Anyone been to Annecy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two or three times actually, although luckily not for a couple of years.

Wouldn't be seen dead in a Beamer though. :ban:

Went through it on the way to the Alps.

It seemed to be one large traffic jam.

Reports say the area is popular with walkers and cyclists.....

That'll be a big no from me then!!

The reports sounds horrific for what has always seen like a peaceful corner of Europe. What on earth has happened.

Been to Annecy a couple of times as a stop over when driving to Italy. Stayed a couple of days each time, thought it was a lovely place with a great market (french markets take some beating). This situation looks horrendous though.

Dreadful business.

Been to Grenoble and to the area, but not to Annecy as such.

For those who speculate.... and I know some would rather not.

1. Random attack by a madman

2. Random attack by an extremist

3. Targeted attack at the family

4. Targeted attack but mistaken identity

Personally, I find No. 2 the most worrying, as these things tend to start a trend. No. 1 and 4 are just (very) bad luck.

Hope the injured girl makes a full recovery, and that both girls manage to get on with their lives which have barely began.

Stayed there one night with the ex many years ago. It was a lovely peaceful place. We were also in a BMW ... if only the gunman (or woman, let's not be sexist) had been around then!

does not A210AMG go there quite a lot?

its an horiffic attack and as others have said "what are your chances..."-very bad luck

The father of a British family shot dead in the French Alps has been named by police as Saad Al-Hilli from London.
Mr Al-Hilli, 50, was born in Baghdad, Iraq, and lived in Claygate, Surrey.
He is believed to have been the secretary of a Wiltshire-based aerial photography company, AMS 1087, since 2007.
Mmm!

The father of a British family shot dead in the French Alps has been named by police as Saad Al-Hilli from London.
Mr Al-Hilli, 50, was born in Baghdad, Iraq, and lived in Claygate, Surrey.
He is believed to have been the secretary of a Wiltshire-based aerial photography company, AMS 1087, since 2007.
Mmm!

Thanks.

I just looked up the link read that the other girl was in fact not shot but severely beaten and suffers a fractured skull.

France shooting: Father named as Saad Al-Hilli - Telegraph

Not exactly " sleepy hollow" then ?

Hillah during the U.S. Invasion of Iraq

Hillah was the scene of relatively heavy fighting in the 2003 invasion of Iraq on and around April 1, 2003. Iraqi casualties from the Medina Division of the Republican Guard were unknown but heavy, with several hundred reported to have been killed in fierce fighting with the United States Army (2-70th Armor, Ft. Riley, KS). After the battle with the RG Medina Division the US Army forces moved to Baghdad and the U.S. Marine forces took over responsibilities in Al Hillah.

Shortly after the invasion a mass grave site was reported by locals to be in the area around Hillah. Local citizens and members of ORHA worked together to exhume thousands of Iraqis who had been killed by Saddam Hussein's security forces during the uprising against his government in 1991.

The 1st Marine Division had established a base at one of Saddam Hussein's Palaces about one mile north of Hillah. This also happened to be the historical site of Babylon and further damaged the ruins of the ancient city.[citation needed] The 372nd Military Police Company had performed law and order and Iraqi Police training in the city from June 2003 to October 2003 prior to moving on to Abu Ghraib prison. The city was part of the Polish military zone under the occupation of Iraq.

After the initial invasion, Hilla was relatively peaceful, but it then became the scene of numerous bomb attacks.

In February, 2004, insurgents tried but failed to blow up a camp run by Hungarian troops with truck bombs.
February 28, 2005 saw the deadliest single insurgent attack up till then, when a car bomb killed 125 people outside a medical clinic.
On May 30, 2005, two suicide bombers killed 31 Shia police, and wounded 108 Shia police.
On September 30, 2005, a car bomb exploded in a vegetable market in Hilla, killing 10 and wounding 30 others.
On January 2, 2007, at least 73 people were killed and more than 160 were injured when two suicide bombers blew up themselves at a gathering of Shia militias.
On February 1, 2007, a pair of suicide bombers detonated explosives among shoppers at a crowded outdoor market, killing at least 45 people and wounding approximately 150.[2]
On March 6, 2007, 114 people were killed and at least 147 people were wounded in two car bomb attacks on a Shia shrine.
On May 10, 2010, a series of three to four suicide car bombs at the 'State Company for Textile Industries' in the city killed a total of 45 people and left 140 wounded.[3]

My guess [ pure speculation of course ]---- this guy was someone who "needed to get out of Iraq" for reasons unspecified and started a new life in the UK. Sounds as if his past may have finally caught up with him and his family.:dk:

I think we'll have to wait until his real name is revealed before we can Google it... Al-Hilli would be an assumed name, which is a usual custom in Arab countries (i.e. nothing suspicious about that).

As is, incidentally, being called Abu- (for a men) or Oom- (for a woman) with the first-born son's name in the suffix.

Thanks.

I just looked up the link read that the other girl was in fact not shot but severely beaten and suffers a fractured skull.

From listening to the press conference (with my admittedly ropey French) it would seem that the 7-yo was shot in the shoulder, suffered multiple fractures to the skull, and is undergoing emergency surgery although her overall condition is improving.

Looks like the other adults received a minimum of 5 shots each in the head...

Hopefully all will go well with the older sibling - shocking thing to have happened in a lovely part of the world. Seems to have a lot of hallmarks pointing towards an organised hit.

Looks like the other adults received a minimum of 5 shots each in the head...

Hopefully all will go well with the older sibling - shocking thing to have happened in a lovely part of the world. Seems to have a lot of hallmarks pointing towards an organised hit.

Poor French cyclist.

Dreadful business.

Been to Grenoble and to the area, but not to Annecy as such.

For those who speculate....

Any chance of speculating this elsewhere? The diatribe will ruin an informative thread...:)

Does anyone know whether the empty front passenger seat was occupied by the Girl that was shot and beaten, if not, where is that occupant and could that be the shooter?

1. Random attack by a madman

2. Random attack by an extremist

3. Targeted attack at the family

4. Targeted attack but mistaken identity

5. Mossad hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom