Annoying noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelbilly

Car
2003 c180 kompressor
Hi*.
New to this forum.*
Need some help if possible I have got a strange noise like scraping when I turn my wheels to the right and when going in a straight line it's there but not quite noticeable a little like paper blowing in the wind and nothing when I turn left.
Any*help would be great.
Car is a 2003 c180 kompressor

Welcome aboard.

It sounds like the parking brake cable rubbing on the propshaft. It's held in place by plastic clips which are notorious for breaking, allowing the cable to move around.

You'll need to get underneath the car and remove the exhaust heat shield behind the transmission to see what's going on.

See this thread which sounds very similar.

Last edited:
Think I will have to look into this .
Never even thought about it being that far down the car .
As it sounds like front left but when my daughter was in car she said it's front right

Had a similar thing on my old car the front disk dust shield was bent and scraping against the disk, it was a tinny thing that went around the disk so just got hold of it and bent it away from the disk.

Last edited:
Checked all them and they are fine.
Will have to check the brake cable next I think

The symptoms sound similar to what I had a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/225654-metal-scratching-sound-coming-rear-wheel.html

There was a loose bolt that was grinding against the axle. It happened more when turning left. When I didn't have the grinding noise I would sometimes get a rattle.

Have a look at the pic in the thread above. You can see where the bolt head and axle had been ground down. Check if you have any fresh metal showing on the edge of the axle.

As above parking brake cable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had time to look at this noise and it was the hand brake cable robbing against the prop shaft 1 broken cable clip.

Funny setup though as the cable goes from driver's side to passengers side and goes over the prop half way up the car but all sorted now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom