Any recommendations for exterior wood finish/woodstain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Hi Gang,

Looking to refinish some wood cladding on a small part of the house outside.

It's pine T&G which has been stained in dark woodstain - Sadolins type finish.

I did refinish it a few years back in the original colour but was never too keen on it - a bit too glossy and reddish-brown which on a large area never looked very good IMHO.

Ideally looking for something a bit more muted - satin finish and perhaps more of a dark grey-brown (not quite slate but that kind of shade)

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm stripping it back to bare wood this time so have a blank canvas. Has to be some kind of brown/wood finish shade as there is a covenant in place but to be fair the range of colours I can see along ours is from ebony to almost a terracotta shade so I should be okay as long as it matches tonally.

Our driveway is a graphite/light grey granite type colour so ideally something that would complement that and be in keeping with the rest of our house.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Will

Well it's in a Teak finish Sadolins at the moment, but I'd prefer something with less of a reddish-brown hue and also less glossy.

Ideally a satin finish, semi translucent (ie not 'paint' - some grain/wood character showing through)

Colour wise I'm sort of after something in between what I currently have (ie dark wood, teak/brown) and the sort of slatey-grey colours you see on contemporary builds, modern window frame and garden furniture etc?

Dark Grey brown, satin finish, semi translucent (!)

Hmm... I was going to suggest Creosote substitute, but that would probably be too dark. As has been suggested, Cuprinol have a nice range. Ultimately, are you wanting g to paint or stain the wood? What about a varnish?

A stain is likely to last longer, look better longer than a paint or surface finish.

Cuprinol..Ive used it several times and you get a nice matt finish after drying !

I've used Cuprinol in the past on some garden furniture, but to be honest the product I used was an opaque coating (ie paint type finish) and water based I think? Garden shades or something like that. It seemed okay but nowhere near as hard wearing as proper solvent based woodstains and obviously not at all translucent which I would prefer. I think Dulux (same company) do some proper exterior woodstains etc though :)

Hmm... I was going to suggest Creosote substitute, but that would probably be too dark. As has been suggested, Cuprinol have a nice range. Ultimately, are you wanting g to paint or stain the wood? What about a varnish?

I think Creosote etc is more for fences and stuff like that? This is pine T&G cladding on the house. As said ideally looking for a satin sheen, semi translucent finish so more of a woodstain type product than a paint.

A stain is likely to last longer, look better longer than a paint or surface finish.

I agree. A few of the houses nearby have used an opaque coating (on a poorly prepped surface) and it doesn't look right. As it's proper wood I think a stain suits it better. At least you get some grain/character showing through. If it was being coated in a paint then I might as well have replaced the boards with a UPVC/composite type material.

How about Ronseal? Smoked Walnut?

5 Year Wood Stain | Ronseal

Funny enough, that's exactly what I was just looking at.

I will see if I can get a tester - because as always they don't always come out as you expect!

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom