Anyone had a G wagon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2m

Car
AMG GTS ED1
Thinking about a G wagon. Looked on Autotrader and only saw 20 plus year cars for around. 15 to 20k. On Mercedes used ones that were 4 years old around 50 or 60k. All for the 350 diesel variants.

Cheers

Have a look at Palfrem's threads - he bought one recently.

I owned a 1990 280GE, 15mpg wherever I went. Built like a brick out house with front and back bumpers made of 6mm thick C shaped iron painted black. I hit a lorry when driving in Cornwall, wrote the lorry off and only did a couple of hundred pounds of damage to the G. I sold it at 5 years old for around £14000, I see the same model is fetching higher than that, they really do hold there prices. I know nothing of the newer versions, but for the price of them, they must be as good although maybe not so sturdily built :D

No , but a few have had G Wagens .

I owned a 1990 280GE, 15mpg wherever I went. Built like a brick out house with front and back bumpers made of 6mm thick C shaped iron painted black. I hit a lorry when driving in Cornwall, wrote the lorry off and only did a couple of hundred pounds of damage to the G. I sold it at 5 years old for around £14000, I see the same model is fetching higher than that, they really do hold there prices. I know nothing of the newer versions, but for the price of them, they must be as good although maybe not so sturdily built :D

My 280E , 280CE , 280TE and 280SE all did 15-18 mpg , such was the fuel efficiency of the M110 , and not so much what it was hauling around - the 280E was manual , not that it made any difference .

Had a 1988 280 ge for 4 years. Sold at auction last year. Asking prices are a joke compared to selling prices for the 460. Mine was beautiful. Loved it the same way I loved my old fergie t20. Mid teens about right. Didn't really let me down but there was always something needed fettling. There was a red one asking 20,000 with 60000 miles on it about a year before I sold mine. I got just under 10 for mine with 70000 on the clock and last I saw the red one was down to 12 or 13 asking. I would probably only have a 463 again as the 460 is really a bit agricultural. That suited my wife and I ( couldn't prise the keys from her hands...) but if you wanted to get one car everyday usage you'd want a 463.

An experience. Didn't regret it for a minute and would have another in a flash if I had the room again for more cars....

Welcome to pm me for more info.

Had a LHD 300 diesel about 25 years ago. It was good on farm grounds where it was primarily used. A bit awkward to drive in the beginning but you get used to them quickly. If you plan to drive one on roads, I'd look at GLx variant. Much more refined and comfy for daily use.

My dad had a old A reg g wagen , what a fantastic tall go almost anywhere , rather basic inside with it's brown /light brown chequered seats and black everything else , was not very fuel efficient , dad was always filling it up as I can remember ,
I'm tempted my a newish one myself , but just to much for a couple of year old model

I have a 2008 G320CDI left hand drive. Bought new in Austria. 22mpg on the motorway, 25mpg local on A roads etc. Not really a motorway cruiser.

I have a1994 300 GEL petrol auto Jap import.

Pretty much as good as new in the bodywork department.

Built like tanks
Bouncy ride
Hopeless fuel consumption
Lots of wind noise
No heated seats, parking sensors or any frills at all really.

I really like it. I like it a lot.

My wife prefers driving the G over our previous Range Rover.

Had lots of positive vibes from other drivers and pedestrians.

If you are in the M42 J4 area anytime....

Thanks guys for all the feedback.
Looking at the interior of the newer vehicles they look just like any other Mercedes inside i.e. Quite a nice place to be.
I was wondering if the on road manners would be good too. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom