Anyone got a boiling water tap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kit17

Car
W205 C63
Hi was just wondering if anyone had one installed and your thoughts on it?

Also was interested in knowing which make you have and whether it's been reliable as I 've heard Hard water(which we have) can cause them problems.

I was thinking of getting a Quooker like this:

Modern kraan | Quooker boiling-water taps

Any input greatly appreciated!

thanks

We've had one for a few years now and it had been very good. You're supposed to replace the filter every six months though, which can be costly. Ours is a Insinkerator but I'm sure these days there are better ones out there (ours only go up to 98C). We live in a hard water area, no issues as yet.

We've had one for a few years now and it had been very good. You're supposed to replace the filter every six months though, which can be costly. Ours is a Insinkerator but I'm sure these days there are better ones out there (ours only go up to 98C). We live in a hard water area, no issues as yet.

I don't think any go beyond 98oC...it could be too dangerous.

Edit; I could be wrong. Some say boiling and hot water.

Last edited:
It sounds like overkill - the kettle gets boiled in our household about twice daily. It is fast boil kettle so a total of about 4 minutes boil time per day.

How much energy is used having permanently boiled water on tap I wonder?

I know there is a fridge option for the S class range, but I didn't know that there is a boiling tap option now too ;)

It sounds like overkill - the kettle gets boiled in our household about twice daily. It is fast boil kettle so a total of about 4 minutes boil time per day.

Stand by costs about 3p per day...so about a quarter of a KwH...not much. But they do cost hundreds to buy. A kettle is cheaper.

Quooker claim a cost of 3p per day left in standby (the tank is vacuum insulated, like a Thermos flask).

my mums got one - she says its great. my mrs says it makes a pants cup of Tea. Great for quick cooking and ok for coffee I suppose.

Thanks for everyone's input, we are still undecided!

We are having a extension and new kitchen put in and are looking for worthwhile upgrades.

One thing we are definitely going for is a water softener, I've heard the BWT ones are good, any recommendations on this?

We are having a extension and new kitchen put in and are looking for worthwhile upgrades.

One thing we are definitely going for is a water softener, I've heard the BWT ones are good, any recommendations on this?

Got a nuwave md260 - works fine.

Try Pozzani for filters. We use them for our fridge filters, much cheaper than OEM

Can't say I like the idea of them, I don't think it would make tea as freshly drawn water would and I can't really think of another use for it. Think I'll stick to a kettle.

Aside from the good points above, I just don't think they represent anything like value for money.

can I borrow this thread and ask if anyone has used/fitted an undersink water filter ie like this

UNDERSINK WATER FILTER KIT / UNDERSINK DRINKING WATER TAP SYSTEM | eBay

I am currently working on the kitchen and intend to put in a water softener so whilst I have my head in the cupboard doing the plumbing it seems a good time to fit !

flying haggis said:
can I borrow this thread and ask if anyone has used/fitted an undersink water filter ie like this

UNDERSINK WATER FILTER KIT / UNDERSINK DRINKING WATER TAP SYSTEM | eBay

I am currently working on the kitchen and intend to put in a water softener so whilst I have my head in the cupboard doing the plumbing it seems a good time to fit !

We've just replaced the taps in our kitchen, toyed with the idea of a boiling water tap, but dismissed it for the reasons others have stated here. Our kitchen work surface is a 1930's solid teak around a butler sink, taking the old taps out left two holes in the work surface. We bought a cold water Brita (Solo Nebula) filter tap for one and a Gessi (Oxygen Tower) mixer tap for the other.

The Brita was on a clearance special in Wickes for about £70 IIRC, whilst the Gessi was just under £200. Both well worth the money spent and the half days work of dropping the butler sink for fitting, not to mention the very happy mrs Nero.

Would be very wise not to install a softener if you're going to be drinking or cooking with the water. Water softeners and water filters are totally different things. The resin used in water softeners replaces the hard minerals in the water with sodium, which as we all know if v bad for you health - kidneys and hypertension. Also v bad to let kids drink it too. It would be like adding salt to everything you drink or any food cooked with water. There's also the risk of microbial contamination. If you're going to install anything, make it a replaceable drinking water filter- these just remove chlorine and other artificial impurities that make water taste or smell better, and can be changed regularly to ensure their cleanliness and efficacy. The only safe applications for domestic water softeners are for use by the washing machine/dishwasher and the shower/bath, and then the benefits are minimal unless you're worried about the effect of your shampoo on your hair do.......

Would be very wise not to install a softener if you're going to be drinking or cooking with the water. Water softeners and water filters are totally different things. The resin used in water softeners replaces the hard minerals in the water with sodium, which as we all know if v bad for you health - kidneys and hypertension. Also v bad to let kids drink it too. It would be like adding salt to everything you drink or any food cooked with water. There's also the risk of microbial contamination. If you're going to install anything, make it a replaceable drinking water filter- these just remove chlorine and other artificial impurities that make water taste or smell better, and can be changed regularly to ensure their cleanliness and efficacy. The only safe applications for domestic water softeners are for use by the washing machine/dishwasher and the shower/bath, and then the benefits are minimal unless you're worried about the effect of your shampoo on your hair do.......

Hi, I understand what you are saying and we are going to install a filter tap for drinking and cooking. Living in East Anglia our water is very hard, we get bad limescale marks and build up everywhere, even straight after cleaning.
A few of our friends have softeners fitted and they all seem to recommend them, I think it's worth the cost.

I have removed a few this year due to the above reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom