Another cowboy clamping/towing company - Midway parks, Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok...got the car back. Now the fault is partly mine.

It is either 50p for 4 hours or £2.00 all day car park. The machine swallowed a pound to print a ticket for 4 hours..this has happened to other people as well going through the links I had posted earlier. I am sure that that I did not hear any sound of a return coin. Can't recollect what the display showed but things don't usually slip in front my eyes. May be I had a moment or may be not. The car was clamped and towed soon after the ticket expired.

Rang them today and called at their place. A black guy heavily covered in tattoos came to the gate and wanted £410 in cash. I asked to see the car before paying. He then opened the second gate and removed the tow truck obstructing the gate. He took the money, gave me a receipt and then opened the first gate to let me in to actually see the car and drive out.

I had a chat with him. His version was 'this business is not going to go on for long, so make some money when possible'. It got a bit unhealthy and I thought I better stop. I am working over the weekend and need be in work anytime when called. So I could really could not call Police and wait as they would not let me see the car before paying.

I really feel sorry for the owners of many tens of cars parked in their compound.

Learned the lesson the hard way. Please confirm that the ticket shows the right amount and time if anyone is going to park on private grounds, not just put the right money in.

Late into this, but there was a piece on a consumer programme recently where they determined the parking meter machines were programmed to eat money, not give change and confuse the punters - Watchdog I think (Rogue Traders perhaps).

Something similar to this.....http://www.birminghampost.net/news/...eted-digbeth-motorists-jailed-65233-28110547/

Separately, I have the phone number of a BCC officer who recently got a private parking company removed from the management of a car park behind shops in Northfield after similiar complaints.

I can pass it on if you'd like?

Last edited:
Thanks John. Yes, I really would like to pursue this further if anything can be done. I shall PM you with my email. Haven't used PM before, hopefully I should be able to!
Joe

From the linked article:
Councillor Neil Eustace, chairman of the public protection committee, said: “We hope this will send out a clear message; that illegal car clamping will not be tolerated and those conducting such activities will not only face prosecution but also jail.”

Obviously in Britain, our lax sentencing means that clear messages are not being sent out.

Another thing to check is do the employees actually removing the vehicles have valid SIA licences for vehicle immobilisation?
May be worth watching them to see if they display these licences whilst operating, if they don't they are breaking the law and can be arrested and prosecuted.
You could even go back to the impound (not on your own) with your receipt and demand to see the licences of individual employees. If they refuse call the police, they have to display them whilst working.

Late into this, but there was a piece on a consumer programme recently where they determined the parking meter machines were programmed to eat money, not give change and confuse the punters - Watchdog I think (Rogue Traders perhaps).

Something similar to this.....Owner of car clamping firm which targeted Digbeth motorists jailed - West Midlands News - News - Birmingham Post

Separately, I have the phone number of a BCC officer who recently got a private parking company removed from the management of a car park behind shops in Northfield after similiar complaints.

I can pass it on if you'd like?
I am sure I have read something about this on the peppipoo forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom