Another England Rugby Star less for the World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great role models we have for our kids!

He's not been found guilty as yet but if he is then I hope he receives a lengthy ban.
Footballeresque mentality and especially after being cut for so long!
Slade must be in for a shout now though :)

Footballeresque mentality and especially after being cut for so long!

I didn't realise that drink driving was the preserve of footballers and unheard of amongst the public school boys of rugby union.

Cipriani was never going to make the final squad anyway. SL has his fly half's in mind already. Just makes it easier to let him down now.

why should what he do in his personal life affect his proffesional career? even if it is a drink drving ban, it has no bearing on his rugby playing ability.
Being a role model wasn't his choice, his choice was to play rugby to a high standard and live his private life as he sees fit.
others have deemed him to be a role model.

I have no compassion and hope he gets what he deserves as far as driving bans and fines go, but in my opinion this has nothing at all to do with his proffesional ability, same goes for all sports stars who do stupid things in their private lives.

Sadly for sportsmen your opinion counts for nothing!

Tony.

Thats why a mercedes benz forum has a thread about a rugby player:D

Sadly our opinions don't count for much these days.

It's a media world now and the media make the rules.

OP entitled "rugby star" which is somewhat wide of the mark IMHO. He has done nothing much of significance apart from last weekend in a match that was almost a friendly.

Next thing to happen will be Rugby players sliding across the pitch when they score and using the corner flag as a microphone. OMG Wade Dooley must be crying in his beer!

I didn't realise that drink driving was the preserve of footballers and unheard of amongst the public school boys of rugby union.

Have you never been to Merthyr Tydfil or Cleckheaton? Not many public schools, plenty of rugby players.

Have you never been to Merthyr Tydfil or Cleckheaton? Not many public schools, plenty of rugby players.

We're taking about England internationals.

Take out the odd foreigner and blow-in from rugby league and they are virtually all public school boys or highly-selective grammar school types.

public school boys or highly-selective grammar school types.

I'm from a Public School past but also from a small Yorkshire Town...... so your point is??

He may not have chosen to be a role model but was quite happy to take the Rock Star wages every week, have photo's taken with kids who idolised him, go on talk shows etc, pretty much lapping up the publicity so I have no sympathy for any "Sports Personality" that strays from the legal route. :dk:

I'm from a Public School past but also from a small Yorkshire Town...... so your point is??

He may not have chosen to be a role model but was quite happy to take the Rock Star wages every week, have photo's taken with kids who idolised him, go on talk shows etc, pretty much lapping up the publicity so I have no sympathy for any "Sports Personality" that strays from the legal route. :dk:

I have no sympathy either, he'll have to deal with the consequences. Probably a lengthy ban and a big fine.
I don't see how it should affect his playing career? He may lose sponsors, not get invited on talk shows etc, which may lose him money. But for a sports star to have his career ruined because of drink driving is ridiculous in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the game of rugby.

There are plenty of people in the public eye with dd bans, vic reeves got banned and lost the Churchill insurance gig, which is understandable but he didn't lose his career over it. I see this as no different.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a total d1ck for drink driving, but that isn't my point.

Take out the odd foreigner and blow-in from rugby league and they are virtually all public school boys or highly-selective grammar school types.

Maybe but isn't this because many state schools play more football than rugby. The squad will be selected for ability not what school they went to.

I don't see how it should affect his playing career? But for a sports star to have his career ruined because of drink driving is ridiculous in my opinion. It has nothing to do with the game of rugby.

There are plenty of people in the public eye with dd bans, vic reeves got banned and lost the Churchill insurance gig, which is understandable but he didn't lose his career over it. I see this as no different.

There are other occupations whereby, under regulation (public sector) or contract (private sector) a criminal conviction would lead to the perpetrator having to fight to keep their job. Although not widespread, it is not unheard of.

I would suggest that any disciplinary action against this man is relative to the commercial interest in that, had he been a 'true' celeb (who are normally self-employed working on a contract- lose the contract but keep the occupation) or dare I say, a footballer, it would not be as big an issue. This raises the question, will the governing body/manager etc set the behavioural standard high so that they are seen not to be associated with the mire-ridden double standard cesspit that their footballing cousins have become or will commercial interest triumph? Just a thought, no strong feelings either way.

Last edited:
Why exactly is this in the general motoring discussion section and not in the Offtopic section?

Last edited:

My point is both simple and obvious.

As the case in question demonstrates, drink-driving charges are not restricted to any particular group in society and can include those with a privileged background as readily as anyone else.

So I don't understand why you believe that Cipriani has displayed a "footballeresque mentality" (whatever that's supposed to mean).

In my younger days when I played football, particularly on Sunday mornings, a number of my teammates would arrive at the ground worse for drink , drugs or in some cases both.

We generally had problems putting out a full team so the drunks / hippies got to play,with some interesting events following. Saturday football was so much better being played pm, as there was a recovery period from the night before, prior to kick off.

It seems to me that professional footballers still, to some extent, follow the same path cos it's inbred innit. Hence the reference above.

Rugby players seem to be a different breed generally in that they smash the hell out of each other on the field and then, for some strange reason, go and drink together in the bar afterwards. That assumes that they are not in hospital of course.

A goor reference point for this behaviour is the film "If" directed by Linsey Anderson starring Malcolm Macdowell( McDonald)- says it all really IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom