Any experts on Lithium-Ion batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I now have 2 Black & Decker garden power tools that use the same 36V 2AH battery. However, I have a battery for each of them.

So, my question is: should I just use the one battery, sharing it between tools until it gives up and then use the other one which I would not previously have used at all. Or should I use them both equally?

I ask because these batteries are around £70 each, so I'd want to get as much time out of them as possible.

Thanks Graeme, I'll need to study that!

I'd just use them somewhat equally. - I specifically bought tools with interchangeable batteries, but LiIon batteries aren't like NiCd; they hold their charge for ages, even when not in use.

At the moment I pick up the tool and start using it, then if it gets a bit low, swap that battery in to the charger and put another (charged) on in.

Generally speaking, most batteries of this type will last around 2 years, whether used or not. Any longer than 2 years, I always treat as a bonus. If you use one of your two batteries and put the other on the shelf, they'll both be near the end of their lives after 2 years. I'd put both into service and try to use them roughly equally.

I'd just use them somewhat equally. - I specifically bought tools with interchangeable batteries, but LiIon batteries aren't like NiCd; they hold their charge for ages, even when not in use.

At the moment I pick up the tool and start using it, then if it gets a bit low, swap that battery in to the charger and put another (charged) on in.

As above these new style batteries have no memory fade and so charging them at any stage will not be detriment to their life. (Old NiCd batteries life was reduced somewhat if you popped in on charge before it was run down) the LiIon batteries can be charged as and when you want without effecting performance or life.

Do as you wish with them.

Thanks folks, that's what I'm going to do, ie pick up the tool and start using it, then if it gets a bit low, swap that battery in to the charger and put another (charged) on in.

Edit: now I've got my answer, how do I close this thread?

I have Makita cordless tools with 18v batteries. One particular tool (circular saw) drains batteries heavily and the batteries get hot. Even letting them cool, they sometimes "fail" on trying to recharge. I've returned them to Makita and each time (about 6 times over the last few years) Makita have replaced them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom