Anyone got this problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Worth a go for £20. Interested to see if the kit is any good.

I think they're tiny cracks, so polishing might be a waste of time & money, but for £20 might as well give it a bash when i get round to it.

I usually sand them down with 800 wet n dry then 1200 finish off with 2000 then
Farecla G3 by hand or on small polishing sponge in the drill
finish off with glass cleaner then use GTechniq C4 for UV protection.

Take your time as the longer you spend cutting back the better the polishing result.

i have seen on you tube using toothpaste, so wont cost you anything, just look on you tube for it.

The 3M kit uses similar method using P500,P800,P3000 & then a polish compound like Autoglym resin polish.

i have seen on you tube using toothpaste, so wont cost you anything, just look on you tube for it.

I saw this a while ago and actually tried it last week on a car I'm not fussed about.

Results were excellent. Really surprised me.

I'll get some pictures of how it turned out. Unfortunately forgot to get before pics but it looked similar to what has been posted here.

Surely Autoglym resin polish is better than toothpaste?:confused:

For tha car that is....:D

I get a problem with the RX each year as the headlights start going "yellow" gradually, I think the plastic is just getting old now (11 years) and each year before winter I give them a really good cutting back with T-Cut and after finish with AG polish, they alway look like brand new after, it's obviously just a surface problem luckily and not deep within the plastic.

Try a small patch with T-Cut first for 10 minutes or so.

Surely Autoglym resin polish is better than toothpaste?:confused:

For tha car that is....:D

AG Polish is a polish, toothpaste is a mild cutting agent just like T-Cut but tastes better :D

Actually i might try T-cut & toothpaste & see what happens, got to be careful when using the toothpaste...neighbours talk you know;)

Mrs M would be on the phone to the doctor if I started using toothpaste on
the cars,luckily I have glass in my headlights...they just don't understand do
they?as for neighbours.........:eek:

I've tried it without success. I believe it has to be done either early morning or just before going to bed at night.

AG Polish is a polish, toothpaste is a mild cutting agent just like T-Cut but tastes better :D

Resin polish has a light cutting abrasive in iirc as it's a paint restorer with a filler in it. AG high gloss is a polish wax sealer. Weather it would do anything on the lights is another matter.

I tried the Meguiars kit with reasonable success. The longer time spent on them the better the finish I found. No doubt there are better products to use, but as a simple fix the kit is OK.

Before
20131028_145030_zps69ed75d3.jpg

After
20131028_1521241_zps7ce8d8a5.jpg

Last edited:
Use 1200 grit wet and dry (wet with a bucket of water and fairy), hard work but better than scratching the hell out of the lenses with a coarser paper, then use 2000 grit or higher W and D (if you cant find ultra fine wet and dry use a magic eraser sponge again wet, approx 3000 grit with light pressure) , then finish with SRP. and use a wax or sealant over the top. Total cost, less than £2 presuming you have SRP (or similar) and a wax in the garage, and about 45 mins time each lens in time.

Forgot to say theres a coating on headlamp lenses that is as hard as glass, i mean really hard, that has to be broken through to clean the lens.

I am a newbie here but used very much to classic cars and perspex winsscreens. for any light cutting back may I recommend you this product? It's brilliant on Perspex and virtually any softish material. I've been using it for 10 years at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom