AMG Style Side Skirt Inserts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
I have discovered a problem with both sides AMG Style Side Skirt Inserts in the area of the Front Jacking Pad Points, there appears to be either Flaking Paint, a Hairline Crack or a Crack in the Paint running for approx six inches! :wallbash:

The cause MAY be down to incorrect or careless use of a Trolley Jack used to remove both Front Wheels as part of my recent Detailing, but this has still to be substantiated! :eek: :mad: :dk:

Does anyone know if the Insert can be removed? and if so how can it be done?

I'm sure I've read that they do remove, but would it be cheaper and easier to wrap them.
That's what I'm planning do with mine just waiting for the wrap to be delivered.
Just did the belt line going do the inserts and mirrors next

What are side skirt inserts?
Probably these, just a bit clearer being black on white
auto-show-photos.asp

Last edited:
I'm sure I've read that they do remove, but would it be cheaper and easier to wrap them.
That's what I'm planning do with mine just waiting for the wrap to be delivered.
Just did the belt line going do the inserts and mirrors next

Ben,

My reason for asking if they are easily removable is the fact that if I can come to some agreement with the Detailer that I wasn't responsible for the damage to the Inserts, there are a couple of ways to restore the finish:

Remove and Wrap or Remove and Re-paint, both can be done without me losing the use of the car, (though it may look Fuggly without the Inserts) :)

Hi,
Many of these type of inserts are held on with strong double sided automotive tape.
You could always try heating one side with a hairdryer and then gently trying to pry it off at one end to reaveal a gap.
You would soon see if it is then held on with tape.
Cheers
Steve

I had a chance to have a closer look at the Sills last night along with the Boss of the Company that did my Detailing, as far as I can see the Inserts are not removable on the C Class, though I'm almost certain they were on my A Class as some Owners have had them Wrapped!

Any A Class Owners care to comment? :thumb:

I'm not sure if the Paint is Cracked or the Sill is Cracked :dk:

The Detail Man has had dealings with the Manager of the Servicing Department of my MB Dealership and is contacting them on my behalf.

I'm just hoping it's not another "Red Paint Saga" seen on this Forum already" :eek:

In the meantime I would suggest that other Owners either with AMG Styling Skirts or not, check the Sill Area from the Front Jack Point to about a Foot to the Rear!

Hopefully all will be well:D

Pictures to follow as soon as I figure out how to Upload them! :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom