Another W210 back from corrosion repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
Finally, after four weeks, I’ve got my car back from having its rust removed / treated.

When I picked it up from the dealer, at first impressions, it looked very good, but then I found some surprises.

The work that was carried out was as follows:

Replace both offside doors
Sandblast rear corner and top of NSR door
Sandblast top of NSF door
Sandblast lip of NSF wheel arch
Sandblast bonnet seam at OS hinge area

Walking round the car it became apparent that this wasn’t quite what the dealer had led me to believe – an almost complete respray. Indeed a lot of the car has been re-lacquered, however, where there were stone chips before, the lacquer has simply been applied over the top.

The NSF wing had a ding in it – which had broken the paint. I was expecting to be asked to contribute towards the cost of a new wing, but it came back repainted with the ding still there.

The two offside doors look fine, being new, they are a good fit and look as good as new.

The nearside doors have had the sandblasting treatment – let’s start with the front. This looks pretty good – from a brief check over it, it’s been treated and there’s very little evidence it was ever rusty when viewed from the outside, but oddly the colour coat doesn’t extend right up to the base of the rubber when pulled back – there’s primer under there. Sure, it’s a difficult place to get paint into, moreover it’s not somewhere you’ll be able to see unless you look carefully. The rear door had a big bleb of rust around the rear corner (nearest the handle), which has been sandblasted, but only the outward facing part has been filled, look inside the door shut and you can see the pitting where the rust was. This is also true of the area around the top of the door under the rubber. The ding in the rear door has simply been painted over, but is still there.

The bonnet had rust starting in the seam at the rear hinge area, which had bubbled out onto the bonnet shut face. This has been treated and I think I can see how big the sand was because some is still in the seam, which has been opened up slightly to allow access (presumably) to the sand. Of course this has been painted also, but the area between the sheets of metal is still brown in colour – how could you effectively treat rust here anyway (without lots more work)?

It’s probably worth saying before I go any further that I definitely wasn’t looking for (or expecting) a completely new looking car out of this. I am disappointed though as this looks like a cheap job done at a good bodyshop. Considering I’ve been driving a Smart ForFour for the last 1,450 miles I was really hoping for something pretty special.

While walking around the car with the service advisor, I pointed out a dark mark/deposit on the NSF bumper corner that wasn’t there when it came in, he tried to pick the deposit off the bumper with his fingernails but it wouldn’t all come off and sent me round to the bodyshop locally where I was met by a nice chap, who I took to be the boss of the company.

He sent the car off to get the mark looked at and all the deposit came off, leaving a small area about the size of a 5 pence piece that is darker and looks like the lacquer has been rubbed through. We talked about the job in general and he explained that MB UK are cutting the hours down so much now on these corrosion repairs that he literally can’t do anything more than is specified. Therefore he has to do the job in the minimum of time, hence cheaply. Even though I see his point, I have to question what extra effort it would have taken to sort the stone chips, given the area had to be thoroughly rubbed down anyway before the lacquer could be applied. He’s being screwed to the floor, wants to do a good job but is being paralysed by the system.

Talking about the bonnet, he said he was of the opinion that he would be chasing that rust around it over the next few years, the only sensible cure would be to replace the panel. It’s clear to see that this is going to cost MB much more in the end and I wonder when they will see the light and stop this from happening.

I was also shown an Audi that was about to go back to its owner following repair – it was as perfect as I could see, so I took his point that they were a decent quality shop.

So, the question is – should I be happy with this?

I’m not really a big complainer and in this instance wouldn’t really know who to have a moan at, since the common denominator seems to be somewhere in Milton Keynes, rather than Kent.

The options open to me now are to sell the car while the paint all looks fresh, keep it and try not to care too much what it looks like, or have a moan at someone until it gets sorted out properly.

Selling feels dishonest.
Keeping it as it is, well that’s disappointment.
Moaning at someone, well that has to be hassle!

I know, I know – another thread on W210 corrosion. If anyone wants pictures to make it more interesting, give me a shout!

Ian.

IanT said:
The bonnet had rust starting in the seam at the rear hinge area, which had bubbled out onto the bonnet shut face. This has been treated and I think I can see how big the sand was because some is still in the seam, which has been opened up slightly to allow access (presumably) to the sand. Of course this has been painted also, but the area between the sheets of metal is still brown in colour – how could you effectively treat rust here anyway (without lots more work)?

He sent the car off to get the mark looked at and all the deposit came off, leaving a small area about the size of a 5 pence piece that is darker and looks like the lacquer has been rubbed through. We talked about the job in general and he explained that MB UK are cutting the hours down so much now on these corrosion repairs that he literally can’t do anything more than is specified. Therefore he has to do the job in the minimum of time, hence cheaply. Even though I see his point, I have to question what extra effort it would have taken to sort the stone chips, given the area had to be thoroughly rubbed down anyway before the lacquer could be applied. He’s being screwed to the floor, wants to do a good job but is being paralysed by the system.

Talking about the bonnet, he said he was of the opinion that he would be chasing that rust around it over the next few years, the only sensible cure would be to replace the panel. It’s clear to see that this is going to cost MB much more in the end and I wonder when they will see the light and stop this from happening.

Ian you are apsolutely right about the time constraints being applied by MB. The repairer gets three hours to do a door. That is all including stripping and rebuilding.
It's quite possible of course that the dealer is taking a cut of the money that MB pays so the repairer is having to do the job for even less than MB actually pay.

There is no way a bonnet seam problem can really be sorted, it needs a new bonnet, but MB just won't authorise that job.

You as a customer shouldn't suffer so you should firstly take your complaint back to the dealer. If they fail to deal with this then take it to MB. Explain to mB that the repairers say they cant do a better job without panel replacement and see what happens.

MB will take normally take the warranty back up on the repair after one year, before that it's down to the repairer to sort out the problem.

At the end of the day this needs sorting to your satisfaction.

Whatever you do - Put your complaints in writing to the Dealer and get him to acknowledge and reply. You can then use this as evidence at a later stage if the problem gets worse.

Looking at the bonnet again, I'm sure the seam is full of grit, some of which is painted silver / shiny grey / dirty chrome. ;)

Looking further around and it's apparent that almost every single opening in the underside of the bonnet has bubbles of rust coming through, plus one or two of the spot welds are bubbling now as well. I think they'll be wishing they'd given me a new bonnet soon. I'll have another chat to the dealer about that and get them started on that claim - after all, I did request they did the full inspection, but they only did the parts that I had identified myself, hence my discovery of the front wing later on. Obviously the bonnet will last a few more years even if the rust speeds up a bit, and shouldn't be unsafe for some time.

I'm thinking now that the whole car, less the bonnet and roof has been lacquered, as under petrol station forecourt lighting it's possible to see the blended paint as being slightly too metallic. No bad thing, as the shine is better than it was to start with.

Good advice there from both, thanks.

It's my view that anything that does get treated for rust should be made good such that any pitting or evidence of prior rust disappears altogether, also that any panel that gets resprayed should be done in its entirety, if lacquer is applied, it is over paint, not chips. That might seem a little extreme, but if my car was still in original paint, there would be no such damage.

I'll give it a few days so I can look at it more closely and then draft a letter, as you say, see what happens.

I'm not going to accept another Smart car next time either! ;)

Cheers, Ian.

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
I feel sorry for you, because reading your post you are trying to do the right thing.

Dieselman as usual talks a lot of sense and is merely telling us all how it is! I have said right from the get go that Mercedes-Benz are being ill advised in attempting to try and repair corroded wings, doors, bonnets and any other easily removable panel. The long term economics simply do not add up, your repair is NOT of an acceptable standard and MUST be returned. The correspondance is going to generate a paper trail and even this is going to cost extra money!

You must put all your experiences, and observations in writing, take photographs and try to keep the repairing agent 'on-side'. Your repair has been authorised by Mercedes-Benz through your local dealer, I would firstly liase with the dealership, and see if they will do the corresponding with Milton Keynes. It is possible that they might ask you to put in writing your dissatisfaction and give you the name and address of the appropriate person to write to at Milton Keynes. I always put things in writing and keep a record of ALL correspondance.

The car has not been repaired to anything like an acceptable standard and you deserve better, all owners deserve better. You need to have patience and lots of determination to get this situation resolved.

Just remember... A picture paints a thousands words, your message has described the shoody repair very well but pictures are a record that will benfit your case no end.

Good luck,
John

A somewhat belated thanks to John for the advice, even if I didn't take it...

Having been away from the forum for quite some time, I thought it was time I returned and brought some closure to this thread.

I did go back to the dealer and complained, but in truth felt that they had spoiled my enjoyment of the car with the apparent lack of quality in the repair. They weren't particularly helpful and said that they were generally unsuccessful in such cases and that I should take my complaint to their sub-contractor (Tonbridge Coachworks).

So I did the obvious thing and cut my losses, sold the car pretty much straight afterwards - the 'repaired' door tops had tight water bubbles under the paint (behind the rubber seals) within a month, bursting these left rusty stains.

The stone chips under the paint, a 'smoky' effect of blend coat around the repaired areas and other faults convinced me that I was into a long haul, that at the time I really couldn't be doing with.

I even forget what the car was I bought to replace it with, but having driven around for the last year and a bit in something non-MB I can't help remembering the better times with the Merc.

That all means that despite my feelings on corrosion, that I am considering making a return to the fold, selling my current (perfectly serviceable and non-rusty) Vectra V6. I'm pretty undecided on what to go for, a 124? Another 210? The 124 choice is only really tempered by the allure of the 320 diesel of the 210.

Who knows.

Ian.

Ian, in your situation, I would certainly look at another W210, your eyes are now wide open and you know where to look. Failing that the 211's are supposed to be less prone to the worm, I personally have recently changed to a W220 S Class and I am very impressed with the car:rock: . Mercedes do get into the blood I feel and anything else dosn't cut the mustard so to speak:D

Ian,

Unfortunately I had a similar experience to you, getting my 320 CDI W210 in August '05, finding rust in Sep '05. Started getting repairs done in Oct '05, and finally getting the car back in good order in April '06. Rust came back on repaired panels in late Sept '06, I was so gutted, as car had only done 30k milees. Traded car for galvanised VW Passat as I couldn't bare to go through the repair process again. I would maybe consider another MB in the future, but only one that doesn't rust.

PS:

If anyone is interested I have the following that need a good home for the right price:
1 x Set of W210 car mats in silver/grey as new. (OEM)
1 x Warning Triangle from boot lid. (OEM)
1 x New N/S folding door mirror chassis complete with glass. (OEM)
1 x New N/S NON folding door mirror chassis. (NON OEM)
1 x New O/S NON folding door mirror chassis. (NON OEM)
1 x Used N/S folding door mirror chassis (rubber is slightly tatty but is in full working order) (OEM)
1 x Used O/S folding door mirror chassis (rubber is slightly tatty but is in full working order) (OEM)

Unfortunately I'm not able to put them in the classified section as yet.
Regards

Mark.

Geoff and Mark,

I see both sides and whilst it's gutting that of all cars, a Mercedes would be the one with the rust problem, going in with (as Geoff puts it) my eyes wide open isn't such a bad thing to do. Buy one with a full history and Mobilo Life, then do what I should have done last time and stick at it with MB until the car comes back without rust or bodges. I know of a couple of C Class with no rust whatsoever in the door tops on 97P plates, that have never had any work, so good ones are out there. :)

Or simply get one much more cheaply and fix it myself.

Let's let this thread slip back into the depths - a lovely car spoiled and all that.

Ian.

Here are my observations on the W210.....cars upto 1996 P reg seem to suffer from far less rust than newer versions....I've seen 2002 Estates with rust on the rear tailgate by the release handle!

Solid colours rust far, far, less than metallics....silver and smoke silver metallics seem to be the worst by far.

If it were me, I would go for a W124, preferably a pre-face lift model as the build quality is top notch and go for the best one you can and don't be too afraid of mileage as they can take huge mileages with ease.

If you go for another W210, try and seek out a solid coloured car, ie dark blue or black, unless you like white or fire-engine red W210's:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom