Any CCTV gurus on the forum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Guys, really looking for someone with knowledge of CCTV, specifically IP CCTV.(I think!)-Is this where I don't need a NVR/DVR?
I want to install good quality CCTV to cover my front door and a second camera to cover my back door/garden. I like the look of dome cameras and particularly this one: Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I(S) outdoor dome IP camera 4 megapixel I want to be able to view my cameras online from a PC and my iPhone as I will also have a burglar alarm set up with email/SMS alerts. What I really want is the cameras to only record when motion is detected so if there is an incident, I don't have to troll through hours of footage.
Would anyone be able to kindly help with the following questions please?

1-Whats the difference between an NVR and a DVR?
2-These camera support 64GB on board micro sim storage, so what are the advantages of an NVR/DVR?
3-This camera comes with software-Can I set it up only to record when motion is detected to the on board SD card? But still be able to view the camera 'live'?
4-The camera supports Power over Ethernet (POE). Can I just run a CAT5/6 to the camera and buy a POE Ethernet switch such as this: TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE (No C | eBay and then plug the switch into my router?
5-If I use a POE switch and the camera has on board storage, is there any advantage of having an NVR/DVR? Can I presume I can still view the cameras online and have them to record when motion is detected?
6-Lens size: They come with 2.8mm, 4mm and I think 12mm is also available. Which lens would I need, or is it worth spending a lot more for the same camera with a vari-focal lens? Bear in mind I would like the camera mounted to the side of the front and rear doors (on the same plane), to pick up anyone approaching the doors, but also someone walking up my short drive (5m) and at the rear I would like it to cover if someone was jumping over my fence to approach the rear door.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's a minefield out there and I want to get it right. Thank you.

I am NOT technical, but I use two of these: D-Link DCS-2330L Outdoor HD Wireless Network Camera Review

Can be set to record by 'motion', or at set times, Live viewing and sends me emails to notify me of any movement. - Using the 'd-link' app, I can access the cameras or recordings at any time on my iphone, android phone, or laptop.

Brilliant product at sensible money!

I think you are over-thinking it, buy a Swann 3MP kit from Screwfix and you will be mega impressed, the picture quality is amazing at 3MP (beware your linked one is 4MP at only 20 frames per second not the usual 25).

They are wired with ethernet so very easy and cheap to run wires, then if you want to view on app you need to supply NVR with ethernet from your internet and you can then view cameras remotely.

Easily set up to motion record only and a lot more I couldnt tell you about!

Plug TV into NVR with HDMI for live viewing, playback of recordings etc!

I have Swanns previous system to their 3MP, its 1MP and still superb picture never mind the 3MP. Brilliant gadget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No expert here, but I've learned a little. :)

1 - NVR records from a network. DVR needs hard-wired connection to each camera.
2 - The cameras are visible to the crims, so if a camera with internal storage is seen and removed, you have no evidence. An NVR or DVR in the house seem slightly more secure to me.
3 - I think this will depend entirely on the camera chosen and the software, but I see no reason why not.
4 - I think that's how it works.
5 - See #2 above.
6 - I wouldn't think the vari-focal lens would be worth the money/hassle. Go for a lens with about 130 degree field of view and view the output from it before finally fixing in position.

I think you are over-thinking it, buy a Swann 3MP kit from Screwfix and you will be mega impressed, the picture quality is amazing at 3MP (beware your linked one is 4MP at only 20 frames per second not the usual 25).

They are wired with ethernet so very easy and cheap to run wires, then if you want to view on app you need to supply NVR with ethernet from your internet and you can then view cameras remotely.

Easily set up to motion record only and a lot more I couldnt tell you about!

Plug TV into NVR with HDMI for live viewing, playback of recordings etc!

I have Swanns previous system to their 3MP, its 1MP and still superb picture never mind the 3MP. Brilliant gadget!

Thanks-Are you talking about something like this: Swann SWDVK-847504 8-Channel 3MP Super HD DVR Security System & 4 Cameras | High Definition | Screwfix.com

Costco do an absolutely brilliant 4 channel kit with a 500GB DVR for ~£200. I believe they are 720p HD cameras too! I tested it out in store absolutely crystal clear.

I saw this around 1 month ago in Costco Milton Keynes

Yes thats the one. I say buy that you will be over the moon.

I recommend you dont buy anything less than that (like the 720p one suggested) or you will always wish you bought better!

That is a good kit, I have 4 channel with came with 2 cameras which is obviously cheaper to buy, I then added a 3 rd camera at later date.

I started with crappy 700TVL, then 720P and now the 1080P which is very good quality. Do NOT buy anything under 1080P its wasting time and money!

I have a 4 camera Yale system. Very good quality for day and night vision. Very easy to install and can be viewed live on my phone/tablet via their app (can also record or take screen shots directly into phone gallery). Has a large hard drive and also stores all recordings online in case the hard drive is stolen/damaged. Images can also be viewed live via a dedicated website. I have a spare laptop dedicated to this, so I use it like a mobile monitor, rather than viewing via our main TV, which it is also connected to.

Can set it up for motion sensor recordings, timed or constant too. All in all a quality piece of kit, which I got at a very good price from Homebase on one of their special discount days! Basically got it cheaper then the same spec 2 camera system. Has 960H resolution, which I don't really understand, but it's clear! Lol

Swann ip camera here that notified me last year when some scruff tried to break into my shed to take my motorbike
It can be viewed by a app on my iPhone or pc/mac , you get a minimal amount of storage on the free " service plan " , it has day and night modes and also records sound

https://youtu.be/bH_RcwG5URk

Swann ip camera here that notified me last year when some scruff tried to break into my shed to take my motorbike
It can be viewed by a app on my iPhone or pc/mac , you get a minimal amount of storage on the free " service plan " , it has day and night modes and also records sound

https://youtu.be/bH_RcwG5URk

So what was the net benefit?

The camera doesn't show the perp. The camera didn't deter them. And it didn't stop them.

I may sound cynical but people often don't think through the actual cost benefit of these systems. (Conversely if something acts as a deterrent you may not actually have much *apparent* benefit because you don't actually have any records of its success).

I would add that cameras have uses - but I suspect many customers for these systems don't think through the tangible benefits. In some cases people add camera systems without thinking through what they are gaining - rather than thinking about alternatives such as upgrading their alarm system or strengthening doors.

I agree. I've never been burgled, but my property looks secure. I have a decent alarm and overt CCTV.

Far too many people wait until they're burgled before looking at upgrading their security.

I can only assume that my security precautions have worked, but who actually knows? Maybe I still wouldn't have been burgled even without the added security?

I can only assume that my security precautions have worked, but who actually knows? Maybe I still wouldn't have been burgled even without the added security?

There's a proportion of perps who are just stupid. So even a visible functioning deterrent won't put them off trying. They're the sort that will have a go - do some damage - and scarper the moment the blatantly visible alarm system goes off.

And you're unlikely to know how many take a discrete look and decide to try elsewhere. So an effective system that deters isn't obviously effective - unless perhaps you have a few near identical houses and only some are frequently targeted.

Gaz-M said:
Yes thats the one. I say buy that you will be over the moon. I recommend you dont buy anything less than that (like the 720p one suggested) or you will always wish you bought better! That is a good kit, I have 4 channel with came with 2 cameras which is obviously cheaper to buy, I then added a 3 rd camera at later date. I started with crappy 700TVL, then 720P and now the 1080P which is very good quality. Do NOT buy anything under 1080P its wasting time and money! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Gaz-what are your thoughts on thethree below. The last being 4m pixels, and power over Ethernet

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swd...as/7862p#product_additional_details_container

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-dvr8-4750-8-channel-2tb-cctv-kit-with-4-cameras-a71wg

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-nvr8-7400-8-channel-2tb-cctv-kit-with-4-cameras-a96wg

Again, I agree.

No one will ever know why they have or haven't been burgled, you can only ever take an educated guess.

But speaking as someone who attends, sometimes 4 or 5 burglaries a day, I like to think that my not being the victim of such a crime is a little more than coincidence.

Take a look at the Homemonitor Y-Cam system (I have 8, 4 of which are working in Spain)
It's a free 7 day cloud based system so no SD cards to troll through or you can pay for more storage time if needed.
You set two seperate zones within the field of view to trigger and record if movement is detected. The sensitivity of the movements are adjustable also.
You can have notifications to your phone, email or both when it's triggered.
They are always recording so any footage you see includes a 10 second clip of what occurred just prior to it being triggered
It's PoE (which is best) or wifi
Nice and discrete
Infra-red night vision, HD quality and sound
I have between 600-1200 recordings per day so no limit to the storage.
Good phone or iPad app to view / use
All that for a one off cost of approx £200 for the external system or £150 internal.
The only thing I want that they don't offer is a motorised camera so I've got myself another make to take out to Spain (Sumpple 610) which will run along side the others

And no I don't work for Y-Cam

We live in a rural location in a detached property that sits in it's own land set back from (but visible) from the road. Over the years we have had a few minor "petty" thefts from our garden, but no burglaries. There is some evidence in the locale to suggest that where CCTV has been visibly installed, it is these houses that then fall victim to burglary. The thinking being that the burglars are working under the assumption that you have something worth protecting. I accept that this is an inverse phycology? But it does make me wonder. Recently I have started to think more about home security and did have a few quotes for CCTV. Interestingly, the chap who seemed the most attentive and helpful came down heavily on the alarm side of the business. He stated that CCTV (in his opinion) on it's own is a "poor" deterrent?

Has anybody got any support information on this?

So what was the net benefit?

The camera doesn't show the perp. The camera didn't deter them. And it didn't stop them.

The "net benefit" was I got alerted straight away switched light on fumbled about and maybe scared him off ? , he didn't set the shed alarm off because he didn't gain full access so without that camera I wouldn't of known about the attempted break in until the next time I came to use my bike ( that could be weeks in this weather )
The house is covered by 4 fixed cameras one being a pan/tilt dome camera which constantly sweeps across the driveway and is very visible
I find the ip camera a very valuable part of my security

I bought an 8 CH for my hobby shop and quickly threw away all the cameras that came with them as they did not offer decent night vision (not enough LED's) and did not have a wide enough angle.

The new cameras are much better. I plan on buying a couple of old Sony Hyber HAD cameras with telephoto lenses so that I can see my front gate from a 100ft or so.

If I was to do it again, I would not buy a package deal but instead buy the DVR and cameras separately so that I can pick and choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom