Annoying driver habits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then it's wrong by design. Those puny drum brakes inside the disc hub are always going to be up against it compared to older cars with full sized drum brakes.

Well, no they don't, and never did - the vast majority of cars across the pond are SUVs or large tracks, and this never bothered me.
If the retina is truly affected by staring at a bright light, the afterglow dot would be of the opposing colour of the spectrum - green in this case :p

I’ve never understood the “blinded by brake lights” moan. Perhaps I’m just lucky in having eyes that I can move to avoid any glare whilst stopped behind them.

Lucky both of you. That you don't understand the problem is a deficit in your understanding, not evidence that there is no problem.

I, too, find brake lights uncomfortably bright if I'm sat in a queue of stationary traffic and everybody's brake lights are on. The universal third brake light at eye level is undoubtedly overall a useful extra safety feature, but it has made things worse in this particular situation.

Queue jumpers

There's a remarkable amount of angst on this thread, I'd be prepared to bet that 99% of such indiscretions would not be challenged if face to face without a car as a safety net.

I can honestly say that whether it be on foot or in the car any confrontation due to someone else’s.l selfishness or idiocy would be highlighted to them.

That said I’m personally more relaxed than I was in my early 20s and you do have to pick your battles.

That said I strongly suspect that 99% of said selfish morons on the road who will will kick off when they do something wrong then scamper off in a hurry wouldn’t be so bold without their car around them.

Lucky both of you. That you don't understand the problem is a deficit in your understanding, not evidence that there is no problem.

I, too, find brake lights uncomfortably bright if I'm sat in a queue of stationary traffic and everybody's brake lights are on. The universal third brake light at eye level is undoubtedly overall a useful extra safety feature, but it has made things worse in this particular situation.
I’m not saying that there’s not a problem, just that it’s something that’s very easily avoided. When stopped behind a stationary vehicle with its brake lights on at night I simply focus on something else (such as the traffic lights) so the glare is not an issue. My peripheral vision remains so I’m instantly aware when the brake lights go off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not saying that there’s not a problem, just that it’s something that’s very easily avoided. When stopped behind a stationary vehicle with its brake lights on at night I simply focus on something else (such as the traffic lights) so the glare is not an issue. My peripheral vision remains so I’m instantly aware when the brake lights go off.

Like I've stated on this thread. You've hit the nail on the head with 'peripheral vision'.

Obviously, the sunshine is a very extreme example but whilst driving in the direction of the sun, do you put your visor down or leave it up? I suspect the former even though you're not looking directly at it you're still effected by the light in your peripheral vision.

Then it's wrong by design. Those puny drum brakes inside the disc hub are always going to be up against it compared to older cars with full sized drum brakes.

The difference probably isn't as great as you think.

Full size drum brakes on cars that took 13" wheels are probably not much (if at all) bigger than the drums on a car that can tale 20" wheels or bigger.

First time I’ve bothered taking footage off Dashcam, people like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

First time I’ve bothered taking footage off Dashcam, people like this:

You gotta love these knob jockies.

I can never work out if they are lazy, bloody-minded, light on intelligence or Stevie Wonder... or a combination.

The cyclists who ride at night in dark clothing with no lights (some possess little reflectors in their pedals) but get the right hump when you get too close ('cause you may not have seen 'em) and/or when you get the chance to explain to the imbeciles that they're risking being killed.

You are driving along a Motorway or Dual Carriageway on 'cruise control' For arguments sake, lets say it is set to 65mph. In the distance you see the only other car that is ahead of you and you are winding it in rapidly. Within a minute you have 'caught' this car and 'properly' indicated and moved into the RH lane to pass it. Then it starts to speed up, eventually matching your speed and finally going faster than you are. So, you indicate left and pull back into the, now 'empty LH lane'. At this point the car in front, slows and you, once again start to overhaul it, indicating and moving into the RH lane. Once again as you draw level, it starts to accelerate to match you speed. This time, you also accelerate, ensuring that you are able to pass and pull away from them. Once past, you signal left and settle back into your journey, only for the same car to now overtake you, and the whole dance starts again.

Are there people who believe that they simply must be 'in front' at all times? They must be aware that they are doing this crazy dance, even prepared to drive at speeds far in excess of where they started and were comfortable.

Last edited:
I'm with you there, it's very irritating. I'm sure it's an ego/self-esteem thing 'especially' if your in what they perceive as a tasty car.. Human nature can be most odd.

On the other hand if your in a considered "tasty" car & you want to just poodle along their all over your rear bumper, some like to swerve in & out ...Usually dervs & just want to see you take off so they can try & keep up so they can claim my remapped Audi 1.9 Td Black carpet layer keeps up with a E55 AMG... I just slow up even more...I must be on someone's list here lol

This summer I drove Dundee-Liverpool-Southampton-weymouth-Gretna and back to Dundee.

Merc CL500, cruise set to 75. Always pull into left lane when possible, thing that got on my nerves is idiots with their car in top gear and their brain in neutral who have poor driving skills and box me in to a lorry in left hand lane when it would have been safe for them to pull into outside lane. They are probably doing about five mph more than me judging by time it takes them to pass me, I have to brake then pull into middle lane and reset cruise again.

Inconsiderate and shows poor driving skills

This summer I drove Dundee-Liverpool-Southampton-weymouth-Gretna and back to Dundee.

Merc CL500, cruise set to 75. Always pull into left lane when possible, thing that got on my nerves is idiots with their car in top gear and their brain in neutral who have poor driving skills and box me in to a lorry in left hand lane when it would have been safe for them to pull into outside lane. They are probably doing about five mph more than me judging by time it takes them to pass me, I have to brake then pull into middle lane and reset cruise again.

If I am using cruise, I get out to the middle lane a lot earlier than I otherwise would when I can see something in lane 1 up ahead.

It doesn't guarantee not being boxed in but it happens a lot less.

If I see that situation happening, I also start slowing the cruise down so I can pull out as the middle-lane driver passes.

Hi John,

Can you explain to this geriatric OF where your location is? What does it mean? Tried google but do not understand!

I agree but your experiance proves that CC has its limitations unless the motorway is near enough empty or you set cruise speed much lower and let everyone else worry about overtaking you.

IMO it's second nature to forget CC and let your right foot adjust to the flow of traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom