Any high end Hi-Fi lovers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
I was browsing through Youtube and came across this channel.. I had no idea Pioneer, JBL, Manfrotto and Technics did speakers like these. I don't know if they are originals or just made up, but they look like something from a different planet!

Check out the chaps channel:

hosoken007's Channel - YouTube

A pal of mine was pleased to have bought a reconditioned cartridge for his Linn turntable.............

£800 :eek:.

Reconditioned needle for LPs :eek::eek::eek:

I seem to remember that there was a pair of commercially available speakers that cost £34,000. This was about 15 years ago.

I used to consider myself an audiphile. I still have a few thousand pounds worth of kit up in the loft, but it's too much of a faff to sort out and I'd never find the time to listen to it properly.

Practicalilty wins over quality for me.

They appear to playing tracks of a smart phone, which surely will be mp3.

My stuff is Linn. But with Rega turntable. Don't use it much anymore.

My stuff is Linn. But with Rega turntable. Don't use it much anymore.

Yes, I have a Rega Planar 3 up in the loft, it was the one with the glass turntable. Linn K9 cartridge, one of the cheaper ones in the range, but I really couldn't hear any significant quality increase with more expensive ones.

Yes, it's a late model Planar 3 with the solid mount motor rather than the rubber band mount. At one time I was quite into modifying things. I rewired the RB300 arm and added a VTA mount with a close coupled Mitchel weight. But, the RB250 is a better arm when the weight has been changed to one from Mitchell or Origin Live.

The Linn Sondek was something I would have liked at one time, but set up is crucial with that deck and would have been difficult to achieve perfection...and it was and remains a very expensive piece of kit.

These comments take me back to the 1970's when everyone was discussing equipment, listening to the actual music seemd to be secondary, I guess nothings changed :D

yep - I needed to find a way to express my inner geek, the rega, naim, and castle kit in the lounge get less use than some £12 speakers on the pc.

it was a boy thing, like comics but not as naff.

I still use my Audio Linear turntable regularly. It is black glass with a linear platter that is pulled around by its own counter weights in the platter. The tiny 12v motor starts it spinning then on it goes. Oh and I still have my JBL studio monitor speakers all driven by a Luxman amplifier.

Someone once said that in a Hi Fi system the most important thing is the transducer that changes the sound into electrical impulses and the transducer that converts it back into sound. Everything else is just manipulating electrons. On that basis speakers are fundamental to a good sound. If you want good speakers at a "reasonable " price you are best building them yourself. This company supplies kits for all ranges and I can recommend them without hesitation even if you were to employ a good craftsman to assemble the enclosure kit for you. You will still end up with a superior product IPL ACOUSTICS HIGH QUALITY SPEAKER KITS

"Crap in, crap out"

Speakers will definitely have a huge effect on the sound you hear but feed them using a poorly matched amp (can't handle the impedance, low on power, clipping etc..) and a poorly spec'd source and even the very best of speakers will struggle.

How one defines 'poorly matched', 'poorly spec'd' etc.. is a debate that rages on.

Basically, if it sounds good to YOU then that's the right system for you! ;)

High end hifi is a con, also a bit of a waste if you're over 25 as your hearing degrades big time..

especially if you spend the first 25 years of your life listening to "high end Hi-Fi"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom