Anyone fancy a pint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

I was born in 1973 and have memories of my Dad going for a few late pints at last orders to the pub down the road. Sometimes mum would go with him. (I had older sisters)

I served my time on building sites in the 90's where many of the lads would also go to the pub together on a Friday afternoon to celebrate the start of the weekend.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went to the/a pub for a drink (without a meal involved) even though there's a perfectly nice pub in our village. It just doesn't interest me.

Is it a result of modern day life and the fact that there's so many ways of comunicating nowadays that we don't crave the social aspect of going for a pint?

So, my question is how my members here frequent their local to prop up the bar?

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was born in 1973 and have memories of my Dad going for a few late pints at last orders to the pub down the road. Sometimes mum would go with him. (I had older sisters)

I served my time on building sites in the 90's where many of the lads would also go to the pub together on a Friday afternoon to celebrate the start of the weekend.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went to the/a pub for a drink (without a meal involved) even though there's a perfectly nice pub in our village. It just doesn't interest me.

Is it a result of modern day life and the fact that there's so many ways of comunicating nowadays that we don't crave the social aspect of going for a pint?

So, my question is how my members here frequent their local to prop up the bar?

Ant.

I regularly frequent local watering holes in my town outside of London, mostly once a week, however I also do the same with pubs close to work. A pint after work, with colleagues or mates that work in London, feels natural and part of London culture.

For me, more often than not, it is a pint or two with no food. If staying for a couple more I would get some food just to keep me going ;) If I head out during the weekend with the missus then it may be to a pub that serves lunch but as I am the driver in the family that means a soft drink with lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you Ant, I never go to a pub just for a drink. I commute by car so a pint or two after work isn't the brightest idea, and I spend evening and weekends with my family, and even then it feels like I don't spend enough time with them.

It amazes me that pubs which don't have a good busy restaurant can stay open these days, it's so sad to see so many closing down, but I guess that's how our culture is evolving.

Nearly every Thursday night, though early doors only. :)

Used to do a lot more but realised that 1. It was costing me a fortune, and 2. It wasn't doing my health much good.

I still like a drink which is why I don't mind the meets around the country as it gives me a chance to stay over and get out for a few pints, though if I do have a weekend away I don't do the Thursday before.

I don't drink at home though, as I prefer to live alone nowadays, but I feel that I need to get out at least once a week just for a bit of company and a chat, and the pub seems a logical place for this.

My local pub has been turned into one of those gastro pubs, lost all the atmosphere of a local pub, shame.

My local pub has been turned into one of those gastro pubs, lost all the atmosphere of a local pub, shame.

This is happening to a lot of them but would you rather they close or turn into gastro pubs? Since I moved to my town, only 5yrs ago, 6 local pubs have closed and one changed hands 4 times. As I commute by tube, and live near the town centre, it makes it easier to pop out for a swift one so it does take some discipline not to just use the shrapnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of pubs have closed or had to re-invent themselves as there has never been such a gap in the price of alcohol in even a modest pub (let alone “trendy” town centre ones) and the price of alcohol in supermarkets with their relentless cut-price offers designed to bring punters through the door.

The latter has also led to much more "pre-loading” at home before heading off to pubs and bars later in the evening.

I go out with a couple of mates for a "session" around 3 times a year...that`s it!

Never these days and not for a while now - at least a year or two anyway.

If I fancy a drink, I normally have a can or two or San Miguel and then I'm fine for another week or two. I am not willing to pay £4/£4.50 a pint from my local which is about a two minute walk away, so I buy beer from the supermarket. I also don't have any interest in going to our local pub.

My other half hardly ever drinks either except when with friends or a night out but that is not very often, but would not involve our local anyway.

We do go out for meals and I drink then although that is now and again, but again, would not involve our local.

We used to sometimes eat at our local when some of my family were closer and my mum was still around, but I've probably used our local 10 > 20 times in 10 years. We also used to go to other places more.

I go to our local pub a couple of times a week but never drink more than 3 pints. It's a 'shop' pub and I tend to use it to watch the football in the winter and for an hour out the house in the summer. I know most of the punters in there but only for a nod or a hello. I'm the guy in the corner on his tablet or with a classic car mag.
We don't do the gastro pubs round here because in our opinion they serve rubbish food and have rubbish service.

From time to time I will go to the pub and have a pint without a meal. - More often than not it's a car club meet and we're using a pub car park, so it seems rude not to have one... but no more than that or I can't drive home again.
I think people have become a lot more conscious about not drink driving.

Other than that; someone leaving work or celebrating a birthday are about the only time I'd drop-in for a pint.

We walked to the polling station on Thursday and as we had to walk back past the pub we went in and had a drink. Only one each, don't think they'll be getting rich off us anytime soon.

Thinking about it, that's probably the first time this year that I've been in a pub just for a drink this year (in this country, at least). I thought £8 for two pints was a bit rich as well, although it has to be said cheaper than Stockholm. I was there in February and 2 pints cost me £18! Not a place to go out on the lash..

Cheers,

Gaz

All the time!
I was born in '72
I live on my own in a very small rural village a few miles from the local market town(where BFT is), there is no shop and only the pub in the village.
It's a proper pub with a proper community spirit, we all spend hours with each other no matter what age/sex/race people are, either together like a big party at times or as individuals if thats what you want.
There are a fair few tourists who stay in the local B and B's who are from all over the world, they are always welcomed with open arms.

You couldn't get a nicer place to go for a Pint......you don't go for the pint :D

As an owner of pubs I am "forced" to do a lot of product quality checks :D

Never really been a frequenter of pubs, I used to have a couple of drinks on a Wednesday night at my Sailing club after the mid week race, and currently have a couple once a when I play guitar at a monthly meetup. Apart from that it's always with a meal, most pubs seem to concentrate more on food these days, with some using large screen footy as a draw, which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Well. I was born in the fifties. Wooh Hoo, on the West Coast of Scotland. I learned my drinking at a very young age. This was when pubs were still male only domains and you needed a hole saw to cut through the fag smoke, just to see who you were talking too. Last orders would always involve several pints each with chasers and beer mats to sit on the top of the pints to keep the fag ash out the beer. This was due to last orders being the time when you had to legally pay for your last drink, but not to legally drink it!! You could do that at the Patron's pleasure.

Sadly, for me, it became a way of life and I now regret the many wasted times in the boozer with my "mates". As the years went by, I realised that they were not really mates at all, just a bunch of people who did what I was doing.

I stopped drinking when I got really ill (nothing to do with drinking) and never missed it. I suddenly discovered a whole new chapter and whole new me. I like the new me and my new sober lifestyle. I do miss my 'sessions' after golf on a Sunday. That was almost an institution. I don't miss it enough to wish to return.

I'm still fun and still have a laugh but now without the hangovers.

Weekly with colleagues straight from work. Granted we are all in Copenhagen/Stockholm away from family so it easy to arrange and get away with.

But starting this week I replacing it with the gym!! I want to start my new job in a few months about a stone lighter!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But starting this week I replacing it with the gym!! I want to start my new job in a few months about a stone lighter!!!

Good on you Lenno. Keep us posted on the new look you. :thumb:

Never really been a frequenter of pubs, I used to have a couple of drinks on a Wednesday night at my Sailing club after the mid week race,

Funnily enough, when I was still racing I used to have a pint or two when the presentations were on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom