Any decent Aston Martin Forums?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alabbasi

MB Enthusiast
I'm looking online at Aston Martin forums and they seem to be pretty light weight.
Does anyone know of a decent one where people actually wrench on their cars? Costs are not too dissimilar to AMG cars , yet I know plenty of AMG guys that change water pumps, rebuild suspension and tune.
I find it hard to believe that no AM owner does their own tinkering.

Thanks

Have you tried Piston Heads?

They have dedicated marque specific forums which cover most Aston Martins and the owners don't seem to mind getting their hands dirty.

Try grober, I'll bet he'll point you in directions nobody else will! :)

I'm looking online at Aston Martin forums and they seem to be pretty light weight.
Does anyone know of a decent one where people actually wrench on their cars? Costs are not too dissimilar to AMG cars , yet I know plenty of AMG guys that change water pumps, rebuild suspension and tune.
I find it hard to believe that no AM owner does their own tinkering.

Thanks
Knowing a few Aston owners Al , they say that tinkering with their cars devalues them so they just don't do it.

Whereas an AMG, is not as special as an Aston so , we can tinker away.

Last time I looked on an Aston Martin forum, there were no threads on car servicing.

There were four threads comparing the Walther PPK to the Beretta 418 and seven threads on how to mix the best Vodka Martini.

There's a member on that forum called "B,HB". Is that you, Harry?

I think its just a question of numbers. There are not that many Astons around. Take the percentage of owners who like to " wrench" as a fraction of those and there may simply not be enough active members to keep a DIY oriented forum going. Your best bet is to probably join the AMOC North America https://www.amocna.org/register or at least enquire there. If there are any kindred DIY souls they should know. However I suspect you may be entering territory where the majority of owners leave repairs and servicing to the professionals? Might also help to specify which model you are interested in? There was a period [ DB7 -DB9] where much of the running gear was shared with Jaguar for example.
There are some excellent introductory texts by R M CLARK in the GOLD PORTFOLIO SERIES but workshop manuals they aint!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ston+martin+gold+portfolio&tag=amazon0e9db-21

5194TSYXZ3L.jpg

5187Z6SPVNL.jpg

I think its just a question of numbers.

Thanks, I appreciate your response and everyone else. I just bought a 2007 V8 Vantage with a 6 speed. As it's only covered 15,000 miles in 10 years, I'm guessing that owners avoid repairs by not driving them.

I'm hoping that parts and service wise, it's a Jaguar in drag.

Congratulations on your purchase. Keep us informed, its nice to know how the other half live. :)

By this time -- post 2004 I think the cars were pretty much Aston Martin 100% with the engines being manufactured in a Ford Engine plant in Germany - a distant relation to the Jaguar AJ V8 engine but no longer lifted directly from the Jaguar production line so to speak . Pretty much a hand built car again like the old days. Possibly lots of shared smaller parts from the Ford Stable but knowing what they are is a different matter!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Vantage_(2005)

Have you tried Piston Heads?

They have dedicated marque specific forums which cover most Aston Martins and the owners don't seem to mind getting their hands dirty.

Quite an active forum over there. Post as a newbie, stating that you are a company Director, live in a big detached mansion with a quadruple garage, earn a 7 fig salary, have a stable of cars and a few horses, and you should fit in well ;)

Like the Reliant Scimitar shared door handles with the Morris Marina. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enema. :D

The thing that seemed to plague these cars iirc were clutch problems. In particular the automatic version [ SPORTRONIC??] which was basically a automated clutch system strapped on to a manual box. OK when on the open road where most drivers changed gear by paddle shifters, slow trundling along in traffic was evidently somewhat problematic .
Here is a video of a similar AM Vanquish system going through a test cycle- dont know if this is the same as the early Vantage system but I expect it would be similar.:dk:

[YOUTUBE HD]q6tbnAMEEg8[/YOUTUBE HD]

The thing that seemed to plague these cars iirc were clutch problems. In particular the automatic version [ SPORTRONIC??] which was basically a automated clutch system strapped on to a manual box. OK when on the open road where most drivers changed gear by paddle shifters, slow trundling along in traffic was evidently somewhat problematic .
Here is a video of a similar AM Vanquish system going through a test cycle- dont know if this is the same as the early Vantage system but I expect it would be similar.:dk: We used to have some Aston owners on the forum perhaps they could comment?

[YOUTUBE HD]q6tbnAMEEg8[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom