Anybody upgraded from Sony PS3 to PS4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
If so, any comments/observations?

Gaming basically looks good (apart from there not being that many titles yet), but everything else seems to be a step backwards compared to the PS3?

E.g. can't connect to your PC or stream media, can't play media via USB or connect external drives, can't play audio CDs, no DVD/Bluray remote, etc. ?

I've not yet and I probably wont for a while.

I seem to have lost interest in COD these days so don't play it as much (and I am happy with COD MW3 on PS3 when I do).

GTA V only just came out so GTA VI won't be out for a while.

I believe you have to pay for online PSN access now which is bit annoying.

However, I did see a football game being played on one in the Arndale in Manchester and the graphics did look good but nothing like the difference between PS2 and PS3.

They started with lots of stuff in the PS3 and gradually cut things back with subsequent firmware updates. They've continued to dull it down - probably to make more money. E.g. you used to be able to run PS2 games on the PS3 and they ditched that with the second series PS3s - only to find your favourite PS2 titles being sold for the PS3.

Have you yet or are you canvassing opinion?

I did about two months ago.

Promise to write bit more on the matter over the weekend.

Have you yet or are you canvassing opinion?

I haven't yet - canvassing.

I had to replace my original (UK launch day) PS3 shortly before the PS4 came out ... plan was to give the new PS3 to my step son for his 14th birthday in a few weeks time and get a PS4 then.

We use the PS3 a fair bit as a DVD / Bluray player though, and by all accounts that's rather more clunky on the PS4 (plus there's no proper remote). The PS4 didn't have BBC iPlayer (which we use a lot) on launch but that has apparently been added ... not sure about the other on-demand channels though.

Sounds like Sony may fix some of the other omissions (being able to play audio CDs etc.) in firmware releases. But streaming from a network-attached PC (for example) isn't going to happen - that's pretty handy for showing family pictures / video on the TV now.

I suppose I only use it for games.

I like to think I'd watch Blu-Ray but DVDs are usually a lot cheaper and I hardly watch many anyway (and certainly don't buy to keep and watch over - once and charity!).

Interesting to hear (see) your thoughts Cinek...

As promised...

First impressions

The console came nicely packed, which was easily accessible. I have read some adverse comments about XBOX One, where apparently the devices is wrapped in several layers of packaging.

After taking it out of the box, it was very similar to PS3 (latest generation), with the only difference in being slimmer. There are also less ports on the back, these are HDMI, power, AUX, Optical for sound and Ethernet. Front has 2 x USB 3.0, which do make the data transfer noticeably quicker. Also, as previous models, it can be laid flat or stood on its side.

Nice, new addition is the LED illumination across the top of the console when it is on (blue) or in standby (amber). It took me few minutes to work out where the on/off and eject buttons are. There are a miniature icons at the front of the console, which you swipe / touch instead of any physical buttons to press.

After turning the device on, you go through the usual set up and will have to sign in into PSN account to activate additional services (Netflix, Love Films, etc). The device 'wants' you to create Playstation Plus account as well, with your credit card details to allow chargeable content be available at your finger tips.

The device restarts several times during the update, which is normal and be sure not to touch any buttons during the process. When completed, it automatically chooses the highest available resolution and sound quality. The welcome screen loads up in nice 1080i resolution, which straight away looks much nicer compering to PS3.

The menu itself is laid out differently than the one in PS3. It is a double layer menu, with all the settings 'hidden away' from the screen. The entertainment menu shows any games currently installed (obviously none at the first start up). It shows the Playroom icon (sony demo on PS4), Music and Video online, PSN and Web access.
Nearly forgot, you can create multiple users but each will have to be associated with PSN account, which is a bit of a pain.

The settings menu can be accessed by simply clicking 'up' cursor or pushing 'up' leaver. That menu is quite similar to PS3. I am not going to go through each individual function on the menu as I simply dont remember what exactly it is there, and I am not sitting by the console right now.

The controller.

Now, there is a vast improvement over the PS3 one. The more ergonomic design is the first one, where the device sits more comfortable in your hands than the previous one.
It has large illuminated panel on the front of the device, which lights up with different colours. Havent worked out the meaning of each one yet, but blue is for 'on', 'amber' for charging, it also seems that the games can influence the colours, e.g. 'red' for danger.

The controller has the sliding pad (same as it is found on the laptop) located on the top, a mini speaker which doesnt offer the best of quality but it is pretty handy when you dont want to wear headphones but want to have the sound close to your head. Finally, there is a small jack plug at the back of the controller allowing you to plug in your headphones directly to the controller. This is got to be one of my favourite functions I found as of yet.

Very nice addition is the 'share' button on the controller. The console constantly records your game play (cant remember how far back), but should you click the share button, it allows you to post last few minutes of your game play on website.

I am not going to give any reviews on the games as I only have Black Flag and Kill Zone. All the good titles are not yet available.
The graphics in the two above is very impressive, in particular in the black flag. I do however believe, that they show only fraction of PS4 capabilities, and it will be future releases that will unlock the PS4 full potential.

I have a Launch Day PS2, PS3 and PS4.

No wife though.... no surprise there I guess.

Gran Turismo anyone?

I understand BBC iPlayer was added after launch, but what about ITV player, 4OD, etc?

I understand BBC iPlayer was added after launch, but what about ITV player, 4OD, etc?

All available after you sign in to PSN account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom