Another scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Received this email supposedly from Apple.

'Preferences' in Thunderbird mail give the sender as r.mzstatic.com or [email protected]

Dear Derek XXXXX,

On 29/10/2016 you are scheduled to be charged £0.79 for your 50 GB iCloud storage plan, but there is a problem with your payment information.
Be sure to update your payment information as soon as possible. Your account will be downgraded to the free 5 GB storage plan if we cannot successfully renew your subscription.
Follow the instructions below to update your billing information:
Go to Settings and tap iCloud.
Tap your name.
Tap Payment and follow the prompts.
You can also update payment information from a Mac or PC.

The iCloud Team.

Do we think this is genuine or someone scamming me? The details of the Apple account are correct.

Received this email supposedly from Apple.

'Preferences' in Thunderbird mail give the sender as r.mzstatic.com or [email protected]

Dear Derek XXXXX,

On 29/10/2016 you are scheduled to be charged £0.79 for your 50 GB iCloud storage plan, but there is a problem with your payment information.
Be sure to update your payment information as soon as possible. Your account will be downgraded to the free 5 GB storage plan if we cannot successfully renew your subscription.
Follow the instructions below to update your billing information:
Go to Settings and tap iCloud.
Tap your name.
Tap Payment and follow the prompts.
You can also update payment information from a Mac or PC.

The iCloud Team.

Do we think this is genuine or someone scamming me? The details of the Apple account are correct.

Seems genuine to me on all major factors.

Seems genuine to me on all major factors.

1. They know your name.

2. They do not provide any links, but ask that you log-on to your iCloud account as you normally would.

3. There are no obvious spelling or grammar mistakes.

4. mzstatic.com is a domain registered to Apple.

On balance, this does look genuine.

markjay said:
1. They know your name. 2. They do not provide any links, but ask that you log-on to your iCloud account as you normally would. 3. There are no obvious spelling or grammar mistakes. 4. mzstatic.com is a domain registered to Apple. On balance, this does look genuine.

I think you're right. Just found the same email I had a few months ago after I was issued a new card. I must admit I thought the email was a scam when I received it.

You were right to be suspicious, though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks all for the advice. Actually haven't had a new card for some time. :dk:

If you look at the sender domain mzstatic.com it is registered to apple.com, and as above they do not provide links, they know your details and they just ask you to log into your account to update your details.

Seems legit but you are right to be cautious.

Easiest way to check is just look on the AppStore in your phone if ever in doubt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom