Any Circuit Board Guru's on the board ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Alright Good People,

Im retrofitting steering wheel controls on my W208 but I cant be bothered with all that adding can bus and changing clusters etc etc.

I have a aftermarket radio with steering wheel controls capability. I have a converter to use Ford (non canbus) steering wheel controls and the circuit board from a ford steering wheel with controls. I have identified that each function on the ford circuit board can be controlled by a external microswitch. I have soldered on a simple 2 wire circuit to each part on the board.

So ive stripped down a facelift set w208 steering wheel switches and need to know if there is anyway to use the original microswitches and circuit board to send a simple on/off signal ? I only need to use 2 microswitches from each switch - Volume up / down on one and track up / down on the other ???

IMG_20150822_131050046_HDR_zpssntyon0f.jpg

IMG_20150822_131103529_HDR_zps6l0muail.jpg

Or would it just be easier to dump the circuit boards and mount 4 new microswitches on some board and trim to fit the original switches ?

Any thoughts ?

Brett

Think you might be better going to Maplin and getting some blank boards mate. You can get tracked or in-tracked. For a simple job like this tracked would be easy enough, you just scratch off the tracks you don't need/want.
:)

Surely that is exactly what those switches do?
If that is right, I would just disconnect them, and solder wires directly onto the solder pads to achieve the function you need.
Good luck! It looks fun :)

How do you intend to run the number of cables from your 4 switches through the wheel and back to your HU? The current slip ring will not cater for that number. Minimum of 5 wires for your setup.

The current switches have a different resistance when activated.

How do you intend to run the number of cables from your 4 switches through the wheel and back to your HU? The current slip ring will not cater for that number. Minimum of 5 wires for your setup.

The current switches have a different resistance when activated.

Haven't got that far yet was hoping just to be able to run 2 bits if 4 core down the centre of the column with some slack to account for the wheel movement !!!

Instead of running wires which will be difficult at best you should consider the following method.

This method has been used to send a signal from A - B without wiring in-between. And it'll fit inside your steering wheel. The thread I m referring to is linked below http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/125857-w210-e55-paddle-shift-mod-2.html

The guide shows how a signal from steering wheel could be sent to gearbox selector without wiring inbetween them. The module can be bought on eBay for approx £5.

HTH.

poormansporsche said:
Thanks for that. That's deffo the way to go.

So I will order something like this

12V 4CH 200M Wireless Remote Control Relay Switch 2 Transceiver + 1 Receiver | eBay

Break open the remote, hard wire direct from the original micro switches to the remote switches, hard wire the receiver to the ford steering wheel controls. Sorted hopefully. Better learn how to use a multimeter !!!

That's great, glad to help. Also in the original guide the transmitter/receiver used in the steering wheel paddle mod a "momentary switch/relay" was used. I have no idea if that makes any difference but thought I'd just let you know incase.

Like this unit : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151683986561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom