Another one bites the dust...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
After 11 years, got made redundant last Thursday :(

Not wholly unexpected as my company had been purchased by a larger company a little time ago and it did seem in some ways that it was the intent of the bigger company to dominate. All done very much by the book with a consultation period etc. My role will be "absorbed into other members of the team for some elements and done in a different way for other elements" Hands up those who can think of a worse time for this to happen?

So if y'all need an IT related Bids Manager, a Product Manager or even a Sales Manager just holler! Wasn't someone looking for a contract worker abroad? :D I refuse to feel anything but positive and will make this a change for the better (besides, have you ever seen daytime TV? :eek: )

Now - do you want a large fries with that? :bannana:

Sorry to hear the news.
Dont really know what to suggest as almost every section of society is affected by the current "downturn".
I hope you soon get fixed up.

Hopefully you got a sensible package to see you through any gap.

Not good, you won't be the last by some margin, the current market is terrifying for small business owners (like me).

My aim is to still be in business in 6 months time.......that's about as much as you can hope for right now.

All the nonsense about lending to small and medium businesses on the news won't ever reach the likes of me...consider that to the govt a "small business" is under 250 employees.

Last edited:
Companies, small or large dont want handouts or loans. They want an environment where there is opportunity and room for growth.
This lot has the business accumen of a cage of baboons.

Sorry to hear the news.
All I know is that Defence and Nuclear industries seem to be doing OK, if those are sectors you can move in to?

More bad news, Gollom; sorry to hear it :(

I'm just waiting myself. Recently put most of my eggs into one basket, because long term clients are proving harder to secure, and now my biggest earner has just laid off 90, and put everyone else onto a four day week.

I reckon as soon as they can find a way to wriggle out of my contract, I'll be off too...

Gollum - sorry to hear your news - this economy is bad but we are going to see a lot worse before it gets better.

Hope you find something soon

Best wishes

Sorry to hear this Steve - hope you get something else sorted soon.

Try and look on it as an opportunity for change, not easy I know.

Companies, small or large dont want handouts or loans. They want an environment where there is opportunity and room for growth.

Strategically yes.

But there's a of damaging short term and tactical pain out there.

If HMG wanted to help SMEs they could overhaul the supposedly fair procurement processes that basically block out small local companies from even getting a look in on many pubilc sector contracts.

This lot has the business accumen of a cage of baboons.

Well what should we expect when the last two PMs have basically been professional politicians and haven't worked for a living in the normal sense?

Sorry to hear the news.

Sounds like you have the right mindset though.

Opportunities are always there. The knack is firstly to spot them, more importantly, take them. Fingers crossed a few come your way soon.

Steve - very sorry to hear that. :(

It's obviously distressing for you, but with your positive outlook on things, I am convinced you will find a way to turn this into an opportunity and find yourself in an improved position eventually.

If I come across an opportunity, I will most definitely let you know!

This is bad news. If I were you I'd get your CV all ready and join agencies, look on the web for various roles in your field, but don't narrow your search too far or set your expectations too high-you may end up having to take something you thought was beneath you.

Try and get something just to tide you over financially and keep your CV moving forward, that way getting a "better job" again will be that bit easier. Its easier to go from empoyment to employment rather than from unemployment to employment.

Good for you for keeping positive - you'll find something soon enough..

As Mudster says, our long term goal is to be trading in 6 months time however I've done two pitches for decent sized (for us) projects yesterday and this morning in unrelated sectors - so things are still going forward despite what is being hammered out 24-7 by every form of media.

I'm hoping down the line, this whole shake up makes some kind of sense - the last thing I want right now is a govt backed loan...

Ade

Sorry to hear the news Steve and I wish you luck in finding a new job. I have a couple of friends out of work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom