Any boxing geeks here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
After another game of Wii Boxing, I decided that boxing was a good workout to add to my gym routine.

I've ordered some hand-wraps, but am unsure about gloves... I'm planning on using the gym's bag, which (I'm guessing) is a "heavy bag" ? (its a cylindrical thing handing from a bracket on the wall and is quite soft to touch, but not overly so).

Do I need gloves? What is the difference between normal "bag gloves" and "heavy bag gloves"? Does one wear gloves over the wrap or just the wrap? Just the gloves?

Any other ideas, tips hints? (need to find someone that can show me what I need to do! will ask at the gym too)

Thanks ia,
Michele

no idea what a boxing geek is but as I understand it, the wraps go under the gloves to protect the knuckles. heavy bag gloves would give a better workout as they're heavier so you burn more energy to shift the weight. i've never had a problem punching (leather) bags with bare knuckles, though. canvas ones would be rougher on the knuckles and if you overdo it you could wear the skin out so you'll bleed. one other advantage of gloves is that if you hit the bag without, and you're not square on, you could injure your wrist. with a glove, the impact is lessened plus there is a little wrist support.

as to whether it's a heavy bag or not, you'll have to ask you gym whether it is or not. I can't tell from a description!

Use medium weight training gloves if your just starting out.I have a boxing bag in my garage that provides a very good workout.Also try to find a partner so you can box into their spar gloves.

adam

New pro bags tend to be heavy foam filled
Leather bags last longer IMO

Lighter bag = better footwork, hand eye co-ordination
Heavy bag - power punches (be careful you don't hurt yourself) you can lean into it and do more varied body shots upper cuts etc:

Don't sand fill unless you want to break your knuckles but it is good as a base weight

14-16oz bag gloves are perfect you'll not need wraps as they can split your skin if not done properly.

SEM

Perfect; thanks. I guess I'll buy some bag gloves.

What I meant by:
What is the difference between normal "bag gloves" and "heavy bag gloves"?
is probably more on the lines of, are "heavy bag gloves" heavy-bag gloves or heavy bag-gloves? (is in, gloves for heavy bags or heavy versions of bag gloves?)

Shadowninja, regarding wrist support, I thought it was the hand-wrap that provided wrist support as a pose to the glove? (From the wrist-wrapping things I've read, they seem to focus alot on supporting the wrist - though I do realise there are quite a few ways to wrap hands).

Thanks again ;)
Michele

I can box but am not a geek!!!

Using your bear knuckles starting off slowly is a good way and no need for gloves...;)

Wraps or no wraps, you will still shread your knuckles! the wraps help support your wrist but you will still pick up an injury if you do not have the right technique when punching. Personally, I would start with your hands aswell, toughen them up before putting gloves on.

Get yourself in a local gym before you start out, get your stance and some basic moves before you let rip at home.

I am out of breath after the first round!!!!!

Last edited:
Who needs a bag, when you have your Wii!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just play it more!!:D

The satisfation of feeling the thud of you glove on the bag or waving you remote around...mmmmm;)
konami_mocap_boxing.jpg

These are what i used to train with
punch_bag_gloves.jpg

Last edited:
The Wii IS great... after 30/40 minutes of Wii Boxing with a friend I feel fairly sweaty... that said, I want to try something with more "impact" :p (cue next nintendo controller, every time you hit something it sends an electric pulse down your hand :p)

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom