Any current W211 E500 owners ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 E500, CL500
I am considering a basic W211 E500 to run as a daily driver.

Does any member have this particular model ? :dk:

I am not interested in E55/AMG or later models for my purpose. :thumb:

I ran a 2005 one from 2010 till I sold it to Biglips a couple of months ago.

There are lots of posts about it and I can try to dig some out but basically it was pretty reliable over the 7 years.

I took it from 95k to 147k IIRC and in terms of unexpected faults it had

- 1 x Airmatic compressor
- 1 x electric boot lock
- 1 x crank pulley
- 1 x fix to loom in folding mirror.

It consumed a few batteries and ball joints but other than that it was pretty straightforward in my hands.

You need to budget in changes to the gearbox oil (I think the guidance on the newer ones is 35k/3 years) and it if needs plugs there are 16 of them.

If the SBC pump has been changed that's a good thing.

Similarly the Airmatic struts. You can get new or reconditioned units.

Hope that helps.

Aye, currently running an S211 E500

I've run an S211 E500 as my family car for the last three years.

It's for sale - but relax, I know you're probably looking for something cheaper. No problem:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/cla...0-estate-74k-miles-9-main-dealer-history.html

I have no hesitation in recommending them if you're looking for a comfortable, commodious, luxury family car, providing that you make sure that they have been properly maintained.

Why? Because at £60k they were always an expensive purchase by well heeled, over-50 types who could afford to run them (not Volvo types) and who weren't likely to do stupid things to them (BMW drivers - I'm talking about you here).

Look for condition, and service history - not just oil changes - the whole caboodle when required: fluids, filters, yada yada.

Expect 25mpg as a normal annual mpg.

The V8 engine will be good for 200,000+ miles. Why? Because the lazy V8 twiddles its thumbs as it gets driven around the UK and wonders when it will ever be asked to do some serious work. The seven speed gearbox is well proven, and only has rare, but repairable glitches.

Are diesels cheaper? I'm not sure that they are. Although the headline mpg is better - if, if you're a high mileage driver, there are lots of costs attached to maintaining diesels which simply don't happen to petrol engines.

Is airmatic a problem? Hasn't been a problem on mine, but it's clear that some owners pay out some money to fettle the suspension as it gets older - applies to all the big Mercs. Having owned Mercedes with ABC and Airmatic, I would always choose an Airmatic or ABC car because the ride is so much better. My current SL350 doesn't ride anywhere near as well as my previous SL500 with ABC.

Main reasons NOT to buy them? They're long, and certainly bigger than a C350 (if you could find one). They're a higher insurance group, which rules them out for the under 30's. They're not as modern as an S212 (but they're half the price). And they're silver or black, which is monotonous.

There are three or four estates on Autotrader and Ebay at the moment for around £5k for 130k miles.

Why am I selling mine? Partly because of mileage (I normally run cars up until they've done 60k miles), and partly because I wanted one more luxurious W221 instead of an E500 and SL, now that CostCentres 1 and 2 have left home. But I'm certain I'll buy an S212 E500 in a few years time, when I'm bored with the W221.

Happy to answer any more specific questions.

Last edited:
But the big advantage of a silver E500

Even when it's filthy, as it is this morning, after 1,000 miles of midge suicides and sahara dust, Brilliant Silver still looks great. in a way that Obsidian black can never hope to copy:

mikeinwimbledon-albums-s211-e500-2004-picture10742-e500-moulin.jpg

Thanks very much for the detailed reply & I appreciate the advice.
I have seen your posts/advert regarding your car but sadly do not want an estate.

I ran a 2005 one from 2010 till I sold it to Biglips a couple of months ago.

There are lots of posts about it and I can try to dig some out but basically it was pretty reliable over the 7 years.

I took it from 95k to 147k IIRC and in terms of unexpected faults it had

- 1 x Airmatic compressor
- 1 x electric boot lock
- 1 x crank pulley
- 1 x fix to loom in folding mirror.

It consumed a few batteries and ball joints but other than that it was pretty straightforward in my hands.

You need to budget in changes to the gearbox oil (I think the guidance on the newer ones is 35k/3 years) and it if needs plugs there are 16 of them.

If the SBC pump has been changed that's a good thing.

Similarly the Airmatic struts. You can get new or reconditioned units.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, that is very helpful.
I appreciate that Airmatic can give problems & found Servicing Mercedes-Benz AIRMATIC Suspensions helpful.Your experience with it
is encouraging when compared to some reports here.

Was there a specific reason for the battery consumption ? I assume there are the usual two for the W211.

MikeInWimbledon said:
Even when it's filthy, as it is this morning, after 1,000 miles of midge suicides and sahara dust, Brilliant Silver still looks great. in a way that Obsidian black can never hope to copy:

Not the windmill on the common then?

It's for sale - but relax, I know you're probably looking for something cheaper. No problem:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/cla...0-estate-74k-miles-9-main-dealer-history.html

I have no hesitation in recommending them if you're looking for a comfortable, commodious, luxury family car, providing that you make sure that they have been properly maintained.

Why? Because at £60k they were always an expensive purchase by well heeled, over-50 types who could afford to run them (not Volvo types) and who weren't likely to do stupid things to them (BMW drivers - I'm talking about you here).

Look for condition, and service history - not just oil changes - the whole caboodle when required: fluids, filters, yada yada.

The V8 engine will be good for 200,000+ miles. Why? Because the lazy V8 twiddles its thumbs as it gets driven around the UK and wonders when it will ever be asked to do some serious work. The seven speed gearbox is well proven, and only has rare, but repairable glitches.

Are diesels cheaper? I'm not sure that they are. Although the headline mpg is better - if, if you're a high mileage driver, there are lots of costs attached to maintaining diesels which simply don't happen to petrol engines.

Is airmatic a problem? Hasn't been a problem on mine, but it's clear that some owners pay out some money to fettle the suspension as it gets older - applies to all the big Mercs. Having owned Mercedes with ABC and Airmatic, I would always choose an Airmatic or ABC car because the ride is so much better. My current SL350 doesn't ride anywhere near as well as my previous SL500 with ABC.

Main reasons NOT to buy them? They're long, and certainly bigger than a C350 (if you could find one). They're a higher insurance group, which rules them out for the under 30's. They're not as modern as an S212 (but they're half the price). And they're silver or black, which is monotonous.

There are three or four estates on Autotrader and Ebay at the moment for around £5k for 130k miles.

Why am I selling mine? Partly because of mileage (I normally run cars up until they've done 60k miles), and partly because I wanted one more luxurious W221 instead of an E500 and SL, now that CostCentres 1 and 2 have left home. But I'm certain I'll buy an S212 E500 in a few years time, when I'm bored with the W221.

I have seen your posts/advert regarding your car but sadly do not want an estate. I have a car in mind.

Was there a specific reason for the battery consumption ? I assume there are the usual two for the W211.

From 2010-2013 I had a job in which I never used the car for commuting. It would often sit on the drive all week. Every time you unlock it some systems kick in. When you open the door more start up. And when you stick the key in the ignition even more happens. So the poor battery gets hammered and, in my case, I wasn't taking it any distance. Add in the starter motor and the lights in winter and the battery is up against it.

So it wasn't a fault, just the lack of use.

Over the last 4 years I had a job which involved a 60 mile round trip on average once a week and the battery life improved.

Use it or lose it :)

I guessed as much....

I have seen your posts/advert regarding your car but sadly do not want an estate. I have a car in mind.

I assumed not, but the essence of networking is that "someone may know someone who's interested."

The great thing about the boards is that you can hunt down stories and try to take a view.

Use it or use a battery conditioner

If you ever have to leave a car parked up for a long time again, splash £50 on a modern battery conditioner like the CTEK MXS, which can rejuvenate irregularly used batteries.

It's less hassle, expense and it's ecologic.

As used on R230's, holiday home cars, and classic cars everywhere.

mikeinwimbledon-albums-s211-e500-2004-picture10742-e500-moulin.jpg

That's a wonderful car, just what I love, right at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

This one poses some questions https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-U...1734665&fid=&***id=CJeS1unY8tMCFQi77QodTvkN4g
Especially when checking MOT history ?

Which one, Splitpin?

That link just shows as a long listing of cars.

Did you have a particular car in mind? Its registration number will give us enough to hunt it down.

Sorry, I've skipped through this, but has anyone mentioned corrosion? Exhaust brackets, brake pipes etc.

I've had mine over five years, also an estate, which is a great hack, but not cheap to maintain properly, so check for a good service history. The problem with airmatic is that in can take a few days of non usage for leaks to appear. The n/s/r airspring on mine was leaking, but it would take several days of non usage to drop down, and it's false economy not to replace the pair if you are keeping the car. You can buy reconditioned parts from MB, but it's still an expensive job, which gives you the chance to replace other bits and bobs whilst the subframe is down, such as bushes.

Catch 22 really, but once you've spent a few £k on those kinds of jobs, it's fortunate that they are joy to drive, which is why I'm keeping mine longer than I had planned rather than give it away for the pittance they fetch.

That link just shows as a long listing of cars.

Did you have a particular car in mind? Its registration number will give us enough to hunt it down.

My apologies, I was in a hurry. It is LL04 PNJ ...better link https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-U...Context=usedPaidSearchNoZip#listing=122538370

The MOT site (Beta) is working this morning, it registered the car as unknown yesterday.

I would appreciate comments after examining photos !
The review is not encouraging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom