly be seen underneath what I assume is the Airbox. The only piece of the block I could detect was at the bulkhead end of the engine bay and looked a little bit untidy, not as 'clean' as organised as normal.

It could be this is a pre production car, they didn't start the car and a couple of guys pointed out the body panel fit between the bonnett and front wing (you can just see an uneven gap in one of the pictures).

Reading this back it sounds like I have a down on the car and that is far from the case, I think these will be as rare a car as the SLS is with owners holding on to them and few seen on the road. I will be looking for early road tests to see how the car performs and handles. MB make alot about the cars light weight and I have a feeling it might surprise on the road in more than a few ways (economy?).

Am I thinking about buying one, well for the first time since owning my car I had a look at second hand prices for my model and then decided I had other cars I would rather sell to help fund a purchase..but at that kinda price I really need to fall in love with the car and at this stage it's not quite got me excited enough... yet.

I hope the pictures have uploaded, if not I will give it another go later.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for th e write-up Greg, I am in a similar spot I would if usually changed by now but haven't due to I am happy with where I have taken the SL too and I am not sure what would be able to replace it. I am considering the GT.

Good to read your thoughts on the car, Greg.
Have to say, I'm not bowled over by it either.
And a hatch back?.... On the latest AMG offering?... :fail

Agreed I will be honest it didn't light be on fire either.

Whereas the SLS still gives me the shimmy!

The odd thing is I hoped to really want this car more than I do right now. Maybe in another colour...

Having said that ^^ I'll have to see it properly and test drive it before I can make a proper judgement.

Might even be a future replacement to the Ferrari.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom