Any alternative to tracker fitment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2m

Car
AMG GTS ED1
Hi everyone,

Picking up my new AMG towards the end of July. My last had to have a tracker monitor installed when bought new for insurance purposes.

Is there an alternative product to tracker monitor?
If not is there any competition in the installer market? as I had to pay a grand last time!! and it seems the same wherever you go.

Cheers

A grand !! Really ? I had traffic master fitted to my RRS with 12months membership for £500

Why bother with a tracker. Just take gap insurance... If your car has been stolen and thrashed around do you really want it back, i know i wouldnt.

Thx for replies.

Tracker cat 5 plus Is a grand inc first yr tracking.
Insurance company will not cover the car without said cat 5 device.

Sounds like no alternatives?

Hi,
I am sure I have read Mercedes can fit on for you and I seem to recall its cheaper than a grand, worth asking.
Just found a thread from four years ago MB Tracker £199 + £132 Annual Subscription, whether that is good enough standard for your insurance not sure but a quick google shows they do two levels of tracker.

Last edited:
who is your insurance company? is it privilege?

I had the Tracker Cat5 fitted to mine (had it on the old one too) - Although it's £200 a year (less if you buy multiple years) it reduces my insurance by over £300.

I take the point re gap insurance and whether I would want the car back after theft but my thinking is if it's stolen they probably got the keys from my house and took a bunch of other stuff to - I want the b*****eds caught.

The advantage of being 47 years of age i pay £280 a year up to 6,000 miles a year and no tracking system fitted. that is with Hastings.

You could always tie a really long piece of string to the car :D

IMHO I suspect some insurance companies are in partnership with tracker to push their product.

Likelihood of having a car stolen is so low, just shop elsewhere for cover.

Agree, get a different insurer.

I've had tracker requests before, but just went elsewhere for instance.

As said gap insurance is cheap.

I once told Elephant insurance i had a Tracker fitted to my car, they pushed the premiums up as it was deemed a modification!!!

Go figure.

Thx guys. It's a requirement for my car. It's the cat 5. 800 quid to fit plus a years subs at 200 smackers. They all want it this device. It's an amg gts

The advantage of being 47 years of age i pay £280 a year up to 6,000 miles a year and no tracking system fitted. that is with Hastings.

Is it worth having a car for such low mileage? You could jog that ;)

But joking aside that's cheap for an AMG. No claims and a low risk area?

OK , OP has an AMG GT, different kettle of fish to our regular cooking amg's

Is it worth having a car for such low mileage? You could jog that ;)

But joking aside that's cheap for an AMG. No claims and a low risk area?

My 63 reg E63 is only £300 a year. I've got one accident and 6 points. It is oddly half the price of my previous 3yo BMW 335i worth 20 grand.

The secret is to move out of our god forsaken **** hole, scum bag filled cities into the countryside...

I live in the country and had a car stolen recently :-(
Massive inconvenience very stressfull and costly experience.

We are having a combined alarm/defender & tracker tomorrow . Apparently, they have never had a vehicle fitted with their system stolen (if the car is stolen they can turn it off remotely, when it is moving slowly/stationary). Trust me it is better to pay £500 and not have the car stolen in the first place

Hi, thx for the reply. Getting the tracker cat 5+ fitted. Roll on Thursday.

Apparently, they have never had a vehicle fitted with their system stolen (if the car is stolen they can turn it off remotely, when it is moving slowly/stationary).

Trust me they can't, simply from a safety point of view. I say this as I used to run the monitoring centre for Cobra Vehicle Tracking, so I know quite well how these units work and the guidelines from Thatcham.

To be able to remotely shut down the car it would have to be tied into the ECU on most modern stuff to cut either fuel or ignition, as it stands any tracker with "remote shutdown" capability is simply a starter inhibit. And even that was only allowed to be performed with confirmation from an officer on scene with the vehicle and in direct line of sight to confirm it's unattended.(by which point it's already stolen!)
Even at low speed if you take away the engine you take away brakes and steering. You could end up being responsible for taking out someone crossing the road as well as the theif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom