Another Paypal/ Ebay scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Received an email earlier from "[email protected]" "Your Paypal reset failed . we received a request to change password , etc, etc from IP Address 82.30.120.166 . please open attached document PP85942 to verify your details. " This is the third attempt in the last few weeks that some **** has tried to scam my account. be carefull out there!

Hmm

Same thing happened to my neighbour. He also at one point was re-directed to an ebay look-a-like page but noticed that the url was incorrect for the real ebay.

As you say "be careful".

I often get calls from foreign numbers these days. A man from 'microsoft' or similar tries to make me aware of an error on my puter. He will direct you of course to a bogus download etc etc. install malware and bye bye personal info. Last time i answered with 'Hello Southend police station how can i help ?' The line was dead before i stopped talking. Urls often have extra dots and spaces.

So how the heck do you know its the real ebay or not.

My back up plastic to my paypal account is coming up for renewal soon. I have had a request from "paypal" for details of the new card but how do I know if this request is legit.

trapperjohn said:
So how the heck do you know its the real ebay or not.

My back up plastic to my paypal account is coming up for renewal soon. I have had a request from "paypal" for details of the new card but how do I know if this request is legit.

Best thing to do is ignore any links in any emails you receive. Log onto the website directly and renew that way. If its possible to do it over the net there should be a section on the website for you to do it. It's bad practice for financial institutions to ask you to do something via email, as these can be sent to the wrong address in error.

As I said, never follow a link which requests personal info from an email.

If your still wary, get on the blower and confirm its legit. The cost/time making sure will save a lot of time/stress and money in the long run

Suspecting a scam i just googled the "paypal case number" then followed the advice on a link from ebay , which advised that a genuine message from them would be copied to my messages on my ebay account. If it is not on your account , it was not sent by them. Also , i think if you just send a reply to your incoming email , without opening it , you will get "undeliverable" from the postmaster. Scary thing is , the emails look , at first glance to be genuine.

Another scam that has been tried around here is a courier delivering a bottle of wine and box of chocolates "free" . But you have to pay £5 for delivery , by credit card to "prove" that it was accepted by an adult. The "courier" produces a portable card reader for you to enter your pin number. Surprisingly , a couple of days later you have an empty bank account. ( i think i would be a step ahead of them there).

car "servicing" and expensive "repairs", by many a so called reputable garage come dealer, are some of the biggest scams I know of - many thousands of people must get caught every year - cost must run into £millions

Ebay always put my name in email, real name not ebay user name. And of course the only place to change details is while logged in to https://ebay...... 10-15 years ago i could send anonymous mail. For laughs you could put whoevers name on it. Like mail from George Bush. I would guess its just as easy still.

Oh S**t! Do you think the email I got from Nelson Mandela asking me to help him transfer money from his account in Nigeria wasn't genuine, then? Surely not?

Oh S**t! Do you think the email I got from Nelson Mandela asking me to help him transfer money from his account in Nigeria wasn't genuine, then? Surely not?

No that is real. I asked my new Nigerian Princess Wife (just married never met) she says it's all good. She is flying over to meet me next week when my bank transfers her the funds.

I often get calls from foreign numbers these days. A man from 'microsoft' or similar tries to make me aware of an error on my puter. He will direct you of course to a bogus download etc etc. install malware and bye bye personal info. Last time i answered with 'Hello Southend police station how can i help ?' The line was dead before i stopped talking. Urls often have extra dots and spaces.

Over the past month had a spate of call from "Microsoft", "Windows" and most recently "Dell", all with the pathetic tales of there being a problem with my computer etc etc

Also callers claiming to be doing a "Lifestyle Survey" and "Green Energy".

But last evening came the most stupid yet: a woman claiming to be a psychic who said she had had a dream that I was in trouble, been "given" my number and was calling me to tell me how I could get the winning numbers for the Friday Euromillions Lottery!

My lucky day eh? The winning numbers and for only $99.00!

I had them.

I kept then on for half an hour banging on about the data protection act and how did Microsoft know what was on my computer etc etc

Great chat. Hopefully cost him a bit from whatever foreign country he was in.

Sadly not.

They operate via VoIP Call Centres, taking internet feed from anywhere and then feeding into UK telephone system.

Current rates are about £5 for monthly channel rental and around 0.6/0.7 pence per minute to UK 01 or 02 landlines, 5p to 6p per minute to mobiles.

There is a reason why there are so many damn calls.

There is a reason why there are so many damn calls.

Yes - unfortunately they work.

That's the sad thing about all these scams. If they didn't work, they wouldn't bother but they do.

Anyways, I was amazed he actually engaged with me. would have known I was only wasting him time but carried on regardless

As Satch says - their telecoms costs are negigible. Even without using things like VOIP gateways international calling is available at less than BT metered local rates.

However by tying up the individual on the phone you are consuming their notional value by blocking them from generating revenue.

One new nuance I've noticed on some of these unsolicited calls is the use of local numbers for large towns - so they select the number they appear to be calling from based on who they are calling (so if you live in Huddersfield your callerid shows a Huddersfield number calling you).

On Sunday got a call on my mobile mid afternoon. Recorded message saying (words to the effect) "this is barclaycard calling. We'd like to talk to you about your account. Please press any key to continue... "

I rang off.

About 2 or 3 seconds later, landline rang - same message. Again I rang off - not sure if scam or genuine. After all, I do get recorded calls sometimes usually trying to sell me something. I thought these calls were fake - anyways, I was suspicious.

I then called barclaycard fraud line. After going through several option choices, none of which applied, I got through to a human, had to prove who I was by answering numerous personal questions, and remembering I'd paid for my car insurance with my barclaycard in July, it was explained that because I'd spent 'a large amount' the day before, they'd blocked my card (well, it was getting on for 2 grand, I admit). So that's why when I'd tried to spend £100 on the card (Internet) that evening it wouldn't work! They kindly unblocked it for me. But why not call me immediately when the card went through the machine? Or send a text? Why wait until the next day? And why not get a human to call me instead of a machine? You can ask a human "what's all this about?"

Would have preferred to get a text, inviting me to call instead of a recorded voice.

If barclaycard worry about that why didn't Lloyds bat an eye when I paid by card buying my car, for far more than that? No call, no text, no subsequent blocking. And Lloyds text me if a new chequebook is on it's way to me, just in case it doesn't arrive (which I think is a good idea).

Orwic

Had a call to my mobile the other day , voicemail message asking me to call a number regarding a life insurance policy for myself and wife ( named us both in the recording) , and said it was regarding a policy taken out in 2009. Decided i will wait until they write to me , since they no doubt just want to sell me something else. ....... unless of course i have died witout realising it , and they want to know where to send the cheque.;)

BEWARE OF THIS SCAM!!!!!!!!!!

Had a text from a spoofed number that exactly matched my daughters number, informing me that she was destitute and unable to buy food and could I deposit fifty pounds in a bank account that had EXACTLY the same details as hers.
Clearly a scam as she had obviously had at least fifty pounds to spend on alcohol when the Taxi service aka 'dad' was called upon to pick her up after a night on the town.
You have been warned!

very interesting scams going on out there. last month i received a text from a number i didnt know. the person pretended to be my wife, and she had lost her handbag with bankcards and mobile phone, and she had borrowed a strangers phone to text me. in the text she was asking for our halifax joint account pin code since it was saved on the phone she had just lost. she was left with one bank card which was in the jacket she was wearing. i did find it very strange coz my wife knows all our bank accounts codes from the top of her head, including pin codes. and wen she left the house she didnt have a jacket on, it was hot that day, so i rang up the number and no one picked up.

it then turned out that someone stole her handbag, and went through the phone contacts and picked me out as i was saved as hubby

careful guys
u have been warned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom