Any members with motorbikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alymac

Car
W213 E220 AMG Line Saloon Premium+
Evening all, apologies in advance if this has been done before on the forum but i just wondered if any fellow members own a motorbike and what they have, reason i ask is i'm contemplating buying another bike and was keen to hear owners views on theirs before/if i take the plunge, my previous bike was a 2005 kawasaki zx6-r ninja, it was my first bike after passing my test, i absolutely loved it but had to sell it to fund number 1 sons first car & since doing that there has been one thing or another which has delayed any replacement, i'm now getting quite an itch to have another and since quite a few years have passed since my last one i wondered what opinions were on what to think about/avoid etc........

Many thanks for any opinions etc :thumb:

Loads of newer generation machines available from the main manufacturers , no need to get a race rep for the performance / braking and handling.

What sort of budget were you thinking about and what style do you like ?

Kenny

Thanks for the quick reply Kenny,

I haven't really set a budget to be honest although any purchase would have to be explained to the Mrs :D :D so i'd prefer to be able to ride it instead of getting a kick in the nuts for spending too much :D

I loved everything about the ninja, it was after seeing one of them that i decided i was going to get my licence, possibly the only drawback was that i'm quite a big guy so i could see sitting over the tank all the time maybe becoming an issue if i was to ride for prolonged periods of time, in terms of ability then i never even got anywhere close to the bikes line ( but my own once or twice :D )

I do love the styling of the super sports bikes, i've been drawn by a candy blue 2009 zx6-r that i've seen online at just a touch over 4k, my fear though is has it become too hardcore for me particularly after all the years that have passed since i owned mine, nearly 9 years ago, would something more neutral suit me now i'm slightly older and i also expected that when you get to in and around 4-5k there must be a host of various bikes to pick from, in saying that i still think under 1000cc for me mainly due to the weight of the bike and my ability as a rider ?

Thanks again :thumb:

I don't do road bikes any more due to the danger(I feel off off road!) although I do ride on the road on trail bikes, I currently have.
VESPA lx50 for the shop run and country lanes in summer(my sons old bike)
BMW GS650F which is an old trail bike which is up at work(hundreds of miles from home)
Yamaha xt600 tenere, a running project bije
Honda crf450x, Enduro which I fell off and didn't bounce to well!

I'm currently looking at a project gl1800 goldwing as I had a 1500 wing before.

I like bikes but find today's modern road bikes, be it full on race or sit up and beg bikes, all to fast and dangerous(I do ride like a loon!) and other road users too.

You can't beat a bike though, I've just been out on the vespa 50cc in the sun.... Beats the SL hands down for pleasure.

<----------- Yep, one for touring and one for local sunny days (quite rare these days). Lots of different styles, it depends what you like really

I always found the modern race-reps way too cramped for someone my size and too committed unless i was in the mood and not going too far.

No point buying a tourer unless you are planning just that or will be commuting a distance each day.

Big trail bikes are also good for the above but not much real off roading due to their weight and expense when it falls over.

Cruisers are a bit Marmite and i havent quite got into the HD scene.

Retro machines are nice with their big lazy motors with loads of grunt to haul you along without bouncing motor off the limiter , they are all large in stature which suits the bigger rider and some can hustle along with the best of them. ZRX / XJR / Bandit / CB1300 are all worth a look and well within your budget for a nice one. The CB is a stunning looking machine and has fuel injection which is a plus if it will be getting stored over the cold months.

At the moment i have ZRX x 2 and a ZX12r which is a nice "sports" machine without being compact which will suit a rider that isn`t.

ZRX 1

bike1.jpg

ZRX 2

20160423_1754111_zpsqmqssxjf.jpg

ZX12r

006_zps34d358c0.jpg

Kenny

I've had motorbikes since the 60's and as the old cliche goes it's in your blood.
Currently have bought a new Harley Davidson Low Rider S, never thought I'd buy another Harley as I used to race mine down the Long Marston Drag strip in the mid to late 80's and when my local copper bought one I decided to sell mine. This bike tips a wink to the ill fated Cafe racer of the 70's and is a great bike.
I am very much an old bike type of rider as doing 50-60 on old bikes with an open face helmet taking in the sights and smells of the countryside does it for me.

Thanks for the replies folks :thumb:

It's funny that you mentioned it Kenny because I had said for a long time if I was ever to buy another bike, it would be a bandit or the like. I think it kind if made me think of when I was learning on the old cbf500, a very upright and relaxing ride where you actually enjoyed the sights and smells as birma said, when I had the ninja it was huddle over the tank on the throttle most of the time, you never really got to enjoy the ride cause you were concentrating so much :D:D

I like the look of your green zrx, thats a tidy looking machine, and your zx12r is just :cool::cool: but I think I'd be pretty scared of that to be honest, Im not sure why but i love the way the sports bikes look, maybe I'm past that stage and should be looking at things like the bandit :wallbash::crazy:

Thanks again :thumb:

I've always had bikes, up to 5 at one time but now only have my Harley 883R (1200cc) sportster that I bought new in 2002. It's like an old pair of shoes comfortable, reliable and fast enough for me these days.

Alymac look at the Yamaha MT07 as a good compromise, read the reviews and you will understand why I recommend it.

Last edited:
...I am very much an old bike type of rider as doing 50-60 on old bikes with an open face helmet taking in the sights and smells of the countryside does it for me.

That's my kind of riding too. I did the fast thing 40 odd years ago. Currently ride a 79 BMW.

I like classic bikes or if it had to be a new one it would need to be a retro like a Triumph or Guzzi V7. One must have requirement for me is a seat that approximates to horizontal which rules out virtually every modern bike where silly childish styling takes priority over practicality. The Mrs is not remotely interested in being perched up a foot higher than me, in fact she wouldn't even be able to get up there.

Mine and the old mans bike. Sold them both this year but we both regret it. He bought a smaller bike 2 months later as he's 74 but I think he will go back to the rocket.

I'm done with sports bikes now and intend on buying a rocket 3 late this year.

If you want a sports bike I had a bmw 1000rr and I can say hands down it's better than most.

I fancy a Ducati diavel next... amazing looking bike but I don't want to spend £15k on a bike at the moment.

Attachments

• image-1205019996.jpg
    image-1205019996.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 9
Personally I find the rocket a great bike but it's no sports bike

Attachments

• image-3080969392.jpg
    image-3080969392.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 9
Chandelierman said:
I ride this ...:) can't do sports bikes anymore ...too old

An odd exhaust system you've got there... what is it?

I used my old mans rocket for most of last summer and was won over by it... I never rode my r1, I'm 25 I just prefer the muscle bikes.

I see you're going for the street fighter look... looks mean!

I am on my 4th Rocket ...I have a love hate relationship with them ..... I am happy with how my one is now .....:thumb:

An odd exhaust system you've got there... what is it?

I used my old mans rocket for most of last summer and was won over by it... I never rode my r1, I'm 25 I just prefer the muscle bikes.

I see you're going for the street fighter look... looks mean!

Standard Rockets are ****e ..... the suspension is crap.... I've just had my forks rebuilt by Maxton and I have progressive 440's on the back ....the stock bars make for an interesting ride so I binned them and fitted stainless steel T Bars .... I have a special body kit which I had made in Japan of which there is only 1 other in the country......the exhaust is made by Reband and comes from Australia (the MOT man don't like it) ....I've made a baffle to go in it so I can get it mot'd next Tuesday

Chandelierman said:
Standard Rockets are ****e ..... the suspension is crap.... I've just had my forks rebuilt by Maxton and I have progressive 440's on the back ....the stock bars make for an interesting ride so I binned them and fitted stainless steel T Bars .... I have a special body kit which I had made in Japan of which there is only 1 other in the country......the exhaust is made by Reband and comes from Australia (the MOT man don't like it) ....I've made a baffle to go in it so I can get it mot'd next Tuesday

Interesting set up... I found the suspension soft but didn't mind it due to the fact I was riding it to slow myself down in general riding. I'm not a very good rider anyway to be honest so it suited me.

It certainly looks different to other rockets. The old mans was straight through cat and pipes so sounded good. The standard exhaust was horrendously boring and quiet.

Here are a few of my old bikes I've had in the past. First off a Hughie Hancox fully restored Triumph T100.
SAM_0236.jpg

Then my Thruxtonised Veleocete Clubman
T2eC16hw4FIUvwbPBSQtelkh9Q60_57.jpg

Then there is my Honda Rune a bit of a Marmite bike cost Honda USA $120,000 each to make only a dozen or so in the country.
DSC00175.jpg

All the above are now sold as the wife did moan about having too many cars and bikes so this is the only bike I have now. It's a brand new Harley Davidson Low Rider S. It tips a wink to the ill fated XLCR of the seventies which I loved but couldn't afford.
IMG_0197.jpg

This is me at one of the 100 or so trips down the dragstrip and one of my fairly respectable quarter mile tickets. This is what Harleys are at home doing
DSC00171.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Last edited:
I have and occasionally get to ride my repsol Honda fireblade RR-D. Came from the CBR 600 to the GSXR 600 (which I couldn't get on with) and 2 years ago bought my dream machine, the blade!
Love everything about it :)

Honda Rune.
A definite 'small willy & look at me bike' if I ever saw one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom