any cheap device to measure average speed of car just like police speed gun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dinoy

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes of course
is their device that measure the average speed of cars on the road.

basically a DIY device to measure average speed of cars. which cheap to buy local resident committee

or some how getting police to measure such speeds if it can be done

any help/ideas appreciated as we have many people driving over 20mph street speed limit

CCTV? You can use a camera to cover a street whose length is known and then time how long does it take for each of the vehicle to get from one side to another.

A bit crude, but I can't think of any 'cheap' device.

20mph limits are voluntary.

We've just had the bumf around from the council as they are thinking of making a road near me 20mph , and there is a paragraph that says in it that ' it relys on drivers sticking to the 20mph limit voluntarily as it is not a legal requirement to do so ' or words to that effect.

Lots of aftermarket speed guns out there for purchase on ebay- from cheap and cheerful to expensive from the states.
radar_gun.jpg

Not sure how you stand wrt permitted broadcast frequency regulations though.:dk:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bushnell-...rg=20140407115239&rk=2&rkt=20&sd=251636634532

Last edited:
Are we talking constant monitoring, or periodical, e.g. with somebody on site?

If you have an issue with excessive speed, speak to the local council and/or local police. They will (might!) install monitoring equipment or carry out enforcement action if you convince them that there is a perceived problem.

Many police forces operate "community speedwatch" schemes whereby members of the public are trained to use speed guns which they are then loaned together with hi-viz kit, etc. However, I'd be minded to think twice about pointing something that looks like a gun at passing cars in many parts of London :crazy:

Personally, I'd avoid the DIY approach, and try to persuade the authorities to carry out speed monitoring as this is much less likely to result in conflict and will also result in enforcement action if the survey shows that there's a problem.

The calculation of average speed requires a known distance and a time measurement.

I don't believe you would would be permitted to use CCTV for this- permission needed because you would setting out to monitor traffic rather than catching it as a by product of monitoring personal property. There is also the issue of the camera perspective, not to mention fact that their recording frame rate varies (usually between 1.4 to 2.4 fps range).

Realistically, measure a distance between two drain covers or road markings or road repairs so when the vehicle passes over, you start/stop a stopwatch. A cheaply bought speed gun measures speed at a given moment. However, residents who have used speed guns before quite often find themselves in confrontational situations.

Not true.

Many police forces don't carry out enforcement action in 20mph limits as, frankly, they have higher priorities elsewhere but if the limits are enacted through an appropriate TRO and properly signed then they are enforceable and you will be subject to sanction if caught exceeding the limit.

Depending on the width of the road, some careful parking of residents cars to create a slalom or pinch points may have the desired effect.

Depending on the width of the road, some careful parking of residents cars to create a slalom or pinch points may have the desired effect.

Untill everyone on the road has their wing mirror smashed off, or a kid gets run over because a car driver couldn't see them about to cross the road from behind the big people carrier blocking half the road off.

You can get software that utilises a webcam. The software can be set to measure time of flight between two pre-measured points that are then transferred via witchcraft to the the screen. More devilry automatically activates the timers and recording when a car passes through the field of view.

the problem as follows we have vibrations in the road due to buses driving around 30-40 mph.

we been to the council they refuse to dig up the road and put heavier sub-base from 5cms to 20cm for HGV highways std

they are suggesting 20mph speed limit but will not install fine camera on the road, we want to measure for a period of time speeds the buses pass a location to provide statistics.

if we can be trained by the police and use their equipement will be perfect solution as we do not need to buy any equipment as they are expensive i thought if i can get something sub £30 the residents can invest on one and take measurements

or where we can rent such device or buy and return el la argos with no questions asked ;-)

Last edited:

We've just had the bumf around from the council as they are thinking of making a road near me 20mph , and there is a paragraph that says in it that ' it relys on drivers sticking to the 20mph limit voluntarily as it is not a legal requirement to do so ' or words to that effect.

Half of Cambridge has now been made 20 zone, and exceeding it will result in fines in line with all over limits.

Because there is no safety issue involved but rather an environmental/quality of life issue [ not trying to minimise this- just being realistic ] I doubt the police would prioritise this. That webcam software looks to be a cheap useful option but might be dismissed summarily by an unco-operative council on the grounds of being an uncalibrated measurement?? You need to get a local councillor on your side to fight your case.

Get a piece of string and mark it every metre. Tie a hook on the end of the string and throw it so it catches the car bumper. Then use a stop watch too time how fast it spools it. The string is not re-usable so you may need lots of it and hooks also.

Any speed detector you do use will also not be calibrated and will be useful as a guide to the speed only. Also, bear in mind unless you are taking the readings from directly in front / behind that the readings will differ from true.

the problem as follows we have vibrations in the road due to buses driving around 30-40 mph.

we been to the council they refuse to dig up the road and put heavier sub-base from 5cms to 20cm for HGV highways std

they are suggesting 20mph speed limit but will not install fine camera on the road, we want to measure for a period of time speeds the buses pass a location to provide statistics.
The police may be interested if the current speed limit is 30mph and buses are routinely ignoring it, but otherwise I doubt it. The only way you'll find out is to make a complaint to the police about speeding buses (if they are indeed speeding) and ask them to take enforcement action.

As grober said, you need to get a local councillor on your side to take it up as an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom